Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. dc_ok

dc_ok n00b

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed the reports that you have made as you have travelled your corner of the world. The trains, the military vehicles, the history along with the pictures. I may never get to that part of the country, but I have enjoyed what you have shown.

Dwight
    zookster, popscycle and jeickerman like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dwight. We're happy you are enjoying the thread and posted here to let us know.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Sherman: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 18th of these - the U.S. M4A3E2 Sherman.

[​IMG]

The M4A3 Sherman was a WWII American assault tank, known as a 'jumbo'. It weighed 42 tons and was powered by an 1,100 cu. in., 500 hp Ford V8. The tank had a crew of 5 and could travel 22 mph with a range of 100 miles. The tank had 5.5 in. front armor and a 75 mm M3 cannon. Being one of many M4 variants, the M4A3E2 model above was one of only 254 built in 1944. A number of different companies, including Ford, built M4s. Some 49,.234 M4s were built overall.

A Sherman jumbo called 'Cobra King' was the first tank to reach the besieged 101st Airborne (i.e., the 'Band Of Brothers' division) at Bastogne on Dec. 26m, 1944.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Monroe Bridge Redux: There may be one more interesting aspect to the Monroe Bridge pictures. Below is the remaining pic from last month's spring ride there. Notice the nice block wall to the right of the old mill.

[​IMG]

Back in September of 2016, as shown below, the wooden part of the old Ramage paper mill was still there and about to fall into the now pristine Deerfield River.

[​IMG]

There was a major effort to demolish the wooden strucfture and make the area into some sort of park. Although nicer lookiing, the area doesn't seem yet ready to achieve the status of a park.
    B10Dave, black 8, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:

Another View Of the Me109
    : Below is another view of this notable aircraft, which I had forgotten to convert earlier.

[​IMG]

Planes are high on the list of things this old rider likes to see, along with trains, train stations, bridges, cars, interesting buildings, motorcycles, scenic vistas, museums, good people, good food, forest and gravel roads, waterfalls, sunsets, flowers, animals, etc.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Jagdpanzer 38: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 19th of these - the German Jagdpanzer 38 'Hetzer'.

[​IMG]

The Jagdpanzer 38, known as the 'Hetzer' (i.e. Hetzer roughly translated as 'troublemaker'). was a WWII German lightweight tank destroyer used in the later stages of the war. It weighed 17.4 tons and was powered by a 472 cu. in., 158 hp Praga inline 6. The tank had a crew of 4 and could travel 26 mph with a range of 110 miles. The tank had 2.4 in. front armor and a 75 mm PaK 39 cannon. Some 2,584 were built in occupied Czechoslovakia between 1944 and 1945.

[​IMG]

The Jagdpanzer was rushed into service in 1944. The tank's low profile and sloped armor made it more difficult to hit; however, that left limited room for the crew to operate. Also, the 75 mm gun had limited traverse capability, often making it necessary to move the tank in order to aim.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding: Saw this older fire engine sitting out in a field.

[​IMG]

It is not uncommon to see old pumper engines on a farm at or near water being used to pump water for irrigating crops. This engine was sitting next to the abandoned Hollywood bar in Bernardston, MA.
    KMichael, zookster, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Redhead's New Place: With particular thanks to Kevin and Sue for putting us up and putting up with us, we're probably within a week of being able to move into the new digs. Electrical, plumbing, HVAC and appliances are all in and working, finish work is done and we're just awaiting inspections, which should start today.There's electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire department and tax assessor inspections to pass before occupancy permit is issued.

[​IMG]

There's still some outside painting and landscaping to be done but, with luck, we should be able to start moving in by the middle to latter part of next week or the first of the following week. Then, we are FREE of all the time-consuming, construction issues and details. Woot.
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  9. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    And then it's time for new furniture shopping??!! ; )
    popscycle likes this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I hate furniture shopping. Fortunately, the only furniture we needed to buy for the open area layout was a sofa and some bar/counter chairs. The picture below was taken from where the sofa will be be (with back to kitchen area and front to TV and corner fireplace. We have all the rest, including a dining table and chairs for under the chandelier.

[​IMG]

This is to say our previous four, first floor rooms (living, dining, kitchen & family) have been condensed into one. Much more efficient and easier to clean. When this (iPhone) pic was taken, the contractor's cleaning crew hadn't been there yet so things were a little dusty.
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Good News And Bad: Got some really good news late this afternoon. The bike is fixed! They were able to obtain and install new parts with a two and a half day turnaround. The bad news is that my initial diagnosis was correct (i.e., it was the fuel pump) and I have to pay for it in the morning when I go to pick up the bike. We won't discuss that - it's the repair payment equivalent of passing a kidney stone.

Edit Afterthought: Having the bike in the shop has given more time to get other stuff done. That's worth something - some amount I should subtract from the bill to lessen the perceived pain.
    zookster, B10Dave, panzer and 2 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M3 Halftrack? At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 20th of these - an American halftrack.

[​IMG]

I have no museum-validated information on this one but it has all the appearances of an M3 halftrack.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Picked up the bike this morning shortly after 9 AM, rode it back and into the new garage to re-adjust the handle bars before making a supplies run in the cage.

[​IMG]

I can't technically keep it in there until there's an occupancy permit from the town but it's a nice open space to wrench. Later this afternoon, I got out for a nice 80 mile jaunt and noticed something interesting. When I started riding this year, I was getting a little over 50 mpg and just could not do any better where last year mileage was a consistent 55 mpg. Today, after the new fuel pump was installed, I got 56 mpg. Hmmm?
    black 8, Shaggie, zookster and 3 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Bike By An Old Structure: This unusual old wood and stone church dates back to 1780.

[​IMG]

The church is located at coordinates 42.694919, -72.899004.
    black 8, KMichael, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  15. panzer

Oddometer:
    That would make a nice new hovel for the panzer : )
    popscycle likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - Churchill Mk VII Crocodile: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 21st of these - a British Churchill Mk VII Crocodile.

[​IMG]

The Churchill Mk VII was a British heavy tank that served in WWII and later Korea. The 'Crocodile' was a flame-throwing variant. The Mk VII weighed 44.9 tons and was powered by a 350 hp, 12 cylinder Bedford engine. The tank had a crew of 5 and could travel 15 mph with a range of 56 miles. The tank had 6 in. front armor and a 75 mm cannon. Some 5,640 were built in in Britain between 1943 and 1945. Of these were some 550 Crocodiles.

The flamethrower equipment was produced as an add-on kit for any Mk VII. The kit consisted of an armored fuel trailer, an armored pipe fitted on the underside of the tank and and the projector that replaced the hull-mounted machine gun. The flame thrower had a range of about 120 yards at a rate of 4 gallons per second. It is reported that the Crocodiles were greatly feared by German troops, especially those in bunkers.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just A Favorite Road: Just a pic of a favorite road - one where there's a a good view of what might be lurking to jump out into you or your bit of the road. And, yes, there are a good bit of twisties around the bend.

[​IMG]

Being another road that I ride once in the spring, once in the summer and once in the fall, I sometimes wick it up pretty good along here. This time, though, I stopped to get the pic and just enjoy the view.
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 5 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Fun Of Going Straight: OK, we all know roads with sweepers and twisties are rider favorites, whether one's preference is paved or not. Getting less attention are straight roads where you can make some time with slightly less concern about slippery stuff, obstacles or critters hiding just around the bend. When the straight road isn't paved, the ride can be all the better.

[​IMG]

This particular bit of dirt, sand and gravel doesn't get me anywhere I want to go but I often zip down and back on the way home from somewhere else just for the fun of it. Often well rutted, you can make better time going down the center provided you don't mind the batches of loose gravel and small rocks. If you want to get your butt off the saddle (which I often want to do after some miles on the slab), then the ruts are the way to go.

[​IMG]

It's not technical, just fun and peaceful.
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 6 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Celebratory Food Run: We don't eat out that often and when we do, it's usually nothing fancy. Once in a while, though, we air out the wallet a little and partake of something more upscale than DQ. Such was the case last week when we ventured out to a 1700s-era place called Salem Cross Inn. It's a restored 18th century farmstead that's been preserved and added to over the centuries, making it a candidate for a few trip report pictures.

[​IMG]

The place is noted for its "Drover's Roasts", which are traditional 1700s trailside feasts of chowder, sides of prime rib roasted over a huge fire pit, fritters, vegetables and other fare. We didn't do that. The inn is also noted for its events and had just finished a wedding held out in the (600 acre) field next to the inn. When we got there, the wedding party had moved into the tavern, which is in the darker, barn-like building above. We didn't go in there.

[​IMG]

Inside, the main dining area looks like how you'd think a 1700s inn should be.

[​IMG]

We got there early so there weren't many folks there, other than the crowd in the tavern. I order the "cast iron seared black angus Delmonico with bacon, brown suger, pink peppercorn compound butter and carmelized onions", shown below. It came with a bit of that upscale, foo-foo, not fufu, look.

[​IMG]

The steak was good but not great, not that I'd know one Delmonico from another. I was expecting some kind of rich sauce but there was none and I never did find the bacon. As for steak, just give me a good piece of meat au poivre with onion rings and a cold beer. It's been over a year since I last had one of those, but I know where to go.
    black 8, KMichael, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  20. panzer

Oddometer:
    Nice place!
    popscycle likes this.