Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful pics in your last posts John. Time for a train pic or two to diversify the post content. Caught Via train 73 in Woodstock Ontario today while out on a jaunt. Also caught a burger and fries for lunch after. Told Mike to just make it a half order of fries as he always gives too many for me to eat and I hate to throw away good food. Still plenty to go with the burger.

via 007.jpg

via 008.jpg

via 010.jpg

via 012.jpg

via 013.jpg

via 014.jpg
    NxtGoRnd, GAS GUY, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave! Trains are in short supply right now as we've lately been riding around NH, which isn't rich in railroads. Outside of Conway Scenic and Amtrak's Vermonter, which cuts through NH, trains are quite rare. We did, though, happen upon a set of RR bridges whose tracks were not rusty.

[​IMG]

Curiosity is now pushing me to track down whatever is running these rails, which will likely be another RR (i.e., the Shiny Rails Mystery). It also makes one want to get a rail bike or speeder to ride these rails, as they look to be scenic. At issue here is who owns the line, who has rights to the line and who's using the line. Three distinct issues.
    NxtGoRnd, klaviator, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata - Misc. NH Ride Pics of Late: Some recent (last 5 days) ride pics in no particular order with no particular importance. First, shown below, is the front of a 1795 meetinghouse at coordinates 42.951086, -71.871937.

[​IMG]

Below is a view of Highland Lake, taken at coordinates 43.078586, -72.097444.

[​IMG]

The house below, which is on the National Historic Register, is at coordinates 42.973284, -71.981084.

[​IMG]

Below is a well-weathered, old lake cabin and boathouse on Highland Lake.

[​IMG]

More to follow as time allows for conversion.
    NxtGoRnd, zookster, klaviator and 7 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just Milling Around in NH: Catching up on converting Labor Day holiday mill pics, shown below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Classic, Historic Meetinghouse: Shown below, this classic wood frame meetinghouse was built on Greenfield, NH in 1795. It is located at coordinates 42.951093, -71.871951.

[​IMG]

In 1867 the building was rotated ninety degrees and raised two feet, a vestibule was built, and the belltower placed atop. It is thought this is one of the oldest that is still used for both religious and secular meetings.

[​IMG]

The town of Greenfield, NH was first settled in 1753 by the Lynde family and incorporated in 1791. It currently has a population somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 and no appreciable industry that we could find.

[​IMG]

At one time, the town's claim to fame was having the world's most powerful trebuchet, which was located just off Rt. 31 at coordinates 42.920696, -71.841538. Having taken picture of the trebuchet some years back, I will try to find them.
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Greenfield, NH, Trebuchet: Below is a picture I took of the trebuchet back in Sep. 2015. It was once the most powerful in the world back around 2008 and 2009.

[​IMG]

Known as the "Yankee Siege", the trebuchet was retired from competition in 2010 and still sits on its own testing and proving ground just off Rt 31 at coordinates 42.920696, -71.841538. Also on the grounds is a 14 foot diameter Mace Ball weighing 10,000 pounds that could be lifted with an onsite crane and dropped on the object of your choice for a modest fee.

[​IMG]

This is to say you could once rent a chunking and crushing event. Don't know if they still do that.
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Marlow Meetinghouse Meandering: Appreciation for old buildings notwithstanding, Marlow NH has an interesting old meetinghouse. Known as The Meeting House On Marlow Hill or Jones hall, this structure was built between 1792 and 1799. Like many NH meetinghouses, it was initially both a church and a public hall. The spire was removed sometime around 1890 when the Jones family bought the hall and converted it into more of a secular meeting place, complete with stage and heating.

[​IMG]

Today, a portion of the lower level serves as the town library. Like many, if not most, small town libraries, ihours are quite irregular. It is only open certain hours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On the first Friday of the month, the library has a free movie night at 7:30.

[​IMG]

Just across the street is another interesting old structure - the Odd Fellows Hall. It was built around 1851 to house the South Marlow Academy, which was owned by the citizens. Around 1857, a spiritualist named Josiah L. D. Otis purchased the building, intending to turn it into a "normal" school (i.e., a school that trains high school students to be teachers). That venture failed and the building was sold to the Baptists in 1857. In 1871, the newly organized Marlow Academy Association re-acquired the building and reopened the school. It closed in 1889. The IOOF (i.e., Odd Fellows), who had been renting space in the school since around 1883, purchased the building in 1891 for $500.

[​IMG]

You should know it was not uncommon for schools and churches to have two front doors, such as in the hall above. One would be for the menfolk and the other for ladies and girls.
    NxtGoRnd, Shaggie, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ride Report Note - The General Store Chronicles: Just as an FYI and perhaps NSFW (Not Suitable For Whomever), R2 and I have had some heavy discussions about road food and places where we like to eat. Without question, it turns out we prefer old fashioned, small town, non-chain general stores that are by, for and of local folk who serve food, either with a deli or luncheonette. As a result, we will periodically post our "General Store Chronicles" that outline places we stop so that you might be aware of them and have some degree of reasonable expectation of what they're like. Once in a while, we may also post visits of a places happened upon in the cage, as it might relate to riders passing by.

This all started when we thought we'd hit nirvana in old time general store atmosphere and food. Two times through this one particular place we encountered tasty food, great atmosphere and friendly folk. Below is a picture of this catalytic store with more info and pics to follow.

[​IMG]

Edit Note: This isn't intended to be about us and where we've been. It is more about you and where you might want to go/stop (or not : - ).
    Shaggie, NxtGoRnd, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some Old Church Structures: When you encounter old meetinghouses, the chances are good an old church building will be nearby. The chances are also good that such church bodies will be in some degree of trouble as building maintenance costs increase and membership dwindles. Below are three such structures, the first of which is relatively new - an 1839 structure of classic NE design in Bennington, NH, at coordinates .002024, -71.923160.

[​IMG]

The next church building, shown below, is the United Methodist Church in Marlow, NH at coordinates 43.116104, -72.199417. It was built in 1829.

[​IMG]

The third, shown below, is the Community Christian Church in New Ipswich, NH, at coordinates 42.756258, -71.854187. Not in good shape, the building looks like a classic structure that was given a Greek revival, frontal face lift. The building did not show signs of recent use and I could find little data on it.

[​IMG]

More to follow as we hope to head out for a good ride this morning.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The General Store Chronicles - South Acworth Village Store: Located on NH Rt. 123fA at coordinates43.190261, -72.283160, this general store was established in 1865. It is one of our favorites and we stop here anytime we're in the neighborhood (e.g., 50 miles or so).

[​IMG]

This is a place that always puts a smile on our face when we pull up to it. The folks are friendly and the food good.

[​IMG]

Whenever near, we stop for the atmosphere and the grub. They have several booths, tables and a short counter. On one stop, I had one of the best tasting bacon cheeseburgers ever - done to perfection. A late breakfast stop on another day saw a really big and tasty sausage, egg and cheese croissant sandwich on my plate. I needed a knife and fork to eat it.

[​IMG]

The structure was built by Acworth citizens as 'Union Hall', which was a community gathering place for returning Civil War Soldiers and local citizenry. Over time, the hall gained a store and a post office. That post office is still there and operating, as shown below.

[​IMG]

There's also room out back, where they have a number of picnic tables. The last time through, they had fired up the smoker for what looked like a community "feed". You can bet that's on our dance card.

[​IMG]

Aside from breakfast and lunch, they sell groceries, beer, wine, milk and many locally made products including freshly made pastry. As always, we've no affiliation with or interest in the Village Store. We highly recommend it, though! The front porch is a good place to take a break from your ride and replenish. You can see my Coke on the table below.

[​IMG]
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, The Opa and 4 others like this.
  11. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    surely these posts are gonna have lat/long co-ords!! :deal:wave

Edit: as you were.....:lol3:thumb
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  12. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

Have to say John that when i finally (hopefully) get to the North America's to ride a meandering and apparently mostly aimless ride, that these are EXACTLY the places i want to stop in and chew
    the fat with the locals awhile - treat them to my Kiwi accent and ways....:raabia
    KMichael, The Opa, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We have such a glut of mini-mart gas stations that these kind of stores are, IMHO, a rider's gift. And, as you have ably noted, being able to meet and chat with the locals makes it all that more interesting.

Just yesterday, I had lunch with some locals who didn't mind having their picture taken (I always ask for permission) and, as almost always, I came away with more information (e.g., where to go, what to see, who has what, what back roads to ride/avoid, etc. ) than I had going in.

[​IMG]

On this particular day, I got some road information and an update on the 6-legged male goat with the female back end. The goat info was fascinating and the road info was actionable. Win, win!

[​IMG]
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Unusual House: Located at coordinates 42.989189, -72.127778, this tiny (seemingly) old cape had unusually fine windows for such a small, period-inexpensive house. Most probably, windows and door have been updated; however, such windows are common in church-related structures and this one's across the common from a church.

[​IMG]

Unable to find any information, I am guessing this structure is late 1700s. Once again, yet another mystery to be investigated (i.e., a good excuse to ride).
    Shaggie, zookster, NxtGoRnd and 4 others like this.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Just broke off the trail and ran down to Nelsonville, Ohio for some chow, when I came across the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway.

20190906_132208.jpg
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks! If it weren't for you and Dave doing the heavy RR lifting, we'd have no RR pics at all. This, however, may change next week if I make it to the Rochelle diamond for some UP/BNSF action.
    jeickerman, B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The General Store Chronicles -The Ghost Of A Village Store. It was near the hearse house where we saw this well-mowed patch of land (at coordinates 43.078919, -72.114510) with a sign sticking up. Now what was that all about?

[​IMG]

You know we had to investigate. Here's what it said:

[​IMG]

Kevin had parked his bike across the street in front of this beautiful, old colonial to look at the hearse house next door.

[​IMG]

While he was involved in a territorial dispute with some chickens over at the hearse house next door, I was wondering if any of those two hearses had carried the body of poor, storekeeper Joel. I was also thinking the store in the picture looked just like the Village Store in S. Acworth.
    Shaggie, zookster, jeickerman and 4 others like this.
  18. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    The chickens won that dispute, btw.
    jeickerman and B10Dave like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well, when you see a rather foul-tempered fowl pacing back and forth with head down giving you the stink eye while doing guard duty on the steps of something as macabre as a hearse house, you know something's not right in the universe and it's wise to leave the bird alone unless you plan to cook it.

[​IMG]

That was no friendly chicken.
    Shaggie, zookster, jeickerman and 3 others like this.
  20. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Fixed it up.......
    KMichael, Shaggie, jeickerman and 2 others like this.