Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're very happy to hear you're finding these posts useful. Thank you for letting us know. The old bones needs encouragement some days. :D
    Shaggie and ItsNotTooLate like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Classic Meetinghouse: Shown below is the 1796 meeting house and church on the common in Rindge, NH at coordinates 42.750121, -72.009574.

[​IMG]

Known as the town's 2nd meeting house, it replaced the first with stood on approximately the same spot. The sign below explains.

[​IMG]
  3. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    I bet that store smelled awesome!
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I thought it did, but then there's still a bit of the country boy left in me. If you like the the smell of autumn leaves in cool, crisp air mingled with the smells of old barnwood, hay, apples, pumpkins and more; then this is perfume for your soul and probably an olfactory trigger for a lot of childhood memories.

[​IMG]
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mystery Mill: Having a penchant for old structures, I like to know some of their history. The latest structure to pique my interest was this old mill, shown below from across the river, sitting on Saxtons River at coordinates 43.137609, -72.510079.

[​IMG]

I am thinking this was either a sawmill or grist mill but have no data as yet.

[​IMG]

Some online references suggest it was either Tenney's Lumber Mill or the Thompson Gristmill, both of which were on Westminster Street, which the street above. The view from the front of the building is below.

[​IMG]

A call to the local historical society seems in order, hopefully to connect up with someone who know.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Bridge Not Far: I was riding around in middle NH and had stopped at the Gilsum Store for a sandwich. Shown below, that store was featured in one of our previous General Store Chronicles.

[​IMG]

In chatting with some of the locals, I learned there was a classic, 1800s, stone arch bridge just up the road. Well, that bit of information caused me to change course and go take a look. Sure enough, there was a dry-laid, stone arch bridge of considerable vault spanning the Ashuelot River gorge. It is located at coordinates 43.039019, -72.270217.

[​IMG]

There was considerable traffic on that little bridge, so I parked the bike up near this sign instead of posing it. Some later research suggested the bridge handles some 2,000 to 3,000 cars a day. I did walk down the bank far enough to get the partial picture of the bridge shown above; however, riding takes precedence over climbing down into some gorge.

[​IMG]

Being a fan of roads that follow rivers, I just had to follow the Ashuelot down river.

[​IMG]

It was a very good day.
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    That's a nice shot John, usually I don't like trees or shrubs obscuring the subject... but the overgrowth adds to the scene...
    B10Dave, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color Along Saxtons River: Below are three pics taken during a ride from Bellows Falls to Grafton, VT, along Saxton's River.

[​IMG]

They were taken about a week and a half ago.

[​IMG]

It is now past peak color up there.

[​IMG]

When we got to Grafton, VT, we did what we always do - stop for a bite.

[​IMG]

Note: The iPhone pic above was taken on another run that went thru Grafton 4 days later. It is a regular stop when traveling up and down VT. As always, we've no affiliation.
  9. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Great post.
    popscycle likes this.
  10. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    This pic should be on the cover of an upcoming edition of BMW ON. Awesome.
    Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  11. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree!!
    popscycle likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix Du Jour: Seen in the yard several weeks ago. Missing were the two NS units that seem to run through the tunnel between Albany and the Deerfield yard.

[​IMG]

With a ton of fall pics to go through, am slow with the train pics.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some Local Color: Some more autumn color pics., taken late last month on the Petersham, MA, common.

[​IMG]

Below are the same foreground trees, taken several days later from a different angle.

[​IMG]
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Why I really Like My Zoom Lens: Aside from being able to ride, I am fortunate and grateful to have a good camera to capture pictures along the way. Up until I got the longer-zoom (600 mm on RX10 m4), I missed being able to get into places I couldn't or shouldn't go. Being somewhat of a rail fan, such places are inner railroad yards, where neither you nor your drone (I don't have one YET) are allowed. Not wishing to be totally thrown off the property, I am happy to be able to ride up to or onto the periphery and let the camera lens walk me in for details.

[​IMG]

The camera's zoom also lets me get up close to see details of things I really don't want to be close to, such as high places that give me vertigo.

[​IMG]

I did, though, finally get control of my vertigo enough to go out on that trestle. In the future, however, the lens will help mitigate such issues in other ADVentures.

EDIT NOTE: Not being much of a camera buff, I do not like carrying along a bag full of camera crap (e.g., other lenses, filters, etc.). The only extra photo baggage I carry are a few lens cleaning wipes and extra battery. Having it fit in the tank bag for a quick grab without fumbling around with stuff is key.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Wanted Gravel, Got Bridge: I had planned to ride Kidder Hill road out of Grafton VT to Cambridgeport but had no sooner gotten out of town when the dreaded "Closed, No Through Road" sign made its appearance.

[​IMG]

That was the bad news. The good news was that just up the road a few yards was a covered bridge I'd never seen.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 43.169157, -72.605451, the bridge was built in 1870 and has undoubtedly been repaired over the years. The deck is comparatively narrow, as suggested by the many scratches and gouges in the side wall of the bridge.

[​IMG]

The "don't be stupid" part of my brain said to ride on the decking rather than the untested middle cross planks, so I did. Then I turned around and rode back. I found gravel elsewhere.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color On The Mountain: Autumn colors higher up were not as brilliant this year as others. Regardless below are few pics taken while riding up Mt. Wachusett several days ago. The first was taken about half way down one of the ski runs.

[​IMG]

Zooming down this particular ski run, the colors are muted.

[​IMG]

The view closer to the top.

[​IMG]

We had to ride elsewhere for more color.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color On The Beaver Pond: Picture below taken on the old Goodnow Farm (ca. 1790) at coordinates 42.455943, -71.903426.

[​IMG]

The pond had a sizeable beaver lodge.
  19. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    Now how the heck did you ride up that ski lift when you won't walk out on a bridge???
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I took the road up and used the lens to zoom down but would have no qualms about riding up the trail if (a) I had access to a smaller bike and (b) the park police would let me. I don't get vertigo on or next to a slope like that and, strangely enough, not even when in a seat in an open-air ultralight. Trestles, balconies and fire escapes are another matter.

[​IMG]

There's no vertigo-inducing places here.