Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Really Sweet Road: The picture speaks for itself.

[​IMG]

It took every bit of willpower I had to stop and take this pic.
  2. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    And a beautiful pic worthy of a stop it is too. :thumb

S
    popscycle likes this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    About That Rebellion: One of the major events in the early history of this country was Shay's Rebellion, where an over-taxed farmer and unpaid ex-revolutionary war soldier led a rebellion against government. As a kid in HS history class, your mind's more on girls, sports and cars than some historical artifact, but 60 years and tons of perspective later that changes. I had ridden by this place hundreds of times and never given it a second glance. This one day last month; however, the door was open and I stopped.

[​IMG]

The historical marker caught my attention.

[​IMG]

It should be noted that the soldiers under General Lincoln were financed by (MA) governor Bowdoin's business associates. Bowdoin imposed taxes higher than the British, so that his business associates could get a good rate of return. Unable to pay off debts and taxes, poor farmers like Daniel Shays were arrested and their farms foreclosed and sold. Thus the rebellion, which was an event that influenced the formation of the U.S. Constitution. The adjacent building, which is now the town's historical society, held a good number of historically interesting objects, the largest of which was an old stagecoach.

[​IMG]

Tool buffs, especially machinists, may recognize Athol, as funny as the name might be to others, as the home of Starrett tools. The building and historical marker are located at coordinates 42.489433, -72.185919.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scenes While Riding: Three autumn pics taken on VT 121.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Das Pferd: I don't encounter many horses giving me the eye but this one did. I had stopped to stretch and this one came running out of a nearby barn hollering at me and then stood still giving me the stink eye. I think he or she wanted me gone.

[​IMG]

The animal reminded me of a doppelganger animal in Germany many years ago, so the words "Das Pferd", which is German for "that horse" came to mind. So I took a quick pic and made myself gone.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On Holden Pond: Picture was taken early morning at an old mill pond in Holden.

[​IMG]

Am behind converting and posting pics and trying to catch up between other work.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; weather here today was great, sunny and high 60's so I went for a 200 mile jaunt. My main purpose was to go to Elora Ont. where a fellow member of our vintage motorcycle group was having a two day sale to reduce the clutter in his shop so he can work on his pre unit Triumph this winter. I stopped for a couple of pictures north of Tavistock. First one captures the woodlot in full colour. Too bad they had just spread fresh manure on the alfalfa field. I walked about 150 feet further behind my bike and caught the same woodlot from an entirely different perspective.
    oct20 002.jpg

oct20 004.jpg

A little further up the road I stopped to get this shot of a well tended small rural cemetery.

oct20 005.jpg

From there I continued to the hamlet of West Montrose where the only covered bridge left in Ontario is located.At 205 feet in length it is still impressive. Last time I was there the bridge was open to car traffic but now it is closed to all but foot and bicycle traffic.

oct20 009.jpg

From there it was on to Elora which is located on the Grand river and once had many water powered mills. The Elora Mill is now a spa and hotel complex which also hosts weddings in an indoor chapel and an outdoor one. Pictured is the mill and weir across the river and the start of the Elora Gorge. Upstream they are just finishing the complete deck restoration on the stone bridge which will soon reopen to pedestrian and bicycle traffic.

oct20 023.jpg

oct20 021.jpg

Here is a closer pic of the start of the gorge and then one from a bridge further downstream.

oct20 024.jpg

oct20 027.jpg
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Elora I took small paved roads west and south to eventually end up in Stratford at the station and rail yard. There were two power units sitting there, a Goderich & Exeter unit and a leased Railink unit. There was quite an assortment of rolling stock in the yard as well. The station and freight shed date from 1913 and on the inside is this plaque which may be of interest to you American history buffs.

oct20 040.jpg

oct20 039.jpg

oct20 041.jpg

oct20 036.jpg

oct20 037.jpg
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Trains, mills, railroad stations, rivers, covered bridges all in one ride - does it get much better?. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    B10Dave, Shaggie and jeickerman like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Road Shots Of Late: Below are some roads of late that made us smile. The first of these was a shortcut. We like shortcuts through the woods, especially those where you can hall ass to make time.

[​IMG]

The road below ends up behind an old abandoned mill. Although laden with some serious potholes, it's a short, but fun, ride on an old railroad spur bed.

