Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    It gets better; while riding an Ohio 1000 Iron Butt Ride on Saturday, I snapped this picture while overtaking a pristine 1953 Chevy, on Route 7 along the Ohio River.

P8100092.JPG
    FadinFast, NxtGoRnd, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's it. Give it a tan color and that'd be the one. I got the 53 in the summer of 59 going into my HS senior year just before 4 of us (on school newspaper) drove it from IL to Ohio University in Athens to attend a journalism workshop. It held up through the first year or two of college when I traded it for a 1957, big-finned Chrysler New Yorker (exactly like the internet image below) that turned out to be a really big POS.

[​IMG]

Note: Believe it or not, that was a popular color back then. Not so much now.
    FadinFast, NxtGoRnd, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Into Town - No. 7: I have always found the impressions that could be formed when initially riding into town interesting. This year, I started taking pictures of those initial visuals and will be (very) briefly sharing the thoughts the visuals might form. The 7th of these is Jaffrey, NH, where your first impression would like be that of a former mill town. There is a mill, shown below, adjacent to the Contoocook River in the middle of the town that has now been converted in to apartments.

[​IMG]

Jaffrey, NH, was first settled in the 1750s and incorporated in 1773. It was named after a wealthy, Portsmouth merchant named George Jaffrey, who never visited the town. Situated on the Contoocook River, larger commercial mills emerged in the mid 1800s from early grist and sawmills. Around the same time, the area's scenic beauty and local mountain (i.e., Mt. Monadnock) began attracting tourists and numerous tourist hotels sprang up in the area. Today, there are around 5,500 to 6,000 people in the town

[​IMG]

It may be of interest to note that towns folk are still interested in the unsolved 1918 murder of retired physician Dr. William Dean. Was it a rival, WWI spy, spurned lover, jealous neighbor or some other scurrilous individual who had the doctor bludgeoned, strangled and then tossed down a cistern. The historical society wants to know. See: A Cold Case In Jaffrey
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Two Personalities Of A River: Below are two different views of the Contoocook River in NH where the pictures were taken just a few yards from each other. The first view gives the river a peaceful, bucolic personality. The kind of river you might want to lazily float down on a canoe or kayak.

[​IMG]

Then just a few yards away, the peaceful beauty is rudely interrupted by a mill dam.

[​IMG]

The river changes into something busy, raw and industrial.

[​IMG]

This old mill has been rehabilitated into apartments. I wonder if the sound of the water helps folks fall asleep faster.
    NxtGoRnd, zookster, Shaggie and 6 others like this.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went rail fanning yesterday John. Weather was excellent but trains hard to find at first. Nothing in the yard in St Thomas.
    tra 002.jpg

Missed the ViaRail at Ingersoll.

tra 003.jpg

Went into London to the CP yard only to find lots of cars and no power.

tra 004.jpg

I had resigned myself to being happy with a picture of this MOW equipment.........

tra 005.jpg

........when these guys showed up. Unfortunately I was in the wrong place to get a good pic of them.

tra 006.jpg

Next stop was the CN yard where they were switching cars and building a train.

tra 007.jpg

They cut this car and then added another one like it. It was getting on to suppertime so I needed to head home. I have never been able to catch the evening frame train to St Thomas from London ( empty frame cars to Formet Industries and full cars of truck frames back to London) so I asked the yard guys when it left. They told me 6PM and I was on my way.

tra 020.jpg

tra 027.jpg

Attached Files:

NxtGoRnd, zookster, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    After supper I rode back to St Thomas to catch the frame train coming into town from London. Track to the left leads into the yard in the first pic of the last post. Switch is directly under the small overhead road bridge.

tra 038.jpg

tra 042.jpg

I went south and bypassed the train so I could meet it at the switch for the spur into Formet Industries. Note the two cars from this afternoon now being dropped in St Thomas with the empty frame cars.

tra 043.jpg

tra 054.jpg

I backtracked a couple of streets to take a picture of the site of one of the most famous rail accidents in North American rail history.

tra 057.jpg

tra 055.jpg

This statue of Jumbo is at the opposite end of town from where he was killed. A local craft brewer has an ale named for Jumbo.......Dead Elephant Ale.....a bit macabre in my opinion.

railcity 008.jpg
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:

Burning Down The Hotels and Inns
    : In the previous post above, I noted how all the tourist hotels that were once in Princeton, MA had burned down. This morning, while passing through Princeton, I was reminded that one of the last of the old inns also burned several years ago and has still been neither razed or rebuilt.

