Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fall Farm Scene: Taken earlier this month when riding by.

[​IMG]
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Caveat Equitor: Just an FYI to be careful riding across the bridge shown below. This would be the Tunnel Road Bridge at coordinates 42.666452, -72.986460.

[​IMG]

I walked out onto the bridge to get the above pic and found some of the planks were getting a little dodgy (i.e., found a couple that were weak, spongey, loose, etc.) Having ridden across this a lot in the past, I would now advise folks in the future to walk it before taking riding the bike across to make sure the planks are safe. As you know, you're safest staying on a line with the support beams
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Covered Bridge Color: This is a marvelous time of year to photograph old covered bridge. The particular bridge below, located at coordinates 42.310149, -72.212097, was the scene of more than a few photogs and artists trying to capture the scene and color.

[​IMG]

I took the liberty of using photoshop to remove the people and cars from these two pics.

[​IMG]

More color to follow.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Lunch At Fiddleheads: Earlier this month, we were up in NH and stopped at Fiddleheads Cafe for lunch as we said we would in the General Store Chronicles for the Hancock Market.

[​IMG]

The cafe, which is located at coordinates 42.972823, -71.982318, was clean and neat with flowers on the table. You order and pick up from a counter and then pick a seat in one of two inside areas or outside on the porch. I selected a cup of clam chowder and a reuben sandwich from their rather extensive sandwich menu.

[​IMG]

The soup and sandwich were both good but not great. Were I in the neighborhood around lunch and hungry, I'd go here in a minute but otherwise not go out of my way. I could see spending some time next summer sitting on the porch with coffee to watching the world go by. To cap off this visit, I walked out in the middle of the street in front of the cafe and took the picture below, which is a nice place for things to go by.

[​IMG]

After standing in the middle of the street for a bit, you might get the idea that not much goes by. This, like the store next door, is a place where locals go to meet and chat with each other.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Old Stone Church: Several more pictures of the old stone church at coordinates 42.375041, -71.782843.

[​IMG]

Like covered bridges, this relic also attracts a lot of photographers and artists in the fall.

[​IMG]
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Back Roads And Peaceful Ponds: We are especially fond of riding seldom-traveled, gravel, back roads that have wetlands and beaver ponds. Below are several recent pics of such.

[​IMG]

These are the places that can make one smile.

[​IMG]

Years from now when I can no longer ride, these pictures will make me smile.

[​IMG]
    slimy, The Opa, black 8 and 7 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: We interrupt this fall foliage festival to bring a much_needed train fix.

[​IMG]

Let's see here, do I want to hang around an hour or two to catch something moving or just get a quick pic of what's here and ride on? Dumb question!
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color On The Farm: On our quest to capture the best fall color, we trekked to the old Goodnow Farm (ca. 1700s) and took several pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    :thumb... exact same reason for me...
    B10Dave, popscycle and klaviator like this.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Until then, these pictures make me smile. You do a great job of capturing the beauty of the area. New England has so many beautiful scenes. I lived in Maine for four years but wasn't much of a photographer back then. I regret all the great scenes that I know I experienced but are now lost from my memory.

Maybe I'll make it back some day so I can capture some of those scenes. Until then I am enjoying New England through your fantastic pictures:thumb:thumb:thumb
    B10Dave, st2sam, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    +1 ^^^^^

We were too busy workin' back then Win... if I had a nickel for every time I said that (taking more photos) during the past 30 year career and 17 moves, I'd have a hundred or so dollars...
    slimy, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That wasn't not a good excuse for me. I did get out and ride.....a lot. The problem was that my idea of photography was using a camera that cost around 15 bucks and just pointing and shooting. I knew nothing about photography and on top of that using film and having to get it developed just made photography too much of a PITA for me to really get into it. Even today when I take thousands of pics a year I haven't really learned as much about photography as many on this forum such as you or @popscycle .

I just went back and reviewed the Pics I took in Maine in my You only Live Twice thread. I wish I could go back and retake those pics with the cameras and knowledge I have today. And of course I would have taken way more pics then I did.

