Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pan Am Still Running GPs: Having caught this one several days ago and more recently seen in CT, I'd say Pan Am hasn't yet traded in/sold all their GPs for refurbished Dash 8s.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 2 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing The Ashuelot For Covered Bridges - #6 of 6: On July 25, we set out on a day long ride up into New Hampshire to follow the Ashuelot River and photograph all six of the covered bridges on this river. This is the sixth and last of these bridges - the Ashuelot Covered Bridge.

[​IMG]

Records show the Ashuelot covered bridge was built in 1864 for a total cost of $4,650 and rehabilitated in 1999.

[​IMG]

With two spans, the bridge has a total length of 173.6 ft., an overall width of 28.5 ft. and a deck width of 11.8 ft. The abutments are stone reinforced with concrete. The bridge is posted for three tons.

[​IMG]

Like others, this bridge was built using a type of truss construction known as a covered lattice through truss , or Town truss after Ithiel Town. This is a design that allowed a substantial bridge to be made from smaller planks employing lower–skilled labor, rather than heavy timbers that required more expensive carpenters.

[​IMG]

As you can see, there are sidewalks on both sides of the bridge that give you a good view of the river if you choose (I didn't.).

[​IMG]

The Ashuelot covered bridge spans the Ashuelot River on Gunn Mountain Road in Winchester NH. It is located at coordinates 42.77694, -72.42333.

The Ashuelot bridge was once the principal means of access between the village proper and the railroad station on the south side of the river near the south bridge abutment.

[​IMG]
    Once busy, the railroad line is now a rail trail. The station is still there but has been remodeled to look like a box.
    KMichael, B10Dave, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ruination Ruminations: The ruins of some old factories.

[​IMG]

The civil gangrene of a once wealthy and thriving city.

[​IMG]

My limited research on these old structures found the area has a serious rat and pestilence problem that is spreading.

[​IMG]

These places are fodder for "Your Best Old Structure" thread; however, I'll just post them here with no further comment other than "Beware". It seems mold and asbestos abounds, making any UrbEx adventures a bad call.
    KMichael, B10Dave, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata: Some miscellaneous pictures taken lately. The first below is the really old house (I am guessing ca. 1700s) sitting by the northwest abutment of Ashuelot Covered Bridge. It looks to have been added onto numerous times.

[​IMG]

The redhead was posing close by.

[​IMG]

After heading south out of NH, we stopped by the yard and saw nothing moving. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful day and getting a RR shot is always better than no RR pic.

[​IMG]
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Beer Farm Update: I rode by the Stone Cow Farm in the morning several days ago before they were open. Saw the hops vines are up and the trebuchet (not shown) was out. A lot of work was going on around the place.

[​IMG]

We've been following the transformation of the old family farmhouse as it is being turned into a pavilion. On this day, there was a timber framing company doing more work on the structure.

[​IMG]

I've no affiliation with or interest in Stone Cow but am interested in how a family farm out in the middle of nowhere is transformed into a family beer farm and eatery. On weekends, crowds are so large their field is fillled with cars and police are helping with the traffic jams.
    KMichael, B10Dave, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Into Town - No. 1: I have always found the impression formed when first riding into town interesting. This year, I started taking pictures of those initial visuals and will be (very) briefly sharing the thoughts that formed. The first of these is Hinsdale, NH, where my first impression was that a town built on commerce intersected with a farming community. It didn't have the building characteristic of a mill town.

[​IMG]

Brief research suggests the town grew out of Fort Hinsdale, established in 1742 by Colonel Ebenezer Hinsdale. Initially a trading post and grist mill, the fort endured Indian raids. Located along the Ashuelot River, there was good farm land, which contributed to the townls initial growth. Hinsdale supposedly has the oldest continually-operating post office in the United States. This pic was taken at about coordinates 42.788118, -72.476219.
    KMichael, B10Dave, lhoff601 and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Into Town - No. 2: I have always found the impressions formed when first riding into town interesting. This year, I started taking pictures of those initial visuals and will be (very) briefly sharing the thoughts that formed. The 2nd of these is Warren, MA, where my first impression was that of a mill town. The mill row housing was a giveaway.

[​IMG]

Warren, MA, was first settled in 1664 and given the name 'Western' but changed it later in honor of General Joseph Warren, who died at the Battle of Bunker Hill during the Revolutionary War. Like many New England towns along a river (i.e., Quabaog River), grist and saw mills sprang up followed by woolen mills. There are still vacant mills in the village of West Warren, where the above pic was taken. Warren's claim to manufacturing is Warren Pumps, whose products can be found just about anywhere fluids have to be moved from one place to another, including the Navy's fleet ships and boats. Warren's history of pump manufacturing goes back to the 1790s. The above picture was taken at about coordinates 42.212100, -72.239546.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, zookster and 2 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Pumps: With respect to the town of Warren, MA, and its pump manufacturing going back to the 1790s, here's a picture taken in April, 2016 at the previously-mentioned pump plant.

[​IMG]

The thought of pumps reminded me of the latest saga with the incompetent plumbers that caused so much pain and angst with our carriage house (i.e., exploding a gas pipe via improper leak test that put me into the ER, failure to properly connect water pipes causing three leaks, one of which ruined the new kitchen ceiling, a major gas leak in the fireplace, etc.). The piece de resistance , however, was the near-immediate failure of the sewage pump they installed. Simply put, the shit pump shit the bed (and part of the basement floor). On top of that, the jackwagons forgot to install the failure alarm. The failure was probably caused by the 6-in. piece of wood (possibly from the unpacking?) that was found in the tank. The pump had to be replaced.
    MadRider777, KMichael and Shaggie like this.
  9. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh my! :hair
    popscycle likes this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Stumbled upon this relic, while passing through Plainwell, Michigan - on the way home (this afternoon) from the "Third Coast".

