Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    RIP indeed
    popscycle likes this.
  2. MadRider777

MadRider777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    God save his soul
    popscycle likes this.
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We Raised Our Glass - In thanks to those who've gone before us.

[​IMG]

It's what we do from time to time. Today was one of those times.
    NxtGoRnd, Deckyon and B10Dave like this.
  4. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride In Peace Panzer.

A nice tribute and pic , John

Condolences to Panzer's friends and family including you.

Shane
    popscycle likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Still A Great Ride: Thought I would take a ride to the Palmer diamond on Friday last and see if I could catch some train action sitting in the shade of the station (now a restaurant) awning. Below is what I saw.

[​IMG]

That would be nothing but continuously empty track and that tired old Porter. The ride was still great, though and I did do better later at the yard. Today is showing riding potential now that Kevin's got his GS fueled and inspected.
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Glory Be, Movement In The Yard: A happenstance ride by the PA yard was heralded by the siren song of train whistles. I wicked it up and turned into the yard just in time to catch these two birds switching tracks to go back into the yard.

[​IMG]

Waiting for the engineer/switchman (looked like a 1 man crew) to do his job gave me time to get off the bike and position for the next two shots.

[​IMG]

They were headed into the yard, where they parked.

[​IMG]

Catching something moving was a treat.
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Invasion Of The Inner Tubes: While crossing the Deerfield River this morning, we encountered van loads of inflated inner tubes being prepared for an invasion of tubers.

[​IMG]

We did not wait around for the busload(s) of tubers to show up.
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day here today John so I went train hunting in Paris and Brantford Ont. The town of Paris has cleared out a bunch of growth at the overlook so the picture opportunity is better.
    tr 009.jpg

I caught the tail end of a westbound freight; a high railer truck and the westbound ViaRail on the bridge while I was there.

tr 005.jpg

tr 006.jpg

tr 010.jpg

Went to the top of the hill to get lunch at the chip trailer there. Nice lady named Sharon has excellent chips and burgers, sausage etc. Good value for money and tasty. I then rode over to Brantford; about 15 miles east ; only to find lots of cars and no power in the yard in front of the station. Oh well; you can't be lucky every time. Nice ride home through Burford with a stop at Scoops for ice cream. Great 120 mile day.

tr 013.jpg
    NxtGoRnd, zookster, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great pictures, Dave. IMNO, you just can't have enough train bridge pics. As for the yard, yours is nicer than the PA yard, which is rather muddy and junky. The PA yard does, though, usually have some power sitting around; however, catching anything moving is the challenge. Below are some NS units I caught several weeks back.

[​IMG]

NS has this joint track and facilities venture with Pan Am, which is why you see their engines in the yard. The joint venture, named Pan Am Southern, was formed to improve the rail route between Albany NY, and and the Boston area via Ayer, MA.
    Shaggie, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Good Riding Rest Stop: Being older than most, I may have a greater appreciation for good places to get off the bike and rest, stretch, snack, hydrate, etc. It is for that reason that I remind you of this stellar stop.

[​IMG]

This particular rest stop of note is the Apex Orchard store that is just off the Mohawk Trail (i.e., Rt. 2) on Peckville Road at coordinates 42.624745, -72.659407. Aside from some refreshment, the view is superb.

[​IMG]

We are reminded of this place with fall just around the corner. As always, we have no affiliation with or interest in this particular enterprise.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoa with the "fall" talk John. Summer's only half over!!!!..(I hope)
    popscycle likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely right, I apologize and here's a picture of the bikes out in the boonies, taking in the mountain greenery that's not about to go away any time soon.

[​IMG]
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Sweet Road: Here are some shots on back roads in the Berkshire foothills taken on a day when temps were in the 70s.

[​IMG]

This is on-road riding at its best with relaxing sweepers, green vistas, hills and farms. I love farms.

[​IMG]

Chances are good you pass by a sugar house or two.

[​IMG]

There are open areas where road visibility lets you more safely fuel the fire a bit.

[​IMG]

And again, there are the vistas to enjoy.

[​IMG]

Add in some gravel road extensions and you have all the ingredients for a perfect riding day.
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen and Eaten While Riding: Arguably the world's best and tastiest sticky bun. It's a happy meal.

[​IMG]

Fresh out of Rose 32's wood-fired oven, this wonderfully flaky bun was drizzled with a sweet pecan glaze and eaten down the road a few miles at a farm stand's picnic table.
    NxtGoRnd, zookster, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Farm Stand: For several consecutive weeks now, there's been no farmer's market in town for reasons unknown. When a ride took me by this farm stand, I stopped, bought a half dozen ears of butter and sugar corn and ate a sticky bun purchased some miles back (see previous post).

[​IMG]

As farm stands go, this one's a winner IMHO.
    NxtGoRnd, B10Dave, zookster and 5 others like this.
  16. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Any more pics of the farm stand , John?

Inside looks interesting

Shane
  17. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    And I really liked the ‘entering town’ series...:thumb
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no. I was too busy snarfing up the sticky bun and wanting to get back on the road to take more. Next time I go by there, though, I will.
    Shaggie likes this.
  19. Shaggie

Oddometer:
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Into Town - No. 6: I have always found the impressions that could be formed when initially riding into town interesting. This year, I started taking pictures of those initial visuals and will be (very) briefly sharing the thoughts the visuals might form. The 6th of these is Princeton, MA, where my first impression was that of a small, once-wealthy town.

[​IMG]

Princeton was incorporated in 1759 and named after the Rev. Thomas Prince, who was pastor of the Old South Church in Boston and one of the first proprietors in the town. The town has an interesting heritage. In 1675, long before the town was settled, Mary Rowlandson of Lancaster was ransomed upon Princeton's "Redemption Rock" from the Indian chief King Philip after eleven harrowing weeks in captivity. During the revolutionary was, the town fielded its own company of Minute Men. During the mid 1800s to early 1900s, the town became a well-known resort and spa town. Being at higher elevations, people from Boston and surrounding areas would escape summer heat by coming to Princeton, which boasted 6 major hotels and and a number of inns and boarding houses. Records show that 8 trains a day would bring people to Princeton during the "season". Below is an internet pic of one of the hotels that, like others, eventually burned down.

[​IMG]

Seasonal visitors to Princeton included such luminaries as Louisa May Alcott, Sarah Bernhardt, Lydia Pinkham, the Harpers of Harper's Magazine, Thomas Edison, etc. Sadly, none of the grand old hotels are left but there are still some grand old homes. Below is the 1874 Gregory House.

[​IMG]

I took the both pictures at or about coordinates 42.448741, -71.876980. The house above was just to the right of where I stopped the bike.
    NxtGoRnd, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.