Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    slimy likes this.
  2. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    A little elbow-grease should knock that rust right off.
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems every time we end up in Grafton, VT, we encounter interesting people and events that are the catalyst for some good things, including pictures. Based on a chat in the village store, look what we found in what used to be Larry's sandwich shop.

[​IMG]

Larry and the sandwiches are gone but the smoked chili cheddar is very tasty and pairs exceptionally well with an ice cold Yuengling Lager. The smoked garlic isn't bad either.

Edit Update Note: Grafton VT is the original home of Grafton Cheese, not the big place in north Brattleboro on Rt.30.
    KMichael, bluestar, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  4. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I rode to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Highly recommended if you like old machines and the riding to get there is excellent. They actually fly these 100+ year old airplanes. They also put on a cute show involving the planes.

https://oldrhinebeck.org/

My buddy took the $100 ride in the biplane flying through the center of this picture:

IMG_1202.jpg
    KMichael, Shaggie, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old Rhinebeck has been on my to-do list for decades but seems to always get pushed aside or forgotten. Many thanks for the reminder and taking the time to share this with us.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding - An Old Rural School: While rooting around in the backroads of VT, I came across two old rural school buildings in reasonably good shape. A sign on the first building said "Maple Grove School." Unable to find anything online about this school, it is probable that the local historical society, if any, would be the only source of information.

[​IMG]

I noticed the old, VW T2 (1967 - 1979) bus parked in between the two buildings behind the overgrown basketball post. Judging from the vegetation, both have been unused for a while. Below is what I saw standing in the middle of the road looking south - a really nice gravel road that was sweet but too short.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 3 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata - Leftover Mill Town Pics: Taken last month in Harrisville, NH.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    KMichael, bluestar, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  8. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi John

Thought I’d share a bit of New Zealand train action for you.

My sister travelled by train down from the top of the South Island for the weekend.

https://www.greatjourneysofnz.co.nz...MIkKqEs9CJ5QIViR0rCh3bVQJvEAAYASABEgKs__D_BwE

This trip is exceptional (especially with good weather, which was the case both Southbound and Northbound), and includes riding through the extensive rebuild after the Kaikoura earthquake.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Kaikoura_earthquake

Anyhoo, Sis went back north this morning and I thought I’d take a couple of pics for you.

Not sure if these are much different from NA units or not

E8DB82C9-03A8-4E8C-8FDC-B2E8C53D9323.jpeg B4CCD102-0735-4938-B93F-05C8712CBC0C.jpeg 846BAB36-9887-4557-811F-26DB32334FEA.jpeg 1B3B695A-80C6-48CE-B06E-DCBFAF2613E9.jpeg
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Great pics, Shane! Thanks! You know I had to look this locomotive up. I learned the DXR 8007 is an upgraded version of the of an earlier DX series built by GE in Erie PA in the 1970s. That said, the entire train is a whole lot cleaner in your pic than most you'd see in the U.S. Here in the U.S., GE is also recycling older locomotives they manufactured for use here with upgrades and then selling/leasing them to 2nd tier and/or short line railroads. This is especially true of the refurbished, but not beautified, GE Dash-8 series, shown below.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, Shaggie, zookster and 2 others like this.
  10. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So glad that something is finally being done with it. It doesn't take very long on google to find pictures of how good it used to look, albeit only skin deep I'm sure.
    popscycle likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Wrapple Run: With apples in season, we made another "wrapple" run yesterday to the Williamsburg General Store, previously mentioned in one of last month's General Store Chronicles.

[​IMG]

Wrapples are those things in the upper right hand corner of the (iPhone) pic above. This time, however, all traces of discipline and self control were lost and we also bough other tasty pastries, including the cinnamon raisin buns shown above. I am please to report that it was all good but the wrapple is still my favorite.

[​IMG]

Above is another pic of the store, taken last month. The store itself is like an old 1930s dime store (i.e., 5 & 10 cent store) with baked goods, coffee and ice cream.I think we mentioned that the lady baker only makes wrapples when she can get a certain type of apple from a particular orchard. It is difficult to describe how tasty these things are with cinnamon, apples, confectioners frosting and a hint of lemon zest (the secret ingredient ?). They taste especially good on a fall day.
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 3 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The General Store Chronicles - Petersham Country Store: This general store (ca. 1840) is located on the common at corner of Main Street (Rt. 32) and East Street in Petersham, MA, at coordinates 42.488727, -72.185942.

