Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics, Dave! The train mural is super and you captured some good fall color in the process! Thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us!!
    KMichael, Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Wetlands Color: A few more pics of the wetlands taken while riding on the old Boston Turnpike road at or about coordinates 42.444884, -71.993925.

[​IMG]

A zoom lens is helpful as riding out into this muck filled flood plain is out of the question for old farts on heavier bikes.

[​IMG]
    CamoColton, zookster, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Forgotten Breakfast: I happened across an iPhone pic that was taken earlier this month in Smethport PA. That morning's weather was crappy, I was very hungry and, on a whim, I pulled into the place below. Turned out, it was pure serendipity.

[​IMG]

The place is very small, not much to look at and only has a few tables but the breakfast was simply superb. Given how everyone who came in seemed to know everybody else, I am guessing it is a favorite spot for locals. This cafe was a case where judging the book by its cover or condition of its pages would be a big mistake. Located at coordinates 41.809370, -78.443991, this cafe served one of the best breakfasts I can remember and the service was fast and friendly.

Edit Note: Given the choice between this place and, say, Cracker Barrel for breakfast; I am guessing at least 99% of the people would choose the chain. As it stands now, I'd be in the 1% group. This place was like a big friendly family breakfast in a small room.
    GAS GUY, zookster, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  4. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Please add me to the 1% group. Regrettably it seems like terrific places like this are becoming increasingly rare.
    GAS GUY, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  5. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In Portland, Maine with the in-laws this weekend. Saw this as we were walking through one of the parks. It appears this is from the Maine Narrow Gauge museum: https://mainenarrowgauge.org/mission-history/

View attachment 1916061

Edit: apparently there is an issue with attaching pics via Tapatalk. I’ll fix when I’m back home on my real computer.
    popscycle likes this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Milling Around A Classic Mill: While on a ride several days ago, I was happy to see they haven't torn down this old factory and mill. This mill was once the country's premiere maker of cutlery, Lamson & Goodnow.

[​IMG]

A lot of the old mills had walkways from one building to another; however, this is the only curved walkway I've seen. Below is an internet pic of the inside of the walkway.

[​IMG]

Having ridden the redhead through some old mills (with permission), I am thinking this would make for an interesting ride and pose (assuming there are ramps as I don't do stairs on a bike any more).
    Shaggie, GAS GUY, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    First Color In NH Woods: The two pics below were taken several days ago while I was riding on some NH gravel.

[​IMG]

I stopped long enough to get the camera out of the tank bag and take the two shots.

[​IMG]

Full color is a week or two off in this location.
    Shaggie, GAS GUY, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  8. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_1196.jpg
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Other than the Durango & Silverton, I didn't realize there were any other narrow gauge steamers operating. That is an interesting engine and has sent me into the internet for more info. Well done!
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mill Pond Color: Some mill pond color taken several days ago at coordinates 42.945777, -72.095892.

[​IMG]
    TheAdmiral, Shaggie, dc_ok and 10 others like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I could stare at that for a while... in fact I did...

that's a nice scene John...
    B10Dave, klaviator and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Decades Old Mystery Solved with Five Dollars And A Jug Of Rum: I have wondered about the ruins below for over a decade now. I got the answer quite by accident on a ride several days ago.

[​IMG]

Now I know what this stone structure was and you will too soon, when I finish getting more pictures and details. Yes, this is a teaser.
    Shaggie, KMichael, zookster and 5 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    OK, About That Big Barn Biker Breakfast: After some ruminations, cogitations, agitations and assignations about that Maple Barn Breakfast post some days ago, we found more pictures of this event. We post these pics knowing that having a good breakfast is a critical component to a days, ride. It is like making sure your plane's tanks are full during a x-country pre-flight. The importance of this is not lost on others by noting the prized parking spots are reserved for motorcycle riders at said eatery. Get here any later and you'd have to park your ride down the road a bit.

[​IMG]

You will note above that our intrepid rider is all suited up and raring to go after a proper fueling. We got there very early. The picture below shows said rider eyeing the starting-off meal. Note his situational awareness.

[​IMG]

Below is the Barn "Special". You can't see the toast but there is a good bit of meat under those pancakes and the price was/is $12.49. After riding for an hour on empty, we'd have paid twice that.

[​IMG]

Some might say it's not a proper breakfast without grits, but they don't do those up here. Others, including myself, might criticize the absence of biscuits and red-eye gravy but would manage with the fare at hand. I feel another ride up into NH coming on.

NOTE: We've no affiliation with or interest in this remote (to us) restaurant.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Battlefield Reminder: Just a reminder for those riders who might be in the area around Oct. 12 and 13 that the Collings Foundation will have it's annual Battle For The Airfield reenactment at their HQ in Hudson, MA.

[​IMG]

The specific address is 568 Main Street, Hudson, MA at coordinates 42.391495, -71.504858. This is the drive that enters the foundation's HQ, which is over the line in Stow, MA.

[​IMG]

In addition to the reenactment, the fee gives visitors access to the car, plane and tank collections. The tank collection is housed in the foundation's new, world-class American Heritage Museum. Bring earplugs. Big guns are loud, especially the 88.

Note: We've no affiliation with the Collings Foundation. We just support what they do.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  15. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    This is riding nirvana. Great pics, great route.
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  16. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Well now I'm hungry. For the record I ate every bit of that breakfast. Next time I'm asking for three eggs.
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The General Store Chronicles - Grafton VT Village Store: The village store in Grafton VT, located at coordinates 43.172085, -72.607813, is one of our top coffee and/or lunch stops.

[​IMG]

The store is very well maintained, clean, well stocked (i.e., gifts, basics, cold drinks and sundry items), has a good deli and the coffee's always on. We have always found the service fast and friendly.

[​IMG]

There is an inside seating/eating area on the west side of the store (seen jutting out on the right in the top pic) and an outdoor garden seating area on the east side. On my last stop through Grafton on my way west, I had a very nice ham and swiss on marbled rye in the garden. Order inside and they will bring it out to you.

[​IMG]

The above was taken on one of those "It doesn't get any better" days. Regardless of the weather, the Grafton Village Store (a.k.a. MKT) is a top stop. Also, the town is one of those picture-postcard, New England villages, out of which (north and west) is an easy, but otherwise great, gravel road (Houghtenville Road/Rt 121)
    Shaggie, zookster, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dam, No Color: Taken a week ago as we rode across this dam in VT, there was no tree color whatsoever.

[​IMG]

That should be changing now. Note: Am behind on getting pics converted.
    Shaggie, KMichael, zookster and 3 others like this.
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Convert quicker.
    popscycle likes this.
  20. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice day here today John. Temps went into the low 80's. Not usual for Oct. 1st. Rest of the week will be wet and or much cooler. Went to St Thomas looking for trains. No power in the yard but 2 MOW machines and lots of tank cars.
    today 001.jpg

today 002.jpg

today 004.jpg

Next I went to the Elgin County Railroad Museum to see their progress on the transfer table. They replaced all the rotted/rusted metal in the undercarriage and now are putting new decking wood on it.

today 005.jpg

today 007.jpg

today 008.jpg

A short drive down to Port Stanley led me to the Port Stanley Terminal Rail tourist train sitting at the station ready for next weekends duties. "Stanley" is a 25ton GE locomotive built in 1952.

today 009.jpg

today 010.jpg

And then it was off to Ingersoll to catch the afternoon westbound ViaRail. Good day out in the sunshine. I think the KZ400 was glad to get out for a romp. It was getting neglected as I have been enjoying the BSA quite a bit lately.

today 011.jpg
    Shaggie, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.