Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you ever had a pissed off goose chase your motorcycle? It happened to Kevin and I once. You know their pissed when they run at you head down. With that in mind, I am reminded of this video:

KMichael and Shaggie like this.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; here is a train fix for you. Yesterday I went east of Ingersoll Ontario to a little road bridge over the CN mainline. First train was a CN freight eastbound. In the background is the Carmeuse lime quarry lime plant. They ship lime mostly to the Steel mills in Hamilton and Nanticoke.
    jul2219 008.jpg

Next pic is the tail end of that train and the oncoming westbound ViaRail.

jul2219 012.jpg

Next three are my favourite twins from Ontario Southland. Caught them returning from Woodstock to Ingersoll where they left their consist and returned light to Salford shop where they parked behind the shop for the night. The third F model can be seen hiding behind the red pair.

jul2219 018.jpg

jul2219 029.jpg

jul2219 039.jpg
    GAS GUY, jeickerman, zookster and 4 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave, you've some great shots and you're scoring much better than I. On my last two times out, nothing was moving and all I got pics of were these two parked units.

[​IMG]
    jeickerman, B10Dave, zookster and 3 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rural Scenes: Below are some shots taken while riding through more rural areas in the western part of the state. The farmstead below had an interesting assemblage of bank barns, sitting right on the road, which is common in hilly areas.

[​IMG]

Below is an interesting abandoned cape with numerous additions over the years. It was the roofing patch patterns that got me to stop and take a look .

[​IMG]

Bucolic is the word best describing the colonial below. Extension on the back of the house suggest the main house is older than it looks.

[​IMG]
    jeickerman, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Latent Photograph: Whenever I have a smidgen of totally free time, I try to find and convert (from RAW) pictures not previously used or shown. Below is one of these - an unusual garden walkway.

[​IMG]

What's unusual is that there is a rivulet of water running down the trough in the middle of the walkway, burbling as it runs down and falling into a pool at the bottom. It is an aesthetically pleasing walkway. FYI, the walkway is at coordinates 42.289371 -73.316333.
    Shaggie, GAS GUY, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Big Ride Today, Saw Stuff: Perhaps not an epic day trip; however, an all day, 200 mile ride is a big one for these old bones. Saw some good stuff and chased a river.

[​IMG]

More to follow. Time to eat brisket.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm........brisket. Home smoked/bbq'd or from someplace else?
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Home cooked for 9 hours in a low heat crock pot in a pool of coca-cola marinate with a bit of BBQ sauce on top surrounded by some baby carrots. Crock pot takes little effort and no watching, making it a good riding day approach. Very tasty and satisfying at the end of your ride!
    Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing A River: It was a great day - great weather (high 70s to low 80s) with a 200 plus mile ride that took all day checking off a major item on my to-do list. That item was riding to the headwaters of the Ashuelot River in NH.

[​IMG]

The Ashuelot River is somewhere around 65 miles long and drains the mountainous Monadnock region of New Hampshire. I picked up the river outside of Keene, NH.

[​IMG]

There were, of course, geese. They're everywhere.

[​IMG]

The purpose of this ride, aside from having a fun day riding, was to see and photograph all 6 of the covered bridges over the Ashuelot.

[​IMG]

Mission was accomplished with pictures of each to follow.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    What A Difference Several Years Makes: Back in 2015, I took this picture of the older portions of what the town historian said was part of the Converse toy factory complex.

[​IMG]

Once, Converse had been the largest and premier toy maker in this country. The company even had country club for children where they and their parents where they could come, stay and enjoy the toys. Joseph Kennedy brought his children to the Converse Club when they were young. That was then and this is how that the above factory building looked yesterday.

[​IMG]

The metal structure to the side was once part the walkway that connected this building to the one across the road. I assume it collapsed into the road when the building collapsed. I thought it made an interesting picture.

[​IMG]

How many children's Christmas mornings were affected by toys or toy parts that went across this walkway?

Edit Note: I just read that the walkway was still in place as of Nov. last and that the town wants to raze the structure but can't contact the owners (supposedly living in Puerto Rico) and has no money to do it anyway. Neighbors are complaining about the hazards to children and all the rats living in the rubble. I found the picture below from a Nov. 2018 newspaper article.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, KMichael, zookster and 4 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing The Ashuelot For Covered Bridges - #1 of 6: On July 25, we set out on a day long ride up into New Hampshire to follow the Ashuelot River and photograph all six of the covered bridges on this river. This is the first of these bridges - the Carlton Covered Bridge.

[​IMG]

Town records show the covered bridge at this location was first built in 1789 for a cost of 15 pounds, reconstructed in 1869 and then rehabilitated in 1998.

[​IMG]

Supposedly, the bridge dimensions were designed using the height, width and weight of a wagon fully loaded with hay as the standard. It has an overall length of 67'3" with a clear span of 60'3". It has an overall width of 16'6" with a roadway width of 12'4" and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'7". It has fully sheathed sides and is posted for three tons.

[​IMG]

The bridge was built using the type of truss construction used to build barns, known as a queenspost truss.

[​IMG]

This covered bridge spans the South Branch Ashuelot River on Carlton Road in Swanzey, NH. It is located at coordinates 42.85444, -72.27417.
    Shaggie, TT72, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing The Ashuelot For Covered Bridges - #2 of 6: On July 25, we set out on a day long ride up into New Hampshire to follow the Ashuelot River and photograph all six of the covered bridges on this river. This is the second of these bridges - the Cresson Covered Bridge (A.K.A. Sawyers Crossing Bridge).

[​IMG]

Town records show that the a bridge was built at this site in 1771. This covered bridge was built in 1859, rehabilitated in 1996 and maintained since.