[​IMG]

We regularly pass by this store going east/west as nearby Rt 62 is a smooth, twisty road all the way to Daniel Shays Highway. We regularly stop here to warm up at the stove in the winter and get cold drinks or food in other seasons. Also, it's one of the few places where we can buy our favorite peach ice tea.

[​IMG]

The Petersham store is another quintessential country store, with wood floors and tin ceiling. It offers grocery and sundry items, fresh produce in season, a luncheonette and gifts. Also, there are tables in the back of the store for folks to sit and eat. The stove back there is especially welcomed on cold days. I remember us having our boots off and warming the feet at the stove when we ran out of those insole chemical heat pads.

[​IMG]

Bottom line: This store is at the top of our stop list.
    KMichael, bluestar, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  13. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    There is a story about it's ratty appearance.
    A fellow in my area is one of the volunteers at Steamtown.
    He told me that some years ago, they contracted with someone to repaint
    the Big Boy. In short, they did a quick and sloppy job, then took the money
    and ran. The paint started peeling off shortly thereafter.
    Hopefully, this time it will get the proper paint job that it deserves.
    KMichael, popscycle and CamoColton like this.
  14. Shaggie

Oddometer:

Very cool John thanks for the reply

I expect you found this link : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_DX_class_locomotive

Cheers

Shane
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  15. Shaggie

Oddometer:

I’ll add it to my list !! :D

S
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A New Covered Bridge: Sometimes you miss a bridge or two and I've gone by this one many times and missed it. It is also possible I had forgotten it was there ( with eyes on the road, it was out of sight, out of mind). Anyway, this is a relatively new, old covered bridge.

[​IMG]

The bridge was built in 1967 by the Grafton Village Cheese company and is located on their grounds in Grafton, VT, at coordinates 43.166290, -72.613136. It spans a branch of Saxtons River.

[​IMG]

The bridge was constructed using a kingpost through truss design. It is open to pedestrians only.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, black 8, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some CP Power Seen In The Yard: In a quick pass thru the yard on Sep. 29, I found this trio (two CP and one NS) idling out in the yard. I had to use the zoom to get these pics. The same three were reported to be in Binghamton, NY, a week or so earlier, which says they got here through the Hoosac Tunnel.

[​IMG]

I stopped on the bridge to take pic below.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, Shaggie, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Bike @ A Bridge: Below is the latest pic taken while going through Monroe Bridge, coordinates 42.722201, -72.938565. Taken on Sep. 29, there was a little tree color.

[​IMG]

Heading south out of VT, Monroe Bridge is on the route to the Hoosac Tunnel, which is a good starting point for chasing trains between there and the Deerfield RR yard. As is often the case, we didn't see any; however, the primary object was riding in VT. Catching some train would just be icing on the otherwise, tasty ride cake.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    From Being @ The Bridge To Tunnel: In the previous post, I mentioned that Monroe Bridge is a town I regularly pass through on my way down out of the Green Mountains, usually by way of Readsboro, VT. The roads, which are a bit bumpy in spots, do make for enjoyable riding.

[​IMG]

River road takes you right past the Hoosac Tunnel, which is always a good place to stop, stretch, water up (or down) and make a quick check of the tunnel to see if anything is coming through (i.e., check for lights and/or air movement as trains in a tunnel, coupled with exhaust fans move the air).

[​IMG]

I have only managed to catch trains in the tunnel twice when riding by. On this day, as is usual, nothing was stirring. so I headed on down River Road.

[​IMG]

The scenery is good the the cars few. The only vehicles one generally encounters are those carrying floaters and their tubes and kayaks.

These pics were taken about two weeks early for good fall color. I'd hoped to get back there this week but the weather's been crappy so far.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Low Afternoon Sun & Lake Color: Pic below was taken up in Stoddard, NH, weekend last.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, Shaggie, B10Dave and 9 others like this.