Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I converted the one where you came to this fork in the road, saw this shack and skedaddled at some speed while trying to do a vocalization of dueling banjos.

[​IMG]

The pic above does, though, illustrate the kind of places we sometimes find up in the hills. This one looks more like a hunter's cabin than a domicile. By contrast, we also came upon this place, shown below.

[​IMG]

Note the four chimneys. They indicate a house of considerable wealth back in the day. Bottom line: There' s a great variety of structures back up in and around the Green Mountains.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Once again, Dave, you've come through with some really good stuff during our current train drought (i.e., it's been hard to find anything moving around here). I especially like the museum's using the old train barn and restoring its transfer table. One could see that place turning into a world-class museum as they acquire more.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The General Store Chronicles - Jacksonville VT General Store: This general store (ca. 1890) is located at the intersection of Rt 100 and Rt 112 in VT at coordinates 42.797129, -72.821645. It isn't one of our regular stops. The last time through, they were out of both hot coffee and cups to put it in. Another time, the cashier didn't seem to appreciate my small purchase. In any event, we are informing inmates plying this area of VT about the existence of this general store.

[​IMG]

Note: The store was up for sale in 2018, which could have affected my experiences. Without community support, local general stores are often a losing proposition.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Views From The Foothills Of The Greens: When you're happily hightailing through hill and dale of the Green Mountain foothills on gravel roads, you just don't want to stop very often to take pictures. We did a couple of times, though. Once we were a llittle higher up.

[​IMG]

Just stopping to briefly enjoy the view with the help of the zoom lens. That was a really nice looking barn (we like barns and carriage houses).

[​IMG]

And sometimes down in the river/creek valley, where all you can see is more trees.

[​IMG]

Personally, I thought we displayed remarkable discipline managing to stop twice in 50 some miles. Judging from the bridge railing, someone else stopped here.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Nice Covered Bridge: R2 and I had just gotten off the gravel and started heading towards Brattleboro, VT when we encountered this covered bridge on Dover Road.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.942913, -72.686807, this bridge was built in 1870, rehabilitated in 1950 and well maintained since. As is common, the covered bridge has a Town lattice through truss design

[​IMG]

Traffic and road conditions were such that we had to park the bikes down the road a bit so no pose was possible.

[​IMG]

After photographing the bridge, hydrating and stretching, we mounted up and headed towards Brattleboro, VT for a cheese stop.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, Shaggie and 6 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Sightings: Seen at the Rochelle diamond last month, this is one of the last pics from that adventure.

[​IMG]

There may be one more.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some River Color: Below is a road leading down to a local river tributary and wetlands.

[​IMG]

Not far off a main road, this river area is a nice place to relax and view wildlife. Bring binoculars, though.

[​IMG]

Pictures were taken late in the afternoon. They may be iphone pics as I was using it and the RX10.
    NxtGoRnd, black 8, KMichael and 7 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Classic With Carriage House: Below is one of the best maintained 1800s homes with carriage house that I've seen this year. It is located in Gilsum, NH, at coordinates 43.048079, -72.263059. It is just across the street from the village store, which will be the subject of another post.

[​IMG]

The small town is the home of the Gilsum STEAM Academy. (STEAM = Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math)
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Not-So-Well Maintained Classic House: In contrast to the previous post, below is an old farmstead on the banks of the CT River that hasn't fared well over the years.

[​IMG]

It is hard to get an overall view of the place given the trees and shrubs but the house doesn't appear to have been lived in for some time. You get a flavor of the place from the back.

[​IMG]

The property wasn't posted so I rode through but did not go inside. Actually going into these places is probably a bad idea, which is only slightly ameliorated if you're accompanied and carrying. I kept the motor running the one time I was off the bike taking the top picture. Crackheads and other miscreants have made exploring such places much less safe these days.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Old Church: Encountered this well-maintained, seeming old church on the backroads up to Saxton's River VT. It is located at coordinates 43.063890, -72.541193.

[​IMG]

I haven't been able to find any information on when it was built but am guessing early 1800s.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Most Distinguished and Discerning Group: With the wife wanting to go up north today, we had to take the cage (she can no longer ride). As often happens, we zipped across NH and over into VT for lunch in Grafton at the village store. No sooner had we ordered than this group of discerning and distinguished riders pulled up across the street. The women in the store said they were a handsome bunch but I wouldn't go that far. I went out, introduced myself and asked if I could take their picture for for posting advrider.com. They graciously agreed. The result is below.

[​IMG]

If any member of that group wants a RAW or larger copy, just send a PM.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Steamtown's Big Boy Goes To Cosmetologist: I read in a Trains article that Steamtown's ratty looking Big Boy has been moved into the roundhouse for cosmetic restoration. The last time I was through there, it looked like this:

[​IMG]

A restoration is long overdue. That beauty should not be out in the weather. Fix it up and keep it in the roundhouse.
  13. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    KMichael likes this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    This was a sad thing on so many levels. First is the loss of life for people on that plane. Second was the loss of a valuable piece of our living history. Third may be the loss of having historical aircraft fly due to insurance costs, fear of lawsuit, extreme preservationism, etc. I do not understand this crash as the plane should have been able to capably go around and land with the loss of one engine. There must have been more involved.

Below is a pic of the plane I took back in 2015.

[​IMG]
    NxtGoRnd and guywithchickens like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The General Store Chronicles - Gilsum, NH, Village Store: This general store (ca. 1881 and earlier) is located at corner of High Street and Main Street in Gilsum, NH, at coordinates 43.048054, -72.263650.

[​IMG]

As these small town/village stores go, this one is another gem and is a good place to stop for food, drink or basic supplies. The place is very clean, well-stocked and the service is helpful and friendly. Being affiliated with other area stores also gives the Gilsum store additional purchasing power over other country stores.

[​IMG]

This store is another of our favorites and one we recommend.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  16. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Since when is six kit kat candy bars a "small" purchase?
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  17. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Lol. Stopped abruptly I expect. This was a great stretch of road.
    popscycle likes this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The View On The Bridge: That would be the Adamsville Road bridge at coordinates 42.658217, -72.714988. I was taking the back roads out to the Hoosac Mtns.

[​IMG]

The picture was taken sometime between 10 and 11 AM on Sep. 29.
    NxtGoRnd, The Opa, bluestar and 5 others like this.
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Great pics.
    popscycle likes this.
  20. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
    popscycle likes this.