Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M1A1 Abrams: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 37th of these, an American M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank.

[​IMG]

The M1A1 is currently America's main battle tank. It weighs 67.6 tons and is powered by a 1,500 hp Honeywell AGT100C multi-fuel gas turbine. The M1A1 has a crew of 4, can travel 45 mph on road or 23 off with a range of 288 miles. It has Chobham composite armor equivalent to 23" to 51" thick with a 120 mm. gun. Some 10,28 have been built from 1980 to present. The M1A1 saw action in the Gulf War and the war in Iraq.

[​IMG]

Designed for more open warfare, the M1A1 easily destroyed Iraq's tank force during the Gulf War. It also easily ran over enemy defenses during the Iraq War; however, it was more vulnerable in urban combat until the Tank Urban Survival Kit (i.e., TUSK) was added to give protection to the sides and rear of the tank.
  2. MadRider777

MadRider777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shaggie, MATTY, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - ZPU 4: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 38th of these, an American ZPU-4 Anti-Aircraft Gun.

[​IMG]

The ZPU-4 is a Russian-designed, 4-barrel anti-aircraft gun that was primarily built in China, Poland and/or Romania from 1949 to present. It weighs 2 tons and is towed by some other vehicle. The ZPU-4 has a crew of 5 and can be deadly to low, slow flying aircraft (e.g., helicopters). It was used extensively in the Korean and Vietnam wars and has been in the inventory of some 50 countries and fielded in 29 different wars.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We're posting this morning from the new digs. All of the inspections were completed Tuesday and we moved in yesterday. Better (8 months) late than never and we've now time to recover from 12 months of fuss, hassle, odd trip to the ER (moron plumbers exploding a pipe cap) and a litany of problems, delays and excuses. This recovery from all this mayhem will, no doubt, require an increase in two-wheel therapy, of the type shown below in an earlier escape last month.

[​IMG]

Is this a great gravel road or what?
    KMichael, B10Dave, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  5. panzer

panzer The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    sounds like everybody should have one
    jeickerman and popscycle like this.
  6. dc_ok

dc_ok n00b

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on getting in to your new place. Some of your woes makes one appreciate a good builder that stays a step ahead. Enjoying the pics and travel.

Dwight
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Dwight! We're happy to be in and to hear you are enjoying the thread. Regarding builders and tradesmen, I am now thinking the good ones might just be in short supply.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - PT 76: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 39th of these, a Soviet PT-76 Light Tank.

[​IMG]

The PT-76 was Soviet amphibious light tank that first appeared in the 1950s. It weighs 16.1 tons and is powered by a 240 hp, 6-cylinder diesel. The PT-76 has a crew of 3, can travel 27 mph on road or 6 in the water with a land range of 249 miles. It is propelled in the water by two hydro-jets. The tank carries 1 in. thick frontal armor with a 76.2 mm gun. Some 12,000 have been built from 1951 to 1969 by VTZ, Kirov Factory.

Widely exported to the Soviet Union's allies, the PT-76 was used in the Vietnam War. While having a solid gun, the tank's light armor made it highly vulnerable.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M48: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 40h of these, an American M48A3 Patton Medium Tank.

[​IMG]

The M48 was a medium tank originally designed to fight large tank battles against the Soviets. It weighs 49 tons and is powered by a 750 hp, V-12 Continental AVDS1790 engine. The M48 has a crew of 4, can travel 30 mph with a range of 287 miles. The tank wears 4.3 in. thick frontal armor with a 110 mm gun. Some 12,000 (all variants) were built from 1952 to 1959 by a number of companies (i.e., Ford, Fisher Body, ALCO and Chrysler).

The M48 saw extensive use by the U.S. in Vietnam, where it excelled at bunker busting, breaking up enemy attacks and mine sweeping. It has fought in 15 wars.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I just remembered that I had encountered this M48 out in the wild over a year ago before the AHM was open. Shown below, I should have gotten a better pose with the redhead.

[​IMG]

Too often, the bike is an afterthought (or missing) in pictures of things I want to look at in some detail.
  11. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woot!! Huge congratulations!! :clap:clap

Great news at last!