20190804_210017-01.jpeg
    B10Dave, popscycle, zookster and 2 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That has to be one of the more unusual station/freight houses I have seen. Great catch! Thanks!!
    GAS GUY and Shaggie like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Into Town - No. 3: I have always found the impressions that could be formed when initially riding into town interesting. This year, I started taking pictures of those initial visuals and will be (very) briefly sharing the thoughts the visuals formed. The 3nd of these is Millers Falls, MA, where my first impression was that of a mill town. A mill was the giveaway

[​IMG]

Coming into town on Main Street off of Rt. 2, you would probably know this was a mill town since you'd just passed by an abandoned paper mill before coming across Millers River into the town. The town was, however, first established in 1824 as an agricultural community, named Grout's Corner after first settler Martin Grout (1790–1865). Today, Millers Falls is a CDP (i.e., census-designated place) in the town of Montague, MA. The river and falls at Grout's Corner made it a natural place for a mill and the Millers Falls Manufacturing company (a company once noted for its famed, high quality hand tools.) The picture was taken at coordinates 42.578369, -72.493002. That location would be just behind the street car shown in the old postcard below.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and 4 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata: Another pic of the Thompson Covered Bridge I missed with the Ashuelot covered bridges post.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, B10Dave, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Into Town - No. 4: I have always found the impressions that could be formed when initially riding into town interesting. This year, I started taking pictures of those initial visuals and will be (very) briefly sharing the thoughts the visuals formed. The 4th of these is Troy, NH, where my first impression was that of a small, rural agricultural town. It probably started out that way, but was essentially wrong.

[​IMG]

Troy was first settled in 1762 and incorporated in 1815. Around 1851, Troy Mills was established and initially made materials for horse blankets. That enterprise served as the backbone of the town's economy for over 100 years. The company declared bankruptcy in late 2001 and ceased operations in 2002. The mill complex began renovation as a retirement center in 2008. The iconic town hall, shown below, was built in 1814.

[​IMG]

Troy is a town I've always ridden through but never explored. On the to-do list is exploring the mill complex and getting a pic of the town's old Boston & Main railroad station, which has been preserved. These pictures were taken at or near coordinates 42.826120, -72.182921.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Home For A Bit: R2 (a.k.a. Kevin) came home from LA for a week's vacation. Got a pic (iPhone photo) of him mulling over his want-to-do list whilst the two of us were quaffing a cold lager in the man cave.

[​IMG]

Kevin had just installed new batteries in his two steeds, the Harley and the GS (not pictured). With both bikes needing a current inspection, he has the redhead to ride if he chooses. So far, he's happy driving the Miata. I am happy riding/driving whatever he doesn't choose.
    GAS GUY, B10Dave, zookster and 3 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Into Town - No. 5: I have always found the impressions that could be formed when initially riding into town interesting. This year, I started taking pictures of those initial visuals and will be (very) briefly sharing the thoughts the visuals might form. The 5th of these is Conway, MA, where my first impression was that of a small, rural agricultural town that time forgot. Conway lies in the foothills of the Berkshires.

[​IMG]

Conway was first settled in 1762 along what is now the South River and incorporated in 1767. Farms quickly and thickly developed in the surrounding hills. As land was cleared for farms, the wood fueled the startup of sawmills along the river. By the mid 1800s, Conway was a bustling manufacturing town with numerous factories and mills along the small river. Everything from textiles, hats, furniture, and cutlery to washing “machines” were made here. Eventually the cost of transporting materials and goods in and out of Conway killed its industrial base. Today, only one small manufacturing company still exists in the town along with one small store (gas, some groceries and a luncheonette). Although dwindling, family farms still persist in the hills. Route 116, which runs from Deerfield through Conway west to Adams, is a favorite motorcycle road that is well-paved, hilly/twisty and scenic. Below is a pic taken by the Sourth River bridge on 10/17/2014 looking back toward where the above pic was taken this month (i.e., coordinates 42.509077, -72.698157).

[​IMG]

Conway had several notable residents: One was Marshall Field, who founded the once-famous Marshall Field's department store in Chicago. Another local of note was Archibald MacLeish, famed poet and Librarian of Congress. Less well known was William Whitney, a financier who was Secretary of the Navy from 1885 to 1889.
    B10Dave, KMichael, zookster and 3 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Back From The Dead: Several posts back, I mentioned that R2 (a.k.a. Kevin) came home from LA for a week's vacation. He found a mouse nest in the Harley and dead batteries in both the Harley and GS. Replacing the batteries got the Harley started but not the GS. It would not fire, having been sitting for two years with precious little gas in the tank (an unintentional oversight in the heat of changing jobs). Finally, when the battery was fully charged, GS reluctantly started with some coaxing and he rode off to warm it up and get some gas.

[​IMG]

Some time later, I start getting picture messages on my iPhone like the one below.

[​IMG]

Kevin had no sooner gotten gas than he headed into the boonies for some adventure. He won't tell me where he was having all this fun, but the bluehead is certainly back from the dead.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We Lost One This Morning: A friend of this thread is gone. Inmate Panzer passed away this morning. He wanted no visitors, remembrances or tributes so we'll just say RIP Pete. Our sincerest condolences to his brother, family and friends.

[​IMG]

The road less traveled will be a little more so now.
    KMichael and GAS GUY like this.
  19. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    RIP Panzer.

Nice photo remembrance for him.

John
    popscycle likes this.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang! :(