Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Flak 36: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 12th of these - the German Flak 36 heavy anti-aircraft gun.

[​IMG]

The Flak 36 is a German 88 mm anti-aircraft and anti-tank artillery gun from WWII. The word Flak is a contraction of the German word Flugzeugabwehrkanone (i.e., aircraft defense cannon) and became the generic term for ground anti-aircraft fire. Also known as the 'German 88 or 'Acht-acht' in German, the Flak 36 was one of the most recognized and feared weapons of the second world war. Some 20,754 of these guns and variants were made 1933 and 1945. It was designed by Krupp with Bofors of Sweden in the early 30s. The gun weighed 18,000 lbs., had a crew of 10 and could fire 15-20 rpm with an effective range of 26,420 ft. for anti-aircraft and 6,500 ft. for anti-ground. The gun was typically towed behind a Sd.Kfz. half-track, like the ones posted previously, and could be set up and ready to fire in minutes.

[​IMG]

It is believed that the Flak 36 and its variants downed over 6,000 allied aircraft during WWiI and damaged some 27,000 others. There is no estimate as the the number of tanks it destroyed. This particular 88 was built in 1943 at Skoda in occupied Czechoslovakia.

Below is a video of the gun in action.

2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Electrified: The major thing biting into my riding time over the last 10 months has been attending to the myriad of daily details with the carriage house build. Along the way, there were milestones (e.g., hole in the ground, foundation, framing, roofing, siding, etc.) if not a light at the end of the tunnel. Last evening, though, we finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel. It was up in the cupola, signaling that the structure had electricity.

[​IMG]

As of today, there's still a bunch of work to be done (finish kitchen cabinet installation, install appliances, finish installing lights and outlets, final plumbing, cleaning, finish inside painting, finish fireplace, finish outside painting, install window screens, install gutters and downspouts, yard cleanup, landscaping, various inspections, etc.) but it's getting close. I am guessing that an occupancy permit can be had this month. We are fortunate to be getting this place to live in our senior years.
    tjzondrz, black 8, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  3. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:
    Congrats!! :clap
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    First Problem With The GS: It was time. With over 5 years and 50K miles, it was probably due. Went to start, the redhead turned over enthusiastically but wouldn't fire. Turned key off and then back on listening for the fuel pump - silence. Am thinking it's probably the FPC since the pump itself's never missed a beat. Anyway, it's going in tomorrow and we should hopefully get it back next week. Am happy this didn't happen on the road so I didn't have to wait out a tow. Fortunatly, I've still some road pics needing attention and will post those. Not being able to ride will give me some additional time for converting pics.
    B10Dave likes this.
  5. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    Uhhhhh....that is no good. Maybe a blown fuse too? More than likely, a bad fuel pump. I replaced the one on my GS a couple of years ago when it got really noisy, like it is ready to fail. The new one is much quieter.

John
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mine never got noisy. One day it is quietly humming along and the next silence. It could be a fuse but, I'd place my money on the fuel pump or fuel pump computer. And, in all probability, that's where some non-trivial amount of money will have to be placed. The local dealer's picking it up sometime tomorrow morning. The riding time loss isn't all that much since I'm spending most days running around looking for this or that, be it light fixtures, light bulbs, appliance parts or a myriad of other little things.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Higgins LCVP: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 13th of these - the American Higgins Boat. This is perhaps a fitting post for today since this particular boat is a survivor of the June 6 Normandy landing.

[​IMG]

These half-wood, half steel LCVPs (Landing Craft Vehicle, Personnel) were designed by Andrew Higgins, who built wooden boats in Louisiana for the backwaters and bayous of that area. Thinking ahead, Higgens was sure the Navy would need thousands of small boats and that steel would be in short supply. As a result, he purchased the entire 1939 crop of Philippine mahogany and stored it. He also built several test boats and demonstrated them to the Navy in 1941. Some 23,358 of these boats were built between 1942 and 1945 and were used in 6 major amphibious landings in the European theater and 128 landings in the Pacific, including Tarawa, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

[​IMG]

The boat weighs 18,000 lbs. unloaded and 26,100 fully loaded. It had a Gray Marine 6-71 diesel or Hall-Scott gas or diesel engine and could make 14 mph. The boat could carry 36 troops and 4 crew and had 2 Browning 30 caliber machine guns.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics of the military vehicles and guns John. Did you spot the restorers mistake on the ramp cables of the landing craft?
    popscycle likes this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Am interested to know what the restorer missed.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More On That Small Town: Several posts back we posted two pictures of the small town of Heath. With a little more time on our hands right now, here are more pictures of this very small town.