[​IMG]

There's a pattern here somewhere. In this particular case, the problems fighting the fire were lack of water, lack of personnel, lack of equipment and the structure's balloon framing (i.e., wall studs go from the foundation sill/plate all the way to the roof, with an unobstructed fire path up the walls).

[​IMG]

Above is what the place used to look like. A good many notables stayed here over the years before it became a private residence. (e.g., from Theodore Roosevelt to Paul Newman, et. al.)
    TT72, zookster, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Classic Railroad Station: Passing through Troy, NH, we stopped to look at the old Boston & Maine railroad station there. The Troy station was one of several B&M stations in NH's Cheshire Country on what was known as the Cheshire branch. Train service carried freight to and from the local blanket mills and granite quarry. Passenger service consisted of local traffic and travelers coming to visit Monadnock Mountain.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.824532, -72.184359, the 1847 station seems very well preserved and maintained, both inside and out as far as I could see.

[​IMG]

Train service to Troy ceased in the 1960s and the rail line was abandoned in 1972. For some time after that, the station was used as a private residence but restored sometime after 2002 and maintained since by a group known as the Troy Cheshire Railroad Commission.
    KMichael, TT72, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Something Old Seen While Riding: Just a neat, old, red schoolhouse ca. 1822 in NH at coordinates 42.828286, -72.057197.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, TT72, The Opa and 6 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Maybe Not The Best Old Structure But A Pretty Good One: Below is an old NH town meetinghouse that was built in 1775 around the same time as the Battle at Bunker Hill.

[​IMG]

In 1822, the bell tower and spire were added. One year later the town purchased and installed the bell, which was cast in Paul Revere's foundry. The meetinghouse initially served both as a place for town meetings and a church but was used only for the former as other church buildings were built. The horse sheds to the left and behind the meetinghouse were built in 1810. These buildings have, of course had restoration work done over the years.

[​IMG]

The meetinghouse is located at coordinates 42.828546, -72.056734.
    MadRider777, B10Dave, Shaggie and 6 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Stopover In Jaffrey: Just a pic of stop at Jaffrey Chamber of Commerce.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Behold A Rusty Horse: This was no revelation but rather a long-suffering sculpture sitting in a farmhouse yard. I was riding River Road next to the CT River this morning and finally stopped to take a pic of the thing.

[​IMG]

The sculpture was at coordinates 42.553006, -72.560533 this morning. It moves around somewhat.
    Massabusa, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Metamorphosis Of The Beer Garden Farm Continues: Every time I ride by the Stone Cow Farm, as I did yesterday, I think of the schizoid nature of Kafka's novella Die Verwandlung but where the protagonist is a farm instead of a person. The old family farm home has been almost fully transformed intro a pavilion.

[​IMG]

Given the crowds I've seen there on weekends, I was not surprised to see they are expanding the barn once again.

[​IMG]

What few business sense brain cells I have left are wondering if these folks aren't doing the service equivalent of "chasing the backlog". Another nagging question is whether or not they've outgrown the "porta-pissoir" facilities to the point of needing some serious sanitation facilities. In any event, it's been interesting watching this once-sleepy old farm and farm stand become something quite different.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ghost Bridge Redux: I very recently crossed the Eunice Williams Covered Bridge yet again without stopping to take a pic. As it happened, I ran across an unused picture of this bridge, shown below. This particular covered bridge is interesting because of ongoing reports of seeing the ghost of Eunice Williams at this bridge. She was murdered here by natives following the Deerfield Raid. She was not to be seen or heard on this, my second, time across.

[​IMG]

On February 29, 1704, warriors from the French army along with members of the Abenaki and Mohawk tribes attacked Deerfield, Massachusetts, killing 56 and taking 112 prisoner. Eunice Williams, her husband Reverend John Williams, and five of their seven children were among those captured. While crossing the Green River at the spot where the bridge is, Eunice, who had just given birth, collapsed. Under orders to kill anyone who couldn’t make the trip, she was killed in the river in front of her surviving family with one tomahawk blow. Locals and paranormals say her ghost survives to this day and be both seen and heard screaming.

