Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. The economy must be even better than I assumed, my truck needed to have some servicing done and the first slot was six weeks out! Did not see that one coming.
    popscycle likes this.
  2. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts Supporter

Oddometer:
    from my point of view , which is standing behind a parts counter, the economy is doing very good,
    popscycle likes this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer about the goose John. Yes; lucky you were not on the bike.
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's Going On Here Is Beer Instead Of Milk: What's going here is the transformation of a farmstead, from a focus on farming to one of brewing beer and serving food. You could see the transformation happening over the years. The farm stand morphed into a BBQ operation. Then, a post and beam barn building was gradually constructed. More recently, a sign went up explaing it all.

[​IMG]

The post and beam barn has become a microbrewery and pub house.

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like it in the picture above but there were hundreds of cars parked in the field. I went into the main part of the barn, which was mostly deserted.

[​IMG]

Since it was a nice day, most everyone was outdoors. Off to the left was the brewery, which was wall-to-wall people there for the 'roll in the hay'. That would be the "Roll In The Hay IPA" that was being sold. You couldn't see the brew kettles for all the people so I didn't take any pictures. It is assumed that any inmate worth his or her oil will know what those look like. As for the partially demo on the old farmhouse, I could not get any information on that. If they were smart, IMHO, they'd turn it into a 1700s style tavern/inn (like that in the Wayside Inn). The Stone Cow is located at coordinates 42.424762, -72.124251.

Summary: The family farm becomes the family microbrewery.

Note: I have no affiliation with or interest in the above-mentioned enterprise.
    tjzondrz, Shaggie, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  5. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man that looks nice, and not a TV in sight!
    B10Dave and The Opa like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; wife, daughter and grand daughter flew out last night for a week visiting Mickey & Minnie. That leaves me 100% in charge of my plans for the next week without any "foreign" influence. Weather was not bad today so I went on a bridge photo tour.
    First one is the Sparta Line bridge over Kettle Creek in Southwold Township here in Elgin County in Southern Ontario. It is a metal 12 panel rivet connected double intersection Warren through truss. This is an uncommon construction outside of my area.
    bridges 002.jpg

Next one is the Jamestown Line bridge over Rush Creek in Malahide Township, Elgin County. Also a double intersection Warren through truss design.

bridges 010.jpg

Third bridge is the railway bridge over Kettle Creek in Port Stanley in Central Elgin Township in Elgin County. Originally built for the London and Port Stanley Rail Road; it is now owned by the tourist line Port Stanley Terminal Rail. It is a 7 panel rivet connected Pratt through truss design.

bridges 004.jpg

And the bonus pic.....Port Stanley Terminal Rail Easter Egg train on the bridge.

bridges 009.jpg
    tjzondrz, KMichael, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The place where I took the train on the bridge pic also yielded this one of a young mother to be getting ready to raise another generation of windshield demolition experts.:-):-) :imaposer

bridges 006.jpg
  8. savetheclutch

savetheclutch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love your thread!! I am planning a weekend trip to the Mohawk trail/Mass Moca, any recommendations or must check out places/roads? we are riding a hypermotard and a monster 1200 going up saturday morning heading back sunday from NYC

