Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Soviet IS-2: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 15th of these - the Soviet IS-2.

[​IMG]

The IS-2 was a WWII Soviet heavy tank that saw action in the later years of WWII, especially in the battle for Berlin. It weighed 45 tons and was powered by a 38.8L, 12-cylinder, 600 hp diesel. The tank had a crew of 4 and could travel 23 mph with a range of 150 miles. The tank had 4.72 in. front armor and a 122 mm canon. Some 3,854 were built between 1944 and 1945 in either the Kirov factory or UZTM works.

This particular IS-2 was built in 1944, was in the battle for Berlin (you can see the battle damage) and is the only one known to be in the U.S.
    KMichael, jeickerman, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Serene Scene: Some days, the weather, road and ride is just about perfect. Some days back we were fortunate to have another of these. Fair skies, temps around 70, gentle breeze, almost no traffic and great scenery made the day.

[​IMG]

This is a favorite place to stop, stretch, hydrate, snack and just enjoy the serenity.

[​IMG]

Some days, just sitting on a bench like this is the epitome of carpe diem.
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 6 others like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    my kinda’ ride right there... very nice...
    B10Dave, popscycle and NxtGoRnd like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mistaken Identity: In the picture above, there's a German V-1 "buzz bomb" hanging from the AHM ceiling. When there, I couldn't get a very good picture of it so I went looking back in the archives and, voila, I had a pic of it when it was in the Collings hanger. The problem is, the buzz bomb is not a German V-1. It is a Republic Aircraft/Ford JB-2, shown below.

[​IMG]

It seems the U.S. copied the V-1 from stolen plans and crashed German V-1s that were brought to the United States from England for analysis. Contracts were awarded to Republic Aircraft and Ford. Ford produced the PJ31 pulse jet engine. Some 1,931 were produced between 1044 and 1945. The JB-2 weighs 660 lbs, has a wingspan of 17' 8", a speed of 425 mph and a range of 150 miles. It was thought the JB-2 would be useful for the invasion of Japan, which didn't happen due to the atomic bomb. The JB-2 above is one of 17 known to exist.
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 3 others like this.
  5. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:

Very cool, had not heard of this model. 122mm! That’s one of the largest ww2 tank guns (other than howitzers ) I’ve heard of...”I see your puny 88 and raise you.....”

Cheers!
    B10Dave and jeickerman like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding: There are some things you see while riding that you just wonder about and the fountain below was just such an object. It looked to be older Victorian and it turns out it was.

[​IMG]

This cast iron fountain was given to the town of West Brookfield (ca. 1673) in 1886 by a George M Rice as a memorial to his parents. Rice was a pioneer in the steel industry , having installed a Bessemer steel plant in Worcester, MA in 1884. He had the fountain cast/built by the J.W. Fiske Ironworks of New York, NY. In 1938, the original figure atop the fountain was lost in a hurricane but replaced in 1985 by one sculpted by J. Irving England. In 2012, it was determined that the statue had become structurally unstable and an AL iron company was retained to restore the fountain and replace the top figure with an exact replica of the original.

[​IMG]

I have always liked fountains both here and abroad, large or small and the one below was no exception.

[​IMG]

In days of yore, I had less interest in photos when viewing some other notable or interesting fountains (e.g., Buckingham, Trevi, St. George, Heinzelmänchenbrunnen, Concorde, etc.). Today, whenever I see a fountain, parts of Respighi's symphonic poem, The Fountains of Rome, plays in my head. I have been known to stop and listen to both the Fountains and Pines on the iPhone when out riding.
    MadRider777, Shaggie, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Me-109: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 16th of these - the Messerschmitt Me-109.

[​IMG]

Germany's Messerschmitt Me-109 may have been WWII's deadliest fighter with over 15,000 allied kills. Some 33,984 were built by Messerschmitt AG and Bayerische Flugzeugwerke between 1939 and 1945. Some parts of the production were done in Nazi concentration camps. Although not the easiest plane to fly (some 1/3 were damaged in takeoff and landing accidents), it was a favorite with pilots. The plane had a Daimler Benz 1850 hp, inverted V-12 engine that could propell the plane to 426 mph with a range of 373 miles, depending.

The above aircraft was produced in 1944 as a model G-14 and captured at the Zeltweg Airfield in Austria at the end of the war. It was previously at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in OR.
    black 8, Shaggie, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: Caught these two Dash-8s moving out of the yard several weeks back and just got the pics converted today.

[​IMG]

I rolled into the yard just as the lead started moving. By the time I got the bike stopped and the camera out of the tank bag, it was moving past the old interlocking tower. Moving slow, I had time to reposition for a shot as it was about to go under the bridge.

[​IMG]

I am not always happy with my RR pics (due to the fact that I have adverse lighting conditions resulting from arriving in the PM) but these seemed to be OK.
    jeickerman, zookster, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; I have some railroad pics for you but on a much smaller scale. "O" scale to be exact. Went for a ride yesterday to a car show near the town of St. Jacobs and after the show I went into town for a burger. I saw the sign that the model railway display was open so went for a look. Here is some of what I saw.

stjacobs 290.jpg

stjacobs 231.jpg

stjacobs 246.jpg

stjacobs 254.jpg

stjacobs 259.jpg

stjacobs 264.jpg

stjacobs 266.jpg

stjacobs 267.jpg

stjacobs 280.jpg
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    And one from the car show. Although I am not normally a "Chevy Guy"; I would take this beauty home in a heartbeat.

stjacobs 177.jpg

stjacobs 178.jpg

stjacobs 179.jpg
  11. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:

She's real fine my 409
    Shaggie and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - British A34: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 16th of these - the British A34 Comet MK1A.

[​IMG]

The A34 was a WWII British cruiser tank that saw action in the later years of WWII. It weighed 32.7 tons and was powered by a Rolls Royce Meteor 27L, 12-cylinder, 600 hp gas engine. The tank had a crew of 5 and could travel 32 mph with a range of 123 miles. The tank had 2.9 in. front armor and a 75 mm canon. Some 1,186 were built between 1944 and 1945 by Leland Motors.

This particular A34 was the 101st production unit built in 1944. It was photographed and filmed crossing the pontoon bridge over the Weser River at Petershagen, reportedly took out 7 German 88s and participated in the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
    jeickerman, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old Barns On Old Roads: For some of us, the smell of farm is nature's perfume. It is the potpourri mixture of the scent of clover, hay, spring flowers and eau d' barnyard that's best smelled in the spring while astride a motorcycle. The best chances to get this perfume wafting in the breeze are around old farmstead barns, such as the one below that aren't overwhelmed by the stench of modern fertilizers (e.g., anhydrous ammonia).

[​IMG]

Some, such as those with cattle and/or horses, are better than others; however, the best are most often found on old gravel roads where the air is oxygenated by trees and not tainted by traffic fumes or the sound of pirate noisemakers. Such was this old stagecoach road in Vermont.

[​IMG]

It had just rained the night before, making the hardpack damp but not too snotty - just the kind of road that puts a smile on your face and the perfume of spring up your nose. Because of that, it took all my willpower to stop the bike this once and take these pictures. Anxious to keep going, I didn't even get off.
    jeickerman, B10Dave, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  14. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    You nailed it.
    popscycle likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It is a happy thing today to have someone think you nailed something. LOL, it's been one of those days when we've managed to nail absolutely nothing else (yet). Perhaps it is time to convert another train pic from last month. Trains are a happy face thing.

[​IMG]

To get really good natural light pictures without resorting to HDR, I'll need to get to the yard in the morning or else fuss with selectively altering various exposure areas in the pic.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Really Nice Place: Below is a really nice spot to stop for a stretch, some hydration, peace and quiet and that tasty sandwich you packed (e.g., lettuce, slice of cheddar cheese, thin slices of pepper beef piled high on a sesame seed bun with horseradish mayo. )

[​IMG]

This lovely place is at coordinates 42.694251, -72.898699.
    Shaggie, jeickerman, zookster and 2 others like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh stop it!!!!! You're making me drool. Tasty sandwich eaten in a nice place. You've got it made John. Some railroad stuff for you from today's ride. ViaRail train in Ingersoll.

t'burg 001.jpg

And a Harsco tamper and KBR ballast regulator lost in the weeds in the small CN yard at the Woodstock station.

t'burg 003.jpg

t'burg 004.jpg
    Shaggie, jeickerman, bluestar and 3 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M18: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 17th of these - the U.S. M18 Hellcat.

[​IMG]

The M18 Hellcat was a WWII American tank destroyer, officially designated as a 'gun motor carriage'. It weighed 18.7 tons and was powered by a Continental 9-cylinder, 400 hp radial engine. The tank had a crew of 5 and could travel 50 mph on road and 18 off with a range of 100 miles. The tank had 0.5 in. front armor and a 76 mm canon. Some 2,507 were built between 1943 and 1944 by Buick division of General Motors.

The main advantage of the Hellcat was its speed. It was the fastest, tracked armored vehicle of the war and could outrun German Panzers and fire several rounds before the Panzer could turn its turret. M18s helped in the Battle of the Bulge by destroying 27 Panzers while losing on 6 of their own. Going head-to-head with a Panzer, the Hellcat was at a disadvantage with less frontal armor.
    Shaggie, KMichael, zookster and 2 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Readhead Takes A Bridgehead: Not really, this is just another 'your bike at a bridge' pic.

[​IMG]

On some days, though, this area is swarming with an army of kayakers getting ready to put in, making it difficult to get through.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Approach To The Bridge: With reference to the previous post have always found this view interesting. There used to be a railroad line where this road is. Once the Hoosac Tunnel and Wilmington Railroad were completed, crewmen were told to leave the town’s mailbags at the Monroe bridge and thus the town of Monroe became known as Monroe Bridge.

[​IMG]

The road was also one of two access paths to what was the Yankee Atomic power station, which was demolished after becoming a political pincushion for psuedo-environmentalists. When you go on down the road past the bridge, there is an area for kayakers, canoers, rafters and tubers to put in. Across the bridge is the small town of Monroe or Monroe Bridge as it's known. The road west out of town takes you to the Hoosac Tunnel, which was where I was headed this day. I take this ride every spring and fall. The bridge above is at coordinates 42.722245, -72.938845.
    Massabusa, Shaggie, zookster and 4 others like this.