Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barn Find Redux: Kevin and I were out riding last week and we took a chance ride by an old foundry. Finding the door open we knew the owner, Jeff, was close by and up to something.

[​IMG]

Kevin had never seen the inside of this gem of an old building, let alone Jeff's wonderful old fire engine - a toasty 1935 Mack hook and ladder truck. Jeff says it still runs. Jeff likes Mack trucks.

[​IMG]

Jeff says he'll sell the fire engine but only to a discriminating buyer who has the facilities to take care of it properly. As for the dirty sand floor, that's what all old foundries had.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Pilgrimage To The Pumpkin Seed: In the short week Kevin was home from LA, we got in about 180 miles of riding that included numerous stops. One of those stops was at the notable, if not famous, historic "pumpkin seed" bridge. Also stopped was another white van unloading inner tubes for some upcoming float.

[​IMG]

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, this 1882 bridge is a lenticular truss bridge known as a 'pumpkin seed'. Aside from getting your ride across the Deerfield River gorge, it's a great place to stretch and view the river.

[​IMG]

Aside from being up high on the scenic value scale, I especially like how the bridge's planks rattle when you ride over them. Pure music to those who love old bridges.
  3. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    you really do like the bridge..
    I never get tired of your pics,since i only have this one taken awhile ago.
    I need to take more photos now that i am retired and riding everyday, alone.
    tag 013.jpg tag 009.jpg
    Shaggie, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  4. MarkVeeMarkADV

Oddometer:
    ok, TWO photos....

Mark in Orange..
    by the way, I just bot a 14 v2strom 1k, I love it.
    still have my 05 1k .
    popscycle likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mark. You just can't have too many pics of that wonderful old bridge. Speaking of Orange, I need to ride through there again this year and get a pic of the old house just up the hill from the Historical Society house (and renew my membership there).
    Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails: A happy part of an old rail trail (i.e. the part that has no 'No Motorized Vehicles" signage).

[​IMG]

This is one of the zippy bits where potholes are minimal if you ride the center line.
    Shaggie, NxtGoRnd, zookster and 3 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen On The Road To Athol: There is really not much to see on the road to Athol except trees and what looks to be an old stage stop and inn.

[​IMG]
    Massabusa, Shaggie, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  8. MarkVeeMarkADV

Oddometer:
    The Warwick Inn. was a dance hall and bar when I was in high school in 70's(fuzzy recollection).
    I remember wearing my cleanest flannel shirt on those nights. heh,heh.
    The police chief used to call me Mr. Sullivan.
    Gosh darn it, you probably rode on rte. 78, by me/my house.

Mark
    Shaggie, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting me know at building was an inn. I had been trying to find its history. Also, I ride 78 a good bit when heading north into NH on the east side of the CT River, but that pic was taken as I has heading west from Athol.
    Shaggie likes this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding - Classic Old Structures: Being a fan of old structures, I photographed these three classics on recent rides. The first is a farmstead colonial.

[​IMG]

It looks like they were in the process of restoring this old barn.

[​IMG]

Finally, there was this well-maintained old carriage house/barn, sporting a newer, small addition. I am wondering if it was once a firehouse.

[​IMG]
    Massabusa, Shaggie, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  11. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When ever I see anything Train related I always think of this thread. The Skunk Train that runs from Willits, Calif. out to Fort Bragg on the coast, I rode it with my parents as a kid. This is the Depot in Fort Bragg, I really need to ride it again.

IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1133.JPG
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  12. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    these last few photos reminded me that we are on the downward slide into September and Fall. I cant wait to see your area once that happens. It's really hard to beat NE for fall color and colonial buildings. It all screams Halloween and Pie to me.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ha, don't let Dave here you say that. He's thinking perpetual summer right now but when the colors come, we'll be out there, God willing.
    Shaggie, KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. Should you ride it, and we hope you do, please take pics en route.
    KMichael and WRC51 like this.
  15. UselessOnABike

UselessOnABike Chris McCartney

Oddometer:
    Northern Ireland. Past: Australia, & New Zealand
    Some beautiful photography there gentlemen. The United States looks like an amazing place for road trips!
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bountiful Beaver-Built Beauty: You can find a lot of beaver dams in this part of the country; however, not that many are right next to the road where you can get a good look at them. This one was.

[​IMG]

While riding some gravel in VT yesterday, I came across what I think was an old grist or sawmill pond where beavers had repaired the old dam. Grist and sawmills were the first water-powered enterprises that would spring up wherever people settled.

[​IMG]

I guess you could say the beavers (re)created this scenic view. Aside from what appeared to be some manicured grass near the edge of pond, I didn't see any other indicators of people living nearby. But then, I didn't go looking either. Road structures and intersections suggest the area once saw some population.
    black 8, Massabusa, Shaggie and 8 others like this.
  17. UselessOnABike

UselessOnABike Chris McCartney

Oddometer:
    Northern Ireland. Past: Australia, & New Zealand
    That looks very beautiful. Beaver's are very intelligent little animals. They're not very commonly found around the world. North America and some of Europe. Throughout history they were almost hunted to extinction in Europe, but they're slowly being reintroduced throughout Europe. I've never seen one in my life. That lake there is begging for a kayak!
    KMichael, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You Know You Want To Go: That would be go and find out what's around the corner and down the trail.

[​IMG]

Having neither the time (already late getting back) nor the landowner's permission, that farm trail was a no-go. As kids, we learned to ride and drive ripping up and down farm trails and I find they still have that allure. Just not on this day.
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    No way that I could resist; that's trail nirvana right there.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, ADK and 2 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    As you probably know, most of the time all you see on those farm trails is farm - fields, sheds, livestock, old farm equipment, etc. Sometimes, though, you are lucky enough to encounter the field equivalent of a sweet barn find with a twist of weird thrown in. Kevin and I were tooling up this farm road and came across this back in 2014.

[​IMG]

Here's the weird part: A scoot-riding kid from a midwest farm town named Pontiac is tooling down a NE farm road as an old geezer on a new scoot and finds a 1953 Pontiac that is exactly like the used 53 Pontiac he almost bought as a senior in HS (with coin from 3 jobs after selling bike) but opted for a used 53 Chevy instead. Cue the strange music. :D