TIA!
    popscycle likes this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Glad you're enjoying the thread. For your continued riding pleasure, I can recommend several good Trail offshoots for your motos. Here's several that should put a smile on your face. Assuming you're coming from the west:
    1. Take Whitcomb Road off Rt 2 in Florida at coordinates 42.682460, -73.018161. Follow it on down to the Deerfield River. If you turn left, you'll come to the famous and ghostly Hoosac Tunnel (pull off left just as you go over the tracks. You can continue on past the tunnel to Monroe Bridge and really get into the (good) back roads or turn around and follow River Road back along the Deerfield River back to Charlemont. Lots of hills and curves.
    2. If you head to Monroe Bridge, get off River Road at Depot Street (42.721988, -72.941464), go across the river and wind your way east to 8A.
    3. Take 8A South off of Rt 2 in Charlemont (coordinates 42.626686, -72.882329) until you come to 116 (coordinates 42.540887, -72.941103). Turn left (east) on 116 and follow it to Ashfield and then Conway. At Conway, take Shelburne Falls Road north till it comes to Bardwell's Ferry Road at coordinates 42.531968, -72.700955. Follow Bardwell's Ferry Road, which passes by Cosby's place, back to Rt2. There's a detour as you get closer to Rt 2. Follow it.
    4. I you like slow and very winding (well paved) mountain roads then see if you can go up Mt. Greylock from North Adams. Weather can be tricky up there this time of year (e.g., cold, high winds, rain, ice/snow).
    You can, of course, follow these paths going the other way if you're coming from the east on Rt 2 into the Berkshires. Living closer to Worcester,I like to ride Rt 2 west at speed and then leisurely backtrack along some or all of the above. Perhaps others will chime in on this. R2?
    B10Dave and savetheclutch like this.
  10. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    Hey Pops...and anyone else interested in steam trains!
    THE FIRE IS LIT !!!
    This picture just showed up on the internet.
    The Big Boy in the steam shop in Cheyenne....
    with SMOKE COMING FROM THE STACK!!
    The biggest steam engine ever built is warming
    up the boiler!
    For the first time in 60 years!
    Five years of restoration is about to pay off!
    The Big Boy is gonna run again!

Screenshot from 2019-04-22 20-05-44.png
    B10Dave, KMichael, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  11. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mt. Greylock is a fun ride and a great view if it's clear. Make sure you do both sides (e.g. if you enter from the North, leave from the South), doesn't take very long. I second the 8A/116 route out of Charlemont. Actually all the little roads in that area are fun. A little further south: take Tyringham road south from Lee to Otis, then Rt 8 south to Rt 57, then either East or West (both are fun).
    savetheclutch and popscycle like this.
  12. savetheclutch

Oddometer:
    thank you!!
    popscycle likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I believe the Mt. Greylock roads are closed until June 1. That said, I will post detailed directions for the (nearly) ultimate "Off the Mohawk Trail ride and up Mt Greylock" later today.
    savetheclutch likes this.
  14. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you been to Collinsville, CT? A largely intact mill town, the company once owned almost 200 houses (duplexes rented to employees) and built the church, and some stores. Collins was the largest maker of axes in the world, and made all manner of bladed tools. The mill buildings today house small businesses. I think you would enjoy it, and would find many photo ops there. For more, see the website "visitcollinsville."
    popscycle likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you! It's now on the Redhead's Nav list of places to go (i.e. her dance card). We greatly appreciate your pointing this out to us.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Mt. Greylock Loop: Below is a pic of a favorite ride - The Greylock Loop. It is shown as a Garmin Basecamp screen shot.

[​IMG]

There are two three key features to this little trek. One is the quality of roads. The last time I rode this, they were all good and capable of supporting some spirited, if not stupid, riding. This is to say lots of hills, sweepers, twisties and views. The second feature is traversing both side of Mt. Greylock, which has some killer views sprinkled amoung the twisties. The roads up and down Greylock will tempt you mightly but resist the urge to get carried away, lest you get carried away in some cage. The third key feature is that the route covers the best of the Mohawk Trail. Finally just a reminder that the roads up/down Greylock don't open until June 1. The total time, sans stops, is about 2 hours and 15 minutes observing speed limits. Enjoy!
  17. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Train pix!

Stupid trees in the way.

RIMG9521.jpg

Better angle.

RIMG9523.jpg

Taken in Williams, AZ.
    B10Dave, KMichael, zookster and 2 others like this.
  18. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're quite welcome! I haven't been to Collinsville since I was a lad, but it's on my shortlist too once I get some free time to ride!
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That is a lovely old Mikado that should be preserved, if not restored to operating condition. Thanks for the taking the time to stop and take the pic. Appreciate it! You just can't have too many pics of old steamers.
  20. savetheclutch

Oddometer:
    we might have to postpone or do multiple trips up there, thank you for the info! is there any way to share that loop?