[​IMG]

Below is another high-speed shortcut.

[​IMG]

These are "camera out of the tank bag and don't get off" shots where you don't want to spoil the natural beauty of the road with motorcycle parts.

[​IMG]
  11. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    purty
    black 8 and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Annual Old Sawmill Pic: Below is this year's picture of the old (ca. 1750) Slarrow sawmill. It is nice to see someone's making an effort to maintain it.

[​IMG]

The mill is located at coordinates 42.507780, -72.492623.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old Pumphouse Still Stands: The old pumphouse that was part of a 1700s farmstead and provided water for a number of residences in the area. You can barely see it in the picture below and not at all in the summer with all the dense foliage.

[​IMG]

This is what it looked like back in 4/2017.

[​IMG]

Below is a darker, gloomier view.

[​IMG]
  14. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Definitely a NE postcard view.
    klaviator, popscycle and jeickerman like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color On The Hard Road: Back when I was a teenager bopping around the countryside on two wheels, our vocabulary had two classes of roads - the "hard road" and all the other unpaved roads, be they dirt, gravel, sand or some combo thereof. The term came from our grandparents, who drove back in the early 1900s, when most roads were unpaved. To them, a hard or paved road was like nirvana for the old Model T. The term "hard road" then became part of our parents vocabulary and generally meant any paved road outside of town. It was generally spoken with the admonishment, "Be careful on that thing and stay off the hard road." When riding the "hard road",I generally pull off to get fall color pictures. Several of these follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color On The River: Picture showing the state of fall foliage along the Connecticut River was taken several days ago. Colors were muted.

[​IMG]

Taken on the bridge at coordinates 42.467254, -72.583479.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Mill Mystery: It's no secret that I like to mill around (i.e., ride around and/or into old mills). I doing so recently, I encountered this multi-sided structure in the mill's 'courtyard'.

[​IMG]

What in the world is this thing? A guard house, privy, storage shed or something else? This inquiring mind wanted to know. The long boards nailed into the structure below the roof line suggest it may have been lifted or carried off something else. Below is the view of the back side.

[​IMG]

Well, it's off into the bowels of the internet to see what we can find. If anyone else has an ideal, please let us know. BTW, this was not a grist mill, as the stone grinding wheel above might suggest.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Foliage On A Berkshires Pond: Riding by a favorite rest/stretch/lunch spot, it looked like a good picture opportunity, so I stopped yet again.

[​IMG]

Colorful trees, a pond and a gazebo - the perfect place to stop and think good thoughts.

[​IMG]

Places that visually shout at you to stop are few and far between and ones that can hold you there for a bit are even more rare. This one said "Let's sit a spell."

[​IMG]

As previously reported, the spot is located at coordinates 42.694417, -72.898627.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Perfect Pork Chop: Food is important, especially at the end of a 200-plus mile ride and tonight's food was a treat and a learning experience. My learning began on the road this afternoon. While chatting with some locals, I was informed of a place that had the best pork chops anywhere. That being quite the claim, I mentioned that I don't like pork chops - they're dry and not that tasty. I was told I'd like these - they are smoked pork chops cut to order and would be very moist if cooked right. They told me where to get and how too cook these chops, so I stopped by the place on the way home.

[​IMG]

The place in question is Pekarski's Sausage at coordinates 42.501141, -72.643729. Going in, I found the place to be clean, neat and not cluttered with anything not pork related. They custom cut three beautiful, smoked chops to order. Cost was $10.

[​IMG]

The shop keepers confirmed what the locals told me - don't bake, just quickly sear on both sides in a hot pan using olive oil just long enough to heat them up . Actually, you could eat them as is and I am sure Kevin wouldn't hesitate to slap a cold one in a bun (sans bone) with some horseradish mustard and chow down. In any event, I cooked them up this evening and they were very moist and tasty with a bit of a hickory smoked ham flavor. NOTE: I have no interest in or affiliation with Pekarski's Sausage. I do have interest in their pork chops and will be back again soon for more.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Chevy By The Levee: Yes indeed. Pic taken yesterday as I was tooling (i.e., tooling = 1950s slang for riding/cruising) along Falls Road, next the the CT River.

[​IMG]

Well, it looks like an old 1946 Chevy truck, but I could be wrong.