Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. O-Zone

O-Zone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread....just stumbled on to it,, I made the change many years and bikes ago, never looked back...................but I still look longingly at some other bikes as well......I find it hard to ride a bike without a 19 or 21 inch front wheel now.......The issue now is being able to still throw my leg over a tall bike.......maybe its time for a Harley...........Cheers Mike
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're pleased you are enjoying the thread, Mike. I have been facing the same issue, which is why I opted for the factory-lowered GS. I expect there may come a time when that is too much to throw a leg over that (i.e., probably when I'm in my 80s if all goes well) and I'll opt for a smaller lighter bike or scoot. I will never go back to heavy bikes as they handle like crap, the laws of physics being what they are.
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M24: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 43rd of these, an American M24 Chaffee Light Tank.

[​IMG]

The M24 was a light tank used by the U.S. during WWiI, the Korean War and Vietnam. It weighs 20 tons and is powered by twin 220 hp, Cadillac flathead V-8 engines. The M24 has a crew of 5, can travel 30 mph with a range of 100 miles. The tank wears 1.5 in. thick frontal armor with a 75 mm M6 gun. Some 4,731 of these were built from 1944 to 1945.

This M24 originally saw combat in the Battle of the Bulge. Crews liked its nimble off-road performance but the tank would be overwhelmed by heavier, more power tanks such as the Soviet T-34/85 in Korea.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sunday At The Yard: Took a nice ride Sunday last but didn't take many pics. The exception was at the Pan Am yard where I did see some movement. After pulling up, I saw this power taking a nap out in the yard.

[​IMG]

I had no sooner gotten off and taken the above pic when some NS power came up from the back of the yard.

[​IMG]

Thinking it might do some yard work, I waited for a bit. When they stopped and the engineer climbed down, there was no motive to hang around so I flexed some lens muscle to get this close-up and then left.

[​IMG]

It's a rare thing (for me, anyway) to happen by the yard and see something moving, so this was a railfan treat, however small.
    B10Dave, zookster, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M39: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 44th of these, an American M239 Armored Utility Vehicle.

[​IMG]

The M39 was an American armored vehicle designed during the Second World War, which saw service in both that conflict and the Korean War. It weighs 16 tons and is powered by twin 400 hp, 9-cylinder Continental R975-C4 radial engine. The M39 has a crew of 3 plus 8 passengers (or cargo), can travel 50 mph on roads with a range of 100 miles. The vehicle has 0.5 in. thick frontal armor with a .50 cal. machine gun. Some 640 of these were built by Buick from 1944 to 1945.

Very few M39s saw action in WWII but became a workhorse in the Korean War. After WWII, the M39 was refitted for the Korean war to transport and supply troops, carry ammunition and serve as a medevac ambulance.
    B10Dave, KMichael, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Short Ride To The Ski Mtn: Below are several pics taken during a short ride up to the area ski mountain (i.e., Wachusett Mtn.)

[​IMG]

Below is looking across the pond towards the bunny slopes on the lower part of the mtn.

[​IMG]

It makes for a nice short ride, especially in the late afternoon or early evening. Also, there's some good gravel on the backside of the mountain.
    B10Dave, zookster, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    New Critter Incident: Well, over the years I've had lots of different critters run out in the road in front of me (i.e., rabbits, deer, coyotes, geese, turkeys, fox, skunk, possum, squirrels, etc) and only hit one (i.e. a kamikaze goose). Today, however, we encountered a new species - baby goats. I had three baby goats come running out into the road. Fortunately, I saw them coming and got stopped in time. As soon as I stopped they ran back the way they came so there was no opportunity to take a pic. They were cute little things.
  8. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts Supporter

Oddometer:
    I nailed a skunk once, both tires, 10:00 at night, it was really as bad as you think it could be, i pulled onto the back yard , stripped down to my undies and went to washing the bike, lucky i had some "Bike Brite" , kinda like S100 and gave it a good soaking and scrubbing,

peeled off my undies at the back porch and made a beee-line to the shower.

wife was not amused at my new cologne
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I remember my elders saying that tomato juice was the magic elixir for removing eau de skunk. As I recall, it wasn't. More modern remedies seem to call for hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda and dish soap. God willing and the skunks don't run out in front of my tires, I won't have to find out how well it works. I do have all three of these ingredients on the shelf, though. We've a ton of skunks.
    Shaggie likes this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - M26: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 44rd of these, an American M26A1 Pershing Tank.

