Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Really Stupid (and Expensive) Way To Find Lost Motorcycle Stuff: R2 (Kevin) calls and says to get the SENA bluetooth charged for the next ride when he gets home. So I go looking for the SENA USB connector and, unable to find it, also learn I cannot find the helmet unit itself. Frustrated after several days of looking, I order a new 20S to replace the old one. Kudos to Revzilla for getting here in 2 days; however, I hadn't had the box open for more than several hours when the old unit was found lurking behind a bunch of stuff in a drawer.

[​IMG]

This isn't the first time I have made a purchase to replace something lost and then find it shortly thereafter. My excuse this time was that we'd gone through 2 moves in a year. That said, I still haven't found the original connector. Oh well, at least I now have a spare unit. Maybe I'll put it into the next new helmet, should there be a need.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You gotta also love those "good ole hometown" people, especially when uppity new town asshats try to shut down loveable ole hometown things. Sometime back, the prim and proper, letter-of-the-law, stuffshirts tried to close down the Bradish stand on the basis that it had no sanitary facilities, not to memtion it looks rather old. Fortunately sensible townsfolk put these jackwagons in their place and we still have the stand open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. They don't serve beer, which cuts down on the (HD) biker traffic.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  3. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    yeah. there's a little ice cream stand near here that is the same. they had to put in some portapots to get through last summer. Some people just want to watch the world burn.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  4. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Beautiful Beezer Dave. I had a '68 A65 Thunderbolt for several years. Good bikes if maintained properly!
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Fun And Adventure Of Discovering Old Stuff: In this case, I was riding north on MA 112 heading to the Mohawk trail when an old building, nearly hidden in the trees, caught my eye. I turned around, stopped and took this pic. How had I missed this one over the years? Too busy watching the road and enjoying the ride?

[​IMG]

Sitting along a stream, the structure has all the appearances of an old mill, perhaps a sawmill, that has been extended over the years. From what I could see zooming in, the larger building looked a little worse for the wear.

[​IMG]

There was a car parked on the other side, making me think this was not abandoned and probably occupied as private property, which I respect. With no one around to give me permission to look around, I mounted up and left. Located at coordinates 42.589770, -72.788901, more research is needed on this one. A visit or call to the local historical society (i.e., Buckland, MA) is in order, as is riding by in the fall or later.
    Shaggie, TheAdmiral, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  6. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I rode rtes 116 and 112 for years(30) until i followed local Keith Hedlund on an alternate route:
    The road on the right in your photo/ Baptist corner rd, to Wilder rd, turning left at intersection with
    Shelburne Falls rd. into town of Shelburne and Mohawk Trail. This route is smooth,curvy,no traffic
    thru farmland and forest.
    Let me grab my helmet...
    Massabusa, B10Dave, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You are correct and thanks for the reminder (it's been a while). The ride from Baptist Corner Road to Shelburne Falls Road is a sweet ride. Another favorite (long way around with gravel) alternative to 116 west to Ashfield is to get off on Pine Hill Road (winding, hilly gravel) in Conway up to Sabins/Beldingville Road west to Baptist Corner down into Ashfield, were you can continue on 116 west to wherever (e.g., Mt. Greylock). Be advised, though, that Pine Hill's maintenance can vary from season to season, can be dicey in spots and is the road on which Archibald Macleish lived (you can see his house about where pavement ends and gravel starts.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Noteworthy Old Railroad Structure. Below is the freight house that was on the B&M line in Troy, NH.

[​IMG]

Below is another view of the structure(s), which are located at coordinates 42.824293, -72.184677.

[​IMG]

I meant to post these with the Troy RR station pics but forgot.
    MadRider777, KMichael, TT72 and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Footlose In The Foothills: About 5 days ago, I was headed back east on MA 115 out of Ashfield, deliberately avoiding roads less scenic with more traffic (e.g., Mohawk Trail). Although not tired of the road, I have ridden it hundreds of times and decided to peel off onto gravel (i.e., Bullitt Road at coordinates 42.508965, -72.764121) and put some life back into the stiff legs and tired butt.

[​IMG]

Now this is a very roundabout way of getting back east; however, it can be good therapy for the mind as well as the body.

[​IMG]

I eventually got on Main Poland Road and headed back north, passing through the rock formation known as Poland Gate, shown below in a picture taken some years back.

[​IMG]

The road ended up back on 116 at the restored 1869 Burkeville Covered Bridge at coordinates 42.507755, -72.711062.

[​IMG]

No Advil needed for the body parts after that.
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 5 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Digging The Shortline: I was riding north through Grafton, MA, on Rt 140 and noticed several rather busy streets blocked off and stopped to see what was going on. Lo and behold, they were digging up Grafton & Upton's mainline.

[​IMG]

As we've written before, Grafton & Upton is a really old and very short line railroad - about 16.5 miles to be more precise. The work is blocking two streets, one of them a major route (Rt. 30).

[​IMG]

What made it somewhat interesting is the location of the dig, which is just outside the railroad's northern terminus yard where all their propane storage tanks are located. This is to say their propane and other transportation is on hold until the track work is completed.

[​IMG]

The intersection above did not previously have flashers or gates given the very low volume of rail traffic (once a day, perhaps). The engine would stop and a switchman would climb down to make sure any approaching traffic was stopped before the waving the (short) train across. I suspect increasing road and train traffic, plus drainage issues, is causing this crossing upgrade.
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 3 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Accidental Covered Bridge: I thought I knew where all (or most) of the covered bridges were in New England, having plotted them in Garmin Basecamp years ago. It was by accident that I happened by one sitting just off Cheshire Turnpike Road in NH. You could be forgiven for mistaking it for a shed as it is quite small, actually the smallest covered bridge in NH.

[​IMG]

Originally built in 1791 and rehabilitated/rebuilt in following years, the Prentiss Covered bridge spans Great Brook in Langdon, NH, at coordinates 43.153126, -72.393345. Construction is a town lattice truss with a span/length of 35.1 ft., deck width of 16.1 ft and clearance above the deck of 8.3 ft.

[​IMG]

The Cheshire Turnpike Company, which was one of the many private, NH road companies of the period, took over the bridge in 1805 as part of the turnpike from Canada to Boston. The bridge was in use from then up until 1954 when a new road was built. Although mostly overgrown, you can still see bits of the old Cheshire Tpk road. Not wanting to wrestle the GS in the off-road muck by the bridge, I parked the redhead by the main road and walked down. This tiny, neglected bridge is a contrast to the well-maintained, larger Burkeville bridge I crossed several days earlier.

[​IMG]

It goes without saying that we like bridges, especially covered ones.
  12. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    amen: from 2017......

pcm 006.jpg
    KMichael, Shaggie, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Classic Meetinghouse: I was riding the newer, old Cheshire Turnpike road and, having just enjoyed seeing NH's shortest covered bridge, I came across another classic New England meetinghouse in Langdon, NH, center. It is located at coordinates 43.166962, -72.379501.

[​IMG]

Langdon center consists of the old meeting hall, a graveyard, several houses, a church and a farmstead at the intersection of 4 roads. The meetinghouse is a 2-1/2 story timber-framed building built in 1801 and renovated and maintained over the years. It began as both a place of worship and seat of town government and is still used as the center of social and community activities.

[​IMG]

The town of Langdon was first settled in 1773 by Seth Walker and incorporated on January 11, 1787. We could not find much of anything or anyone of major historical note in Langdon other than the Prentiss Covered Bridge. There was this interesting structure just across Holden Hill Road.

[​IMG]

Noting the big step down from the door, the structure and placement seems odd. I am wondering if the stones aren't the foundation remains of an earlier building, such as a bank barn. We did not see one living person anywhere while taking pics. I feel somewhat compelled to ride back up there to find someone to ask. Maybe a note to some historical society person would be better if I can find one.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I rode by the RR crossing yesterday and saw they had laid the new track and were finishing the crossing. This means the trains will start running again, if they haven't already.

[​IMG]

As I previously mention, this crossing is just a few blocks south of the railroad's northern terminus, shown below, where they have a major propane terminal operation.

[​IMG]

The curved track to the left comes off the CSX/MBTA mainline, where freight is generally shunted on/off at night when the "T" isn't running commuter trains.
    KMichael, Shaggie, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  15. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wife and I got ready to go out on a short ride , her Sena 30k was gone from her helmet, I don't remember taking it off, must have popped off when we hung our helmets on the bike to eat, fell off going down the road, or who knows, but I've yet to find it.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I don't really "like" your losing a Sena post but do hope you don't have to find it the way I seem to (i.e., after buying another one).
  17. Toadady

Oddometer:
    we need 2, son totaled his out when he found the front of a car with his bike, and now this one has went MIA
    popscycle likes this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Again I don't "like" hearing your son met the front end of the car but do like to assume he will be OK. That said, I trust you son is OK or will be.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Where The Mill Owner Lived: Out for a short ride this morning (out by 10:00 AM and back by 1:00 PM), I came upon this place, said "whoa horse", got off and took some pics.

[​IMG]

I've now learned this was the home of the Barrett family, who were mill owners in and around New Ipswich, NH. There's quite a family story here.

[​IMG]

The house was built in 1800 by Charles Barrett as a residence for his son Charles Barrett Jr. The Barrett textile mills produced cotton fabric for domestic use and export. Their house is an example of federal architecture and fine 18th and 19th century craftsmanship. We have put trying to get more information on and a tour of this place on our dance card. The house is located at coordinates 42.753336, -71.855782.
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 3 others like this.
  20. Toadady

Oddometer:
    oh ya he's fine, bike has already been replaced and all
    KMichael, popscycle and jeickerman like this.