[​IMG]

We parked the bike at the church and walked around taking these pictures. You don't have to walk far as there's less than a half dozen building at or near the center of town. Next door to the church above was this well-maintained old colonial home. More often than not, these date back to the 1700s. I've no other data on this one (yet).

[​IMG]

Just down the street is the town assembly hall, shown below. These halls are typically used for various meetings, gatherings and socials. As you can see, this one has a kitchen (vent).

[​IMG]

Just across the street to the right in the picture above are two more structures, one of which houses the town's administrative offices is on the left. The structure on the right looks to be a residence.

[​IMG]

As previously mentioned, this tiny town was first settled in 1765 and incorporated in 1785. It was named after General Wm. Heath, who was in the national army during the Revolutionary War. There are currently somewhere between 700 and 800 people in the town with a makeup of less than 300 households. Thus, your chances of seeing anyone while riding through town are slim. I did have someone come out of the town office and wave as I rode by.
    Shaggie, KMichael, zookster and 3 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Kommandogerät 40: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 14th of these tank-related war items - the German Kommandogerät 40 (Kg40). The Kommandogerät 40 (i.e. command device 40) was an optical/mechanical computer used to track the approach angle, range and speed of a target. It was designed in the late 1930s and put into use in 1940.

[​IMG]

The Kg 40 was used primarily in conjunction with Flak batteries, such as the German 88. It was operated by a commander and crew of 5 or 6 other men. The information computed by the Kg 40 was transmitted to a group of 4 Flak gun positions, providing them with elevation, azimuth and fuse-setting data. It could track planes up to an altitude of 39,000 ft. and range of 11.1 miles. As an example, in the time it takes for an 88 projectile to reach 26,000 ft. high bomber traveling 160 mph, the bomber would have traveled over a mile - thus the need for a compter. Combined with the 88 Flak guns, the Kg 40 was deadly to slow-moving Allied bombers. The downside was its weight (i.e., 2,090 lbs. plus 1,890 lb. trailer) and complexity, which required a skilled, well-coordinated crew to operate.

It is believed that the Kg 40 above is only one of three in the world and the only one in the U.S.
  12. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    This is the kind of stuff I love! Obscure info on extremely important, state of the art tech that no one knows about. Dont like it was used against us. but still extremely interesting.
    panzer, popscycle and jeickerman like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I am with you on that. You get that feeling the moment you walk into the AHM.

[​IMG]

There's a ton of interesting technology down on that floor.
  14. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.44.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.45.59 PM.png
    B10Dave, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    go2cnavy likes this.
  16. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    Never saddle a dead horse.

17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Symbology Seen In The Wild: Just after Memorial Day, we again encountered this British FV433 Abbot SPG, shown below, in the exact same spot where we found it parked this time last year. Perhaps it is symbolic.

[​IMG]

Went by the spot again yesterday in the Miata and the SPG was still there but had been 'tagged' by some of the local miscreants. I do not use the word 'miscreants' lightly as this particular town now has a substantial problem with youthful offenders. The town is the home to a privately-owned and operated, open-campus treatment center for high-risk boys 9 to 22 who have mental health and/or sexual behavior problems. Once an orphanage, having the institution become a private treatment center seemed like a good idea for this quiet town. Now, with the reverse 911 calls warning residents and state police helicopters flying overhead at all hours, the idea of having an armored vehicle in town doesn't seem out of place. It has been written that the local police department spends too much of its time and resources chasing and baby sitting the problem kids, who have a habit of running away, terrorizing townsfolk and/or stealing stuff. This is to say that the town has been invaded by a horde of felonious youth who're not locked up. What did they think would happen - sweetness and kumbaya? One local resident remarked to me that this was becoming a war. Given that the town had to ask the legislature for help, you might get the idea that the town is losing the war.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On a related note, how about "Never saddle your ride until checking to see if it's alive" Going forward, I will check to see that the bike starts before loading up (camera, water, tripod, lunch, etc.) for a day trip. Over 5 years of no problems can make one complacent.
    B10Dave and go2cnavy like this.
  19. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    The shit that I see the snowflakes getting away witharound here is one of the biggest reasons I want out. Let our wonderful governor nurture them along with the rest of his illegals.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The mechanics taught me that saying over 50 years ago when I was an apprentice. We used a lot of cables and hydraulic cylinders with pulley ends on snow removal equipment. Here in Canada the major supplier of the clips was and is the Crosby Company and I have always known them as "Crosby Clips."
    go2cnavy and popscycle like this.