[​IMG]

The M26A1 was a medium tank used by the U.S. during the last days of WWiI and later in Korea. It weighs 46 tons and is powered by a 500 hp, Ford GAF V-8 engine. The M26 has a crew of 5, can travel 30 mph with a range of 100 miles. The tank wears 4 in. thick frontal armor with a 190 mm MsA1 gun. Some 2,212 of these were built from 1944 to 1945.

This M24 mostly saw combat in Korea, where it came up as the better against the Soviet T-34/85. It was, however, less effective in hilly, muddy terrain. The Pershing continued to play an important role in NATO's defense of Europe during the Cold War.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Summer's Here, Farmer's Market Open: A sure sign of summer is the weekly farmer's market in Grafton Common. We took a quick ride there yesterday afternoon to check out the vendors and perhaps buy some food.

[​IMG]

Truth be told, it is more a misc. vendor's market as there were only two farm vendors there. Folks were selling all kinds of stuff, including trinkets and $6 bags of popcorn. We got some veggies, listened to a guitarist for a bit and then split. When the sweet corn comes in, we'll go back. Last year the corn was some of the best I've ever eaten.

[​IMG]

Apologies for the crappy iPhone pictures. I had forgotten that having your iPhone sitting in a RAM mount while spending the morning running down gravel roads could put dust on lens.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    By The Water: I was heading north and stopped at a safe, off-the-road spot to hydrate with some cold water. Not having yet found my HydraPak, which is in one of the many boxes yet unpacked, I carry refilled plastic water bottles (e.g., Poland Springs or whatever) that were put in the freezer the night before. Thus, taking a drink requires a stop, which never hurts the old parts needing a stretch or rest.

[​IMG]

Since I did stop at one of the restricted roads iinto a watershed area, it seemed like a good time to take a picture thereof. Just beyond this shrubbery is a large, protected reservoir. No houses or boats allowed.

[​IMG]

You can fish from the shore, though, if you've a current fishing license. Years ago, I fished several areas without much luck. The only action I got was small stuff on a fly rod with tiny poppers.
    B10Dave, KMichael, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Tank A Day Adventure - LVT(A)-4: At the onset of Memorial Day weekend, I rode to the Collings Foundation's, newly-opened American Heritage Museum and spent some time photographing and obtaining information on each exhibit. Below is the 45th and last of these, an American LVT(A)-4 Amphibious Landing Craft.

[​IMG]

The LVT(A)-4 was an amphibious warfare vehicle and landing craft, introduced by the United States Navy. LVT stands for Landing Vehicle Tracked. It weighs 20 tons and is powered by a 250 hp, 7-cylinder Continental W70 radial Ford engine. The LVT(A)-4 has a crew of 2 to 3, can travel 20 mph on land or 7.5 in water with a land range of 150 miles. The tank has 0.25 to 0.50 in. armor with a 75 mm howitzer. Some 1,890 of these (18,606 of all variants were built from 1944 to 1945 by a number of companies (i.e., Food Machinery Company, Borg-Warner, Graham-Paige, Roebling, St. Louis Car Company).

While Higgins Boats were used for landings in the European and Pacific Theaters, coral reefs around Pacific islands made it difficult to use them as landing vehicles. As a result, the military turned to LVTs like the model above. LVTs were used at Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Bouganville, Marshall Islands, Saipan, Peleliu, Leyte, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and more.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Parting Shot: Below is the last of the American History Museum pics, taken as I was leaving.

[​IMG]

I am not in the picture.
  15. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great coverage of the museum.

- John
    zookster and popscycle like this.
  16. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:
    Well darn :(

I wanted that series to go on forever :dirtdog

I thought I was pretty up on military stuff but they’re were several new ones on me!

Thanks so much for the coverage, John, much appreciated.

:thumb

Shane
    popscycle likes this.
  17. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess now I need to make the five hour drive to go to this museum. Thanks for sharing all this time.
    popscycle likes this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:

Y'all are most welcome. Thanks for letting us know you were enjoying it.
    Shaggie likes this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    5 hours is a long drive for just a museum; however, it's not so bad on a bike in good weather. I've been known to drive and/or ride over 1,000 just to see a particular place. We are happy to learn you enjoyed this one.
    B10Dave likes this.
  20. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'd make a weekend out of it. Do the museum, and then head over to Boston also.
    popscycle likes this.