Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Below is the .gpx file for the Mt. Greylock loop. Later today or tomorrow, I will post other loops/routes mentioned. IMHO, the area is worth at least two trips. Now with forsythia in bloom, things are starting to pretty up.

Attached Files:

savetheclutch likes this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It's Always Something, Vol. XXXIV: It was a beautiful day today with blue skies and nearly perfect riding temps. The hope of getting the redhead out for a spin in the AM were dashed with flooring sub-contractor issues. After wolfing down an antipasto salad for lunch, hopes rose again that the auto glass folks would come early to replace the Miata windshield. They said they would be here after 12 and before 5 PM. I hung around until about 5 before 5 and started to put the Miata back in the garage when the truck pulled up. They got the address right and the town wrong but had the new windshield installed in about an hour of very meticulous work. In any event, the MX5 got new glass, the house a new hardwood floor and the redhead yet another day of battery tender.

[​IMG]

I've no real complaints or issues with all of this (i.e., they're nice problems to have) but have reached an age where we've the right to grouse about such things. It's just the gods of riding who're not smiling at present. (iPhone photo)
    bluestar, Shaggie, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  3. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts Supporter

Oddometer:
    needs a little goose sticker on the fender , like the fighter pilots
    Shaggie, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Hoosac Loops: The area around the Hoosac Range (they 're small mountains that are part of the Appalachian Range) makes for good riding.

[​IMG]

The scenic Deerfield River plus the haunted and historical Hoosac Tunnel are part of this riding parcel. The picture above was taken on the bridge across the river at the intersection of River Rd. and Whitcomb Hill Rd. This post details two, on-road, enjoyable riding loops through the area. The first loop includes the best part of the Mohawk Trail (i.e., the span from Florida to Charlemont, MA. This would be Hoosac Loop 2, immediately below.

[​IMG]

For those who've had enough of the Rt 2 (i.e., Mohawk Trail) section, below is the basic Hoosac Loop that takes River and Zoar roads between the Hoosac Tunnel and Charlemont.

[​IMG]

GPX files are below.

Attached Files:

bluestar, Shaggie, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding: Was out on the bike running errands today. On the way home from one run, I stopped to take this picture of the forsythia blooming by this nicely-preserved, classic, old colonial. It is a side view of the house.

[​IMG]

This time of year, when things are blooming, the camera stays in the tank bag to capture just such scenes.
    bluestar, Shaggie, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Barn Down The Road: Yesterday's errand runs on the bike took me by the barn just down the road. On the final ride by, I stopped to take yet another picture.

[​IMG]

You just don't find many old New England bank barns/carriage houses that are as well preserved as this one is. IMHO, it deserve to pose by itself.

[​IMG]

To say I like barns is probably unnecessary at this point.
    bluestar, B10Dave, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    F model still earning it's keep, switching in the Woodstock yard before returning to Ingersoll and Salford.

growth 006.jpg

growth 020.jpg
    zookster, bluestar, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Bunch Of Big Barns: Our little road has a number of barns within short walking distance of our carriage-house-to-be. There's another just across the road from where I took the picture in the previous post.

[​IMG]

This bank barn, shown below, is much newer. Built in 2002, it has a concrete and steel beam foundation sub-level with traditional post and beam construction on up. Of architectural note is the oversize cupola, which would make a nice small office or lounge area since it isn't needed for traditional barn use (i.e., as an air vent for drying hay).

[​IMG]

This structure is the town's community barn that sits on land dedicated to a town/community farm/food harvest project. As such, it operates both as a farm barn, community event space and offices for both the harvest project and town land trust. The land surrounding the barn is used to grow food crops.

[​IMG]

Riding through these seemingly-rural acres in the middle of an incorporated area reminds me of my youth living in a small farm town. For a brief moment, I was once again that gangling grade school kid exploring the countryside on a Cushman scooter.
    Shaggie, zookster, bluestar and 5 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:

Some Pics From The Wetland
    s: I think we'd mentioned that there is usually a pair of breeding swans in this area each spring. Well, this year was no exception and we got a picture of mama on the nest. I make it a point to go by there every day, hoping to get a pic of the cygnets, which generally spend more than one day in the nest once they hatch.