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to our regular programming.....
    B10Dave, black 8 and popscycle like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happy to hear you're enjoying the scenes and we hope that (1) you make it back to Maine, (2) you get to ride a lot and take many pictures and (3) you post them in your most-excellent thread!
    B10Dave, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  14. gfountain

gfountain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 1975 I walked through the Hosack tunnel within my friend Wes. We had just graduated from nearby STCC and were taking jobs that required moving. Him to Denver and me to Houston. Wes’ father worked for the railroads and both were big railroad enthusiasts.Their basement was one huge model train layout. Wes always wanted to walk the tunnel - sort of a bucket list thing for the railroad crowd - and didn’t think he would get a chance after moving. I agreed to tag along so we spent a good part of a day in the dark. We went in the East portal, walked through to the West portal and then turned around and headed back through to return to our car. No ghosts experienced and thankfully no trains. There are small cavities hollowed out along the inside of the tunnel at regular intervals so you can let a train safely pass but I am glad we didn’t have to use them.
    B10Dave, jeickerman and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The thought of riding through the tunnel has crossed a few minds over the years but summarily dismissed as potentially being good for neither bike nor body. About a week ago, I did ride by the tunnel, stop and walk the rails from the east portal to across the bridge taking pictures. Posted below, I hope they give you pleasant memories of your fine adventure.

[​IMG]

I did walk up to the entrance to look (you can see a light once a train or maintenance vehicle passes the halfway point), listen or feel the air moving (due to train or exhaust fans). Other than some fog, there was nothing moving so down the tracks we walked to the bridge.

[​IMG]

Sometimes trains park just beyond the bridge waiting for tunnel clearance. Nothing there.

[​IMG]

Looking back towards the tunnel, you can see a truck on the left where several rail fans were spending the afternoon in lawn chairs, drinking beer and waiting (i.e., hoping) to see a train enter or leave the tunnel.

[​IMG]
  16. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a little late on this, but my excuse is I've been reveling in your beautiful Fall foliage shots! So....Grafton, VT. During the middle of the 1700's there was a big struggle between NY and NH over who owned what we now know as Vermont. The NH governor interpreted a British ruling setting the dividing line between Massachusetts and New Hampshire as extending westward almost to the Hudson, which led him to conclude that the lands west of NH proper also belonged to NH. He promptly set about selling blocks of land there to settlers. New York objected, noting that the grant to James, Duke of York, defined New-York as extending from the western border of NH to Delaware Bay. Whlle the two colonial governments argued, they both issued patents (sometimes conflicting and overlapping boundary-wise) to land in (now) VT. Eventually the crown decided the issue in favor of NY and the NY government refused to recognize NH's grants, demanding that settlers already in place under those grants pay for them all over again....this time to NY! This did not go over well with the settlers. NY installed its own magistrates in these new counties. A fellow named Ethan Allen caused them a lot of grief by opposing the NY policies. With the start of the Revolution, NY focused its attention elsewhere, and the Republic of Vermont was founded. The British tried to recruit the Republic as an ally or at least a neutral during the Rev War....but that's another story! Love your reports!!
    slimy, Shaggie, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you, @Blader54, for a very concise history of how VT came into being. Also, we're happy to hear you're enjoying the foliage shots. To that end and with reference to Grafton, VT, here's another shot of Grafton's Main street taken earlier this month.

[​IMG]

Whenever riding through here, I always stop and wonder what this bucolic town was like back in the late 1700s and beyond (i.e., after 1791). Also, thanks for sending back into the history notes on this town.
  18. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the train pics more lately. Looking to get back into model trains in time to put something around the tree before moving it to a board, and your pics are helping keep me interested.
    jeickerman and popscycle like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happy to hear you like the train pics. Personally, I have been thinking that if I want to see trains moving, it'll have to be on a model train layout. Every time I stop by the yard, all the power seems to be loafing with only a couple keeping warm.

[​IMG]

Ever since I was a wee lad, it's been a battle between model trains, scoots, workshop tools and other pastimes for hobby resources. Back in grade school, I sold my beloved train set for the freedom of two motorized wheels and, despite a brief resurgence after we bought our first home, model trains have sucked hind teat. Over the years, though, the mind has never given up designing a model layout - a large, dual track oval with a host of different industrial/mill sidings and a big switch yard in the middle, complete with roundhouse and turntable, where you could find about two dozen consists with a variety of power units. The yard would be set off from the mainline oval and have auxiliaries coming in from both sides of the oval. It is but a dream, but you you never know.
    zookster, B10Dave, jeickerman and 4 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since you brought up the subject of model trains, I went to a place that would interest you a couple of years ago. This was in Helen, Ga.

From the outside this building provides no clue on what is inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a train running around the tracks but I didn't get any good pics of it.

Since this a motorcycle forum, some motorcycle content:

[​IMG]