Originally constructed in 1870, the bridge has been renovated and rebuilt numerous times. It was rebuilt in 1974 after a fire and extensively renovated with new piers after hurricane Irene in 2011. The sidewalk was left off that renovation. Also known as the Pumping Station Covered Bridge, it is located in Greenfield, MA, at coordinates 42.646597, -72.620053.
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Redhead Goes To Washington: That would be Washington, NH and the motive for going there was a combination of getting a good ride and seeing the town's classic, old meetinghouse. Like the town of Jaffrey, NH, and others; Washington has a classic town meetinghouse of the same general design.

[​IMG]

The town was incorporated in 1776 and the meetinghouse was constructed in 1787.

[​IMG]

The structure has been rehabilitated and well-maintained over the years.

[​IMG]

Also in the old town center are the 1883 center school, shown below, and congregational church that is shown in the first pic.

[​IMG]

Once a bustling town of lumber and grist mills, wooden goods manufacturing and sheep farms producing wool and mutton, Washington has languished and probably has fewer than 1,000 scattered residents. The meetinghouse is located at coordinates 43.176406,-72.095951.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Good to see you're scoring some train up (relatively) close. The best I could do of late was use the zoom lens to the extreme to catch a bunch of yellow nose power lollygagging around the yard.

[​IMG]

The one highlight was a rare heritage GP way out in the yard waiting around to do some switching work.

[​IMG]

Nothing was moving and roads were calling so I didn't stay around very long.
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; I have just acquired another "horse" for trotting around my vicinity looking for the elusive "Iron Horse". I am willing to bet it will give me miles of smiles in the coming years.

bsa 001.jpg
    Shaggie, TheAdmiral, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Into Town - No. 8: I have always found the impressions that could be formed when initially riding into town interesting. This year, I started taking pictures of those initial visuals and will be (very) briefly sharing the thoughts the visuals might form. The 8th of these is Ashfield, MA, where your first impression might have you wondering. Being more rural and spacious, it doesn't look like a mill town. It wasn't.

[​IMG]

Ashfield, MA, is what's known as a Proprietor Town; one of the sixteen Canada townships granted by Acts of the General Court of the Province of Massachusetts Bay to the officers and soldiers who had served in the failed 1690 Expedition to Canada during King William’s War. It was first called Weymouth Canada, and then Huntstown to honor a Captain Ephraim Hunt. The Proprietors were the soldiers, their heirs or assigns to whom the grants were given. Each proprietor drew for one of the lots previously laid out by surveyors chosen in 1738. The town was first settled in 1743 and incorporated in 1765. Although largely agrarian with small subsistence farms, there were the usual saw and grist mills on the small South River that flows through the area. Around 1754, residents were forced to leave the area out of fear of indian raids. Over the years, the town was noted for producing apples, mint oil, wool, honey and other farm products. The town did have some tourist trade in the middle to late 1800s, with several of the hotel/inns still standing (as apartments).

Below is a pic of the well-preserved old Episcopal Church (ca. 1828) in Ashfield.

[​IMG]

The only notable coming out of this town was Cecil B DeMille, whose parents were vacationing in the town at the time.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Junk Food Junket: It's an annual affair - that once-a-year thing where you go to some really old place that's been around forever for some serious junk food. Lynne said it was about time so we made the trek to the Art Bradish Hot Dog Stand. Had to take the Miata, though, since she no longer rides pillion. We have done this every year for over 30 years. That span of time is not a big deal given the lifespan of this place, which has been a family business since 1937. They've painted it once or twice or the years.

[​IMG]

The fare's what you'd expect in this neck of the woods. That would be hot dogs, burgers, fries, onion rings, fish & chips and clams. It's not fast food. Nothing is cooked until you order it. We had the traditional feast of hotdogs, onion strings and a Coke. It should be noted that we were the first ones there at 11:30 and by 11:35, when the above pic was taken (on the iPhone), a line was forming. By the time we left just before 12, the lines were long and you could barely find a parking place.

Note: I have no interest in nor affiliation with Art Bradish's hot dog stand, which is located at coordinates 42.241594, -71.713903.
    Shaggie, Massabusa, zookster and 6 others like this.
  20. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Good ole hometown America. My dad would talk about the guy who would bring dogs and burgers on Saturdays to the VA in his hometown (Salisbury, PA) for their poker nights and other events. That guy has sense passed, but his sons do the same now.