[​IMG]

As you would expect, there is also the occasional duck.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  10. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Parker, AZ

RIMG9536.jpg

RIMG9537.jpg
    B10Dave, The Opa, zookster and 4 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I was trying to get a swan photo that's half as good as your great goose shot without much success. This was the best nest shot of those I took. it's a deep nest and you cannot see the eggs. Nor will you likely see the babies until they're out and about.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, B10Dave, MadRider777 and 3 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Several Elements Of A Good Ride: Three elements of a good ride, if not a picture, would be (1) good weather, (2) dry dirt/gravel roads and (3) trains. These three ride aspects eclipse a less-than-stellar pic.

[​IMG]

Such rides get even better when spring rains let up, trees bud and foliage blooms. It's funny how age-related aches and diminish in league with increasing warmth and mountain greenery.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.
  14. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am still waiting, took the 690 out for about an hour yesterday during an unexpected "clearing" of the sky and it felt wonderful! Got back home just in time for another gully washer.
    popscycle likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We are well above average in rainfall and staring at more for the rest of this week. Even when it was dry, there's a lot of dirt that's washed out into the road, especially in corners. With all this rain has come the inevitable dirt and slop that's making the redhead, as well as the cars, dirtier than ever before. As someone who like to keep things clean but is long of tooth and short of time, I got fed up with cleaning and popped for a new tool for the garage.

[​IMG]

Somebody's deck is going to get cleaned too. Also, I know not to pressure wash close to seals and electricals.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.
  16. FadinFast

FadinFast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please mention how this works for you. I have had it in my mind for a couple of years to get one less than 1750. I was always afraid of damaging my machines. I have one scooter that is almost impossible to clean up by hand.Good luck!
    popscycle likes this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Will do. The main areas for more highly focused pressure cycle washing are the wheel rims, spokes, panniers, frame and fenders. I plan to use wider, less pressure sprays on other parts, such as non-electrical areas of the engine, making sure to keep the nozzle a proper distance away from things and avoid seals, bearings, etc with high pressure. The big benefit I am looking for is easy removal of mud. I hate having to wash off caked on mud/dirt/road crap and the hose doesn't cut it.

I should add that the pressure washer is planned to be the 'go to' tool for the cars, using the soap dispenser. We'll see how that goes also.
    Shaggie, B10Dave and FadinFast like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Lackawanna Lollygagging: Around this time last year, I was lollygagging around the old Lackawanna RR yard in Scranton, looking at some really toasty, bordering on ratty, old railroad stock. Below is one of the few previously unposted pictures from that excursion. We had planned to head out that way again about now but building issues and delays continue to keep us planted here. That plus a splitting head cold sent me into the stacks this morning to go thru old pics as a substitute for going out for a ride on yet another cold, gloomy and rainy day.

[​IMG]

Although not the best picture of RR preservation, it does remind one of several things. First, Steamtown has a new NPS superintendent. Maybe she will get more of the old engines out of the roundhouse on nice days so folks can walk around them. While she's at it, putting some paint and covers on Big boy 4012 would be a good idea. 4012 was also pretty ratty last year, as shown below.

[​IMG]

Second, and more importantly, Big Boy 4014 is now alive, under steam, out of the barn and has made a test run.

We should soon see more internet videos of the rejuvenated old boy running around.
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 7 others like this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; I have a pressure washer much like the one you bought. I love mine and use it all the time. Today was a pleasant one weatherwise so when I heard the St Thomas job heading back to Ingersoll I jumped on the Kawasaki and made sure to catch it at a couple of places on it's route. They were using the same engines that were on the Woodstock job last week so you get deja vu pics but at different locations.

may6 002.jpg

may6 003.jpg

may6 004.jpg

may6 005.jpg
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Cold and flu have got me down so I greatly appreciate your rides and pics.
    KMichael likes this.