[​IMG]

The bridge has two spans for a total length of 159 ft and a deck width of 16.4 ft.

[​IMG]

The bridge was built using a type of truss construction known as a covered lattice through truss or Town truss after designer Ithiel Town. The Town truss was a design that allowed a substantial bridge to be made from planks employing lower–skilled labor, rather than heavy timbers and more expensive carpenters.

[​IMG]

This covered bridge spans the South Branch Ashuelot River on Sawyers Crossing Road in Swanzey, NH. It is located at coordinates 42.88611, -72.28639. The Cresson Covered Bridge's claim to fame was that it was once pictured on a Christmas edition carton of Chesterfield Cigarettes with famous radio and TV star Arthur Godfrey, who came to the bridge for a photo shoot. The governor of NH, Hugh Gregg, presented Godfrey with an honorary deed to the bridge.
    Shaggie, TT72, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the history lesson John. Waiting for the rest.
    jeickerman and popscycle like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing The Ashuelot For Covered Bridges - #3 of 6: On July 25, we set out on a day long ride up into New Hampshire to follow the Ashuelot River and photograph all six of the covered bridges on this river. This is the third of these bridges - the Thompson Covered Bridge (A.K.A. West Swanzey Covered Bridge).

[​IMG]

Records show that the a bridge was built in 1832 by Zadoc Taft, rehabilitated in 1993 and maintained since. The bridge originally had two sidewalks but now only has one. IMHO, they should rebuild the other for symmetry.

[​IMG]

The bridge has two spans for a total length of 151.9 ft and a deck width of 12.5 ft.

[​IMG]

Like the previous post, this bridge was built using a type of truss construction known as a covered lattice through truss or Town truss after designer Ithiel Town. The Town truss was a design that allowed a substantial bridge to be made from smaller planks employing lower–skilled labor, rather than heavy timbers that required more expensive carpenters.

[​IMG]

The Thompson covered bridge spans the South Branch Ashuelot River on Main Street in Swanzey, NH. It is located at coordinates 42.87167, -72.32778.

[​IMG]

In 1973 the bridge was posted for a six-ton limit, which required children exit the school bus and walk across so the bus could make the weight limit and cross empty. The bridge was closed to all traffic in 1990 but was rehabilitated and reopened in 1993. Other than that, I could not find anything else of interest that happened at this bridge.
    MadRider777, B10Dave, Shaggie and 6 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I Couldn't Find Any Spirits: I stopped, got off the bike and walked about a little but didn't find any spirits to communicate with. They say 'spirit walks', which supposedly go back to prehistoric times, give you the ability to enter some strange state between sleep and consciousness where you can communicate with helpful spirits. Such a state would not seem helpful to riding.

[​IMG]

As for the old factory building behind me, it's spirit material. I give it about another year to live. I was tempted to Photoshop some apparition in one of the windows but decided I had better things to do. Maybe later.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, zookster and 4 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing The Ashuelot For Covered Bridges - #4 of 6: On July 25, we set out on a day long ride up into New Hampshire to follow the Ashuelot River and photograph all six of the covered bridges on this river. This is the fourth of these bridges - the Slate Covered Bridge.

[​IMG]

Records show that the first bridge built in 1862 was destroyed by fire (arson) in 1993 and rebuilt in 2001.

[​IMG]

The bridge has a single span who length is 122 ft and a deck width of 13.8 ft.

[​IMG]

Like others, this bridge was built using a type of truss construction known as a covered lattice through truss , which is a design that allowed a substantial bridge to be made from smaller planks employing lower–skilled labor, rather than heavy timbers that required more expensive carpenters.

[​IMG]

The Slate covered bridge spans the Ashuelot River on Westport Village Road in Swanzey, NH. It is located at coordinates 42.84722, -72.34028.

The bridge name originates from the Slate family who lived on a farm along the river north of the bridge. In 1842 William Wheelock was halfway across the earlier bridge with a span of four oxen when the bridge collapsed dropping both driver and animals into the river. Although no one was hurt, Wheelock engaged an attorney from Keene to seek damages from the town. The current bridge was damaged by a snow plow in 1987 and was repaired at a cost of $2,000.
    B10Dave, KMichael, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix du Jour: The yellow noses were lazing around in the yard.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, KMichael, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing The Ashuelot For Covered Bridges - #5 of 6: On July 25, we set out on a day long ride up into New Hampshire to follow the Ashuelot River and photograph all six of the covered bridges on this river. This is the fifth of these bridges - the Coombs Covered Bridge.

[​IMG]

Records show this covered bridge was built in 1837 and has been rehabilitated several times since.

[​IMG]

The bridge has a length of 106'6" with a clear span of 101'9". It has an overall width of 17'8" with a roadway width of 14'3", and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'0". The abutments are unmortared stone. The bridge is posted for six tons.

[​IMG]

Like others, this bridge was built using a type of truss construction known as a covered lattice through truss , or Town truss after Ithiel Town, which is a design that allowed a substantial bridge to be made from smaller planks employing lower–skilled labor, rather than heavy timbers that required more expensive carpenters.

[​IMG]

The Slate covered bridge spans the Ashuelot River on Coombs Bridge Road in Winchester NH. It is located at coordinates 42.83778, -72.36111.

The bridge was named after its original builder and owner, Anthony Coombs and it played an important role in the commercial and social development of the surrounding area. Although no longer a major river crossing point, the bridge does serve student and tourist access to Rt. 10.
    B10Dave, zookster, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  19. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

Recipe by DM please John.... :-)
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sent. Some of these times, I am going to take a photo of said brisket, which is falling-apart-juicy-tasty.
    B10Dave and Shaggie like this.