Shane
    popscycle likes this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good news on the move in John. So to celebrate here is a close up and personal rail video for you. Taken today at the Nostalgia Night car show in St Thomas Ont. They close several streets downtown and get 400 to 500 cars out for the show. The local tourist train was giving free rides on the hour from downtown to the southern edge of town and back.

13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M41: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 41h of these, an American M41 Walker Bulldog Light Tank.

[​IMG]

The M41 was a light, fast and highly mobile tank originally designed for recon missions. It weighs 25.8 tons and is powered by a 500 hp, 6-cylinder Continental AOS-895-3 engine. The M41 has a crew of 4, can travel 45 mph with a range of 100 miles. The tank wears 1 in. thick frontal armor with a 75 mm gun. Some 5,467 were built from 1951 to 1954 by Cadillac.

[​IMG]

American crews never really like the Bulldog due to technical difficulties and having a cramped interior. The M41 was also used by Argentina, Brazil, New Zealand, South Africa, Uruguay and West Germany.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Resting And Posing Places: Some scenes taken while stretching the old legs and/or squirting the dirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 3 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding: The cafe cook brought this to the table before it was cut for my manly turkey club sandwich.

[​IMG]

(iPhone photo)
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M4A3E8: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 42nd of these, an American M4A3E8 (Easy Eight) Sherman Medium Tank.

[​IMG]

The M4A3E8 variant of the M4 Sherman was a medium tank used by the U.S. during WWiI and the Korean War. It weighs 33 tons and is powered by a 450 hp, Ford GAA V-8 engine. The M4A3E8 has a crew of 5, can travel 26 mph with a range of 100 miles. The tank wears 2.5 in. thick frontal armor with a 76 mm gun. Some 2,670 of this variant were built from 1944 to 1945.

This M4 variant had "wet stowage", which consisted of ammunition racks/bins surrounded by water to help limit ammunition fires in the event an enemy round penetrated the tank. Another characteristic of this variant was the installation of wider tracks and improved suspension (i.e., HVSS or Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension). The tank entered service in 1944 and was retired as obsolete in 1956.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Beer Farm Adventure, Part 2 - The Beer Farm Grounds: This is expected to be a three part set of pics. This first one was of the beer barn, shown below,. This second post will be pics of the rest of the farm grounds (that we had access to). The third and final will be a tasting visit sometime in the future when there aren't the thirsty throngs mobbing the place. As for the beer barn below, you could say it is the American barn version of a classic beer hall with food and drink for the throngs.

[​IMG]

Going on through, you find a patio out back, shown below.

[​IMG]

Having taken these pics before the place opened, the only persons around were part of a disjointed yoga class, some of whom were outside in the field.

[​IMG]

When we rode by yesterday, the patio and field was crowded. Just off the patio to the right is the start of a children's playground.

[​IMG]

Standing in the playground, you can see the smokehouse on the left, the store in the middle and the edge of the barn on the right.

[​IMG]

Below is a closeup of the smokehouse area.

[​IMG]

Moving back up to the front of the barn, you get an idea of the size of the parking area.

[​IMG]

When we have ridden by on weekend afternoons, that lot is full and there are lines to the beer and food. Also noticeable is the fact that there seems to be continuous improvement activity, which is one of the hallmarks of a successful enterprise.

Part 3, if we can get loose, will be a tasting run.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  18. panzer

Oddometer:
    Of course the place is full, you can bring the snowflakes along and let them go wild while you sip bier with all the hipsters, kind of a craft brewed Chucky cheese.
    B10Dave, popscycle and jeickerman like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    LOL. I am wondering if the cruiserface crowd will desert their biker bars for this sort of thing. The farm certainly smells better and if they'd move some livestock in closer, it would smell even better. And, yup, so far the scene seems to be Hipsters auf dem Bierbauernhof. Prost!
  20. panzer

Oddometer:
    At least the man buns probably don’t know freebird. Unless it offends them!
    popscycle likes this.