Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Central NY is pretty bland for train action. So much so that CSX wants to sell off most of the short lines, and has succeed in selling the Massena line from north of Syracuse to Valley Field, Quebec to CN Rail. Which really isn't short at all, but clearly they want out of this decaying area.

For models, definitely want an "O" gauge set up. Had some "HO" and "N" gauge when I was a kid, but always pined for the bigger 3-rail stuff. Once Christmas is done, it will likely be a 4x8' layout. Kinda small for "O" but certainly do-able for someone that only wants to dabble in it.
    popscycle likes this.
  2. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (aka RPI) in Troy, NY has a model railroad society with a pretty large HO layout. About 35 x 120 feet, it includes scenes from downtown Troy to the Canadian border, set in 1950. I heard of it years ago but as far as I know it's seldom, if ever, open to the public. Here's a link I found to an Albany, NY blog that has a nice story about it...shows the layout...and has some shots of sections.
    http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2014/05/12/a-miniature-version-of-troy-and-its-past
    CamoColton and popscycle like this.
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I trust you know of the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg Germany

If, by some chance, you are ever riding around in Germany; this would make a good place to visit. Of all the times I've been in Germany, situations prevented me from visiting the display.
    zookster likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Water Color: Getting closer to the bottom of the fall color pics. These were taken this month at coordinates 42.702384, -72.891992.

[​IMG]

Looking out over the water:

[​IMG]

This is a go-to spot for lunch when carrying grub. The road's not too shabby either.
    GAS GUY, whiskeygut, dc_ok and 8 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Berkshires Barn: Below is the result of liking old barns and fall foliage.

[​IMG]

Picture was taken while sitting on motorcycle at or near coordinates 42.544083, -72.679383 using lens zoom.
    GAS GUY, whiskeygut, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Essence Of Adventure: I find great adventure in learning something new and interesting. Such was the case a week ago when riding by the old Allen foundry (ca. 1874) and noticed the door was open.

[​IMG]

The open door meant owner Jeff was around and something was afoot. I stopped, walked in, hollered to no avail, walked out and found him walking around the side the building. His response to my asking, "What's up" was to take me back inside and and tell me he has something quite rare - a Mack BCR (model B Converted to R). You can't see it in the picture below but it's just behind the green Mack on right and totally hemmed in by the old Mack hook and ladder on the left and other trucks out of sight on the far right. It was a bit hard to get to.

[​IMG]

The BCR model that you can't see (Jeff didn't want any pictures taken of it yet and there was no room to even get a decent pic) iis apparently quite rare. By all accounts that I could find, it appears to be one of the very few B to R conversions known to still exist. In the late 60s to early 70s, Mack offered a body conversion kit that allowed an owner or dealer to convert a model B to a model R. The conversion kit included a full (taller) cab, hood assembly, steering gear, mounting brackets and various related parts. In looking over the BCR, you could readily see the frame was in bad shape. Jeff said he was going to do a full frame up restoration, starting with a tandem axle frame in good condition that he recently found. Shown below, that frame was out in back of the foundry building.

[​IMG]

Back inside, Jeff had also acquired a dynamic fifth wheel and hydraulic winch that he plans to restore and install on the frame.

[​IMG]

With the foundry being just off one of our favorite routes west, we will be making every attempt to follow this restoration. I had another person tell me the BCR was the holy grail of old Mack trucks. Seeing and learning about all this while out riding is, for me, the very essence of adventure.
    st2sam, GAS GUY, whiskeygut and 10 others like this.
  7. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    John,

I'm so far behind on your thread. Amazing pictures and wonderful history