Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike By Bucolic Bridge: Perhaps the bridge isn't all that bucolic but the road and stream are.

[​IMG]

This little bridge isn't the stuff of the "Show us your bike @ the bridge" thread but it is more pleasant that most. You can stop here, enjoy the stream and never see another bike, cage or person go by for hours.

[​IMG]

Also, the road is a hoot worth a woot.
    B10Dave, black 8, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Today's Train Fix: I needed one this afternoon and hauled this recent pic out of RAW

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, KMichael, zookster and 3 others like this.
  3. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Saw this in Gillette, WY a couple days ago. A mile long train of power units.

[​IMG]

tjzondrz, B10Dave, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  4. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    This needs a trip to the train wash!
    popscycle likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You certainly hit the railfan motherlode seeing that. Many thanks for the pic.
    B10Dave, The Opa and Shaggie like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I've always had the idea that if a company's stuff looks crappy, they probably are. I am reminded of this quote in the 1/12/17 issue of the Greenfield Recorder:

Pan Am Railways has worked hard to deserve its reputation as the North Korea of North American railroading . . .
    B10Dave and panzer like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Schwimmwagen: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 9th of these - the German Schwimmwagen.

[​IMG]

The Schwimmwagen was a 4-wheel drive, amphibious vehicle. If you look in back, it has a boat propeller. Steering in the water was done by using the front wheels as rudders. There was no reverse, so carrying paddles was required. The Schwimmwagen (SW) used the engine and other parts from the Type 1 car, better known as the VW Beetle. Armament was typically a MG-34 machine gun mounted on a swivel.

[​IMG]

The SW weighed 2,000 lbs and was powered by a 4-cylinder, air-cooled, 25hp VW boxer engine. The vehicle could travel 52 mph on land and 6 mph on water with a land range of 155 miles. Some 15,584 were built between 1941 and 1944 by Volkswagen and Porsche. Only some 189 of these vehicles are known by the Schwimmwagen Registry to remain today.

Below is an internet pic of the vehicle used by Goering.

[​IMG]

Looking at the pic above, the child in me was thinking, "Rub-a-dub-dub. Who's driving the V-Dub tub?" A more adult part thought, "Wer fährt die Badewanne?
    B10Dave, KMichael, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  8. panzer

Oddometer:
    It appears that Uncle Hermann is taking his stag for a ride
    popscycle likes this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Happyface Road: Another day, another ride, another great road! This one was paved, making it more feasible for an old fart to do some spirited, but not stupid, riding. One should assume there be critters around the bend.

[​IMG]

The sound of gurgling brook pairs well with the sound of burbling boxer.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, franken and 5 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Panzer V: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 10th of these - the Panzer V Panther.

[​IMG]

The Panzer V was a WWII German medium tank that saw action on both the eastern and western fronts. It weighed 49.4 tons and was powered by a 23L, 12-cylinder, 690 hp Maybach model HL230 P30 gasoline engine. The tank could travel 34 mph with a range of 120 miles on road or 62 off. The tank had 3.1 in. front armor and a 75 mm cannon. Some 5,976 were built between 1943 and 1945.

[​IMG]

This particular tank apparently participated in the battles near Warsaw and was scuttled when it fell through the ice on Poland's Czarna River on Jan. 1945. After spending over 50 years on the river bottom, it was recovered and faithfully restored by Jacques Littlefield. This is the only known, fully-operational Panzer V in the world and the only one on display in the U.S.
    tjzondrz, zookster, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  11. panzer

Oddometer:
    Now wait a minute here, this Panzer will be fully functional as soon as he gets to the southwest! - signed, Panzer
    B10Dave, zookster and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Would that be permanently on exhibit or eine Blitzreise? :lol3
    panzer likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Views From the Road - Heath: Below are several pics taken while passing through Heath, MA. First settled in 1765, this small town has somewhere around 700 to 800 residents spread across some 24.9 square miles.

[​IMG]

Down the street on the left is the community hall. To the right is the 1833 church, shown below. The town office is in the farthest building down on the right.

[​IMG]

The natives, should you run across any, are friendly. Several more pics to follow when I get them converted.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, zookster and 3 others like this.
  14. panzer

Oddometer:
    I have declared blitzkrieg on shit weather! If all goes well you will find me on permanent display near Tucson Arizona (with fully functional joints)
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well good for you. I've got two kids out in AZ near Tuscon. Aside the from the shit weather, rumor has it Lake Ontario water levels are such that the Thousand Islands area is now down to a lesser number, making it necessary to rename the salad dressing. True?
    zookster likes this.
  16. panzer

Oddometer:
    It sure is true, all the boat launches are now closed and some small streams are now backing up several miles inland, I might head up to Niagara Falls this week to see the epic amount of water which cannot be controlled. More blitzkrieg may be required.
    popscycle likes this.
  17. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    Gonna need pictures if you do go to Niagara Falls for sure. See all that water flowing over the falls. Never been there myself.

John
    popscycle likes this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Sd.Kfz. 8: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 11th of these - the Sd.Kfz. 8 German half-track vehicle that could be found with and among German tanks on the WWII battlefield.

[​IMG]

The German Sd.Kfz. 8 Sonderkraftfahrzeug was a another specialized, half-track, motorized vehicle used mostly as an artillery prime mover, hauling heavy towed guns such as the 21 cm Mörser 18, the 15 cm Kanone 18 and/ot the 10.5 cm FlaK 38. It was also used as an infantry transport vehicle. Approximately 4000 of these were built between 1938 and 1945 by Daimler Benz and other firms. various companies (e.g. Krupp, Krauss-Maffei, etc.) The vehicle had a 12-cylinder, 520 cu. in., 185 hp Maybach HL85 TUKRM engine and could do 32 mph on road or 13 off for 78 miles. It weighs 32,400 lbs and has a crew of from 2 to 11, depending.

The Sd.Kfz. 8 had a conventional ladder frame. It had a semi-automatic ZF transmission with 4 forward and 1 reverse gears. Both the tracks and wheels were used for steering with the tracks wheels suspended on swing arms with torsion bars. The front axle used more conventional leaf springs and shock absorbers.

This particular Sd.Kfz. is considered to be extremely rare. Built by Krauss-Maffei, it was captured by British troops in N. Africa around 1942/1943, used in the movie The Dirty Dozen with Lee Marvin at the wheel (near the end of the movie) and is the only one on display in the U.S.
    B10Dave, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding: You often see interesting things on little-used, off-the-beaten-path, gravel roads. One such thing recently was this abandoned abode made up of a plethora of disparate, connected structures.

[​IMG]

This is not the type of place you want to ride up to and explore unless you're carrying and have some heavy company. The place wasn't posted that I could see but the sound of banjos, real or imagined, made it a short, 1 snapshot stop.
    B10Dave, zookster, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  20. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I saw one of those, possibly the same one, at a "Wings and Wheels" show
    at an airport in Pa a few years ago. The owner was amazed that I actually
    knew what it was...and how to pronounce it!!
    He said I was the only person he saw that day who knew
    what it was!
    popscycle likes this.