Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The General Store Chronicles -The Williamsburg General Store. We don't stop here all that often but when we do, it is for a very specific reason - to get and eat a "wrapple".

[​IMG]

Located on busy Rt 9 in Williamsburg, MA, at coordinates 42.391626, -72.729680, this general store is mostly a gift shop but with one major difference.

[​IMG]

That difference is a counter of baked goods, with one particular bit of tasty goodness - the "Wrapple". The Wrapple is like big slice of apple pie in a wrap of pie crust and cinnamon roll covered with frosting. It's a seasonal thing because if the proprietress can't get the apples she likes from one particular orchard, she won't bake them.

[​IMG]

Aside from the Wrapple, the store has other roll ups and pastries; however, I can't speak for them. Like the locals, of which I am not, I come for the Wrapple when they're in season.

[​IMG]

Below is the object of my affection - a Wrapple to be consumed on site. There's two more in the pannier. One is for later and the third to take home for Lynne.

[​IMG]

As is custom with folks who visit these old stores, the favored place to consume said Wrapple is on the porch in good weather. The weather was very good this day - low 70s. Unfortunately, autumn color will bring out the leaf peepers who'll mob this place. So, if you want a Wrapple, come before the leaves turn so as to miss the tour buses, gawking cagers and noisy pirates on Rt. 9.

[​IMG]

I have no idea of the history of this store. I just go there for a Wrapple or three.
    zookster, KMichael, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  2. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ perfection ^^^^
    KMichael, black 8 and popscycle like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nice Old Ford: Saw this pristine 1950 Ford while riding out to breakfast several days back. Didn't ask driver, who didn't want his pic taken, what's under the hood, thinking it was most likely a resto with a straight 6 or flathead 8 rather than some hot rod crate motor. I suppose it could be a sleeper, though.

[​IMG]

I had a HS friend who crammed a 1957 Olds J2 in a war surplus army jeep once. That was a sleeper.
  4. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I concur... nice find John...
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Classic Church: As you probably know, we like old buildings, especially mills, factories, meetinghouses and churches. Below is an 1841 village Congregational Church located at coordinates 42.990208, -72.127498.

[​IMG]

This well-maintained older structure is in the town of Nelson, NH, which was originally named Monadnock No. 6. It was first settled in 1767 by one Breed Batchelder in 1767 and incorporated in 1774.

[​IMG]

Nelson is another NH town that time forgot. Nearby streams and ponds once supported water-powered mills making chairs and cotton cloth but those have vanished without much of a trace. The one interesting thing I learned about Nelson was that it was/is the home of the Monday night contradance, which is still popular in parts of New England. The origins of contradance can be found in 17th century England and Scotland with later popularization in France. For those of you unfamiliar with contradancing, there's a video below.

zookster, KMichael, Shaggie and 2 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mill Town Or Movie Set? Kevin and I rolled into Harrisville NH and saw this mill, specifically Mill No. 1. As old mills go, this one was a gem with both old and newer buildings.

[​IMG]

Being mill buffs, we had to stop and look around. As you can see, it was added to numerous time. Now it seems to be hodgepodge of commercial spaces.

[​IMG]

We always like to check out whatever evidence of the mechanicals we can find. In this case, the head race was quite evident.

[​IMG]

The real treat, however, was farther up the head race where there were a number of earlier mills. Riding on up there, you'd think you've gone back in time to an original mill village. As Kevin said, "this is like an original movie set." Those pics will be the subject of a subsequent post when we get the time.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Taking An On-The-Road Hiatus. For the last several days, I've been trying to convert and post the last of the August pics before taking off to the foothills of Mt. Level. Anyway, we've packed up the laptop, cameras and gear and will be setting out to follow the exact track back to the midwest that I rode every few years to go back and see the folks when they were alive. Always short on time back then, I never took pictures along that route. God willing we'll get a few this time and post them next week. As always, this will not be about the details of our trip but more about some things you might like to see if you were traveling the route.
    zookster, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  8. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:

Ride safe and enjoy!
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  9. Shaggie

Oddometer:

Have fun

looking forward to your return and reporting

:wave:thumb
    KMichael likes this.
  10. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    John

I have been considering....

I'll take the South Acworth rest stop over Williamsburg if i had to choose....but hopefully i won't have to :D

Shane
    KMichael likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thus far, Shane, the South Acworth store is at the top of our list (i.e., for the people, atmosphere, food). We do, though, still have a bunch to report and more to revisit. Should get to posting some of those later this week. As of this moment, I am about to head out the door.
    KMichael, B10Dave and Shaggie like this.
  12. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    8A60E118-C42B-40B5-A621-73B0DF57D9EF.jpeg

I can surely see a couple of hours or more on one of those red stools chatting with the locals :raabia
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Newark, Ohio -

20190909_131317-01.jpeg

popscycle, B10Dave, andredl and 3 others like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeff; that is a beautiful mural. Are there any more in Newark?
    GAS GUY and popscycle like this.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Yes. There were many more murals with historical significance in Newark. None as sharp as that train mural though. Newark is incredibly interesting and also has a stunning courthouse, as so many of Ohio's small towns do.

20190908_102248.jpg

20190908_102405.jpg
    KMichael, jeickerman, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Newark, Ohio -

20190908_104749-01.jpeg
    KMichael, jeickerman, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; beautiful day here in Southern Ontario. Went to breakfast with some of the guys from our section of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Club. After breakfast I rode to Sarnia to catch some activity in the CN yard; over to Point Edward to photo the CN engine and tender in the park and then to the riverfront to catch an upbound "saltie" and the pilot boat following her out into Lake Huron to pick up the pilot. Close to 250 miles of good riding on a sunny warm day.
    auction 020.jpg

auction 021.jpg

auction 024.jpg

auction 026.jpg

auction 028.jpg

auction 030.jpg

auction 031.jpg

auction 038.jpg

auction 043.jpg
    KMichael, popscycle, zookster and 5 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Wow, you scored some serious power (5 CN units). Also, 6069 is a gem and the ships were very interesting. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us.
    KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Harrisville Mill Village - Part 1: As previously stated, our travel up the head race stream brought us to the original Harrisville mill village, which appears to look just like it did during the industrial revolution.

[​IMG]

The village borders the mill pond, whose waters powered a number of mills.

[​IMG]

There's original housing along side the millpond.

[​IMG]

City hall and other municipal buildings and homes are up stream from the mills.

[​IMG]

Harrisville is a unique, well-preserved 19th-century mill town. We did not explore it all but there are more pics to follow.
    Shaggie, jeickerman, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That Bridge: I stopped on the way west to see this bit of railroad history located at coordinates 41.759915, -78.588179.

[​IMG]

More pics of and on the Kinzua Bridge to follow.
    The Opa, Shaggie, jeickerman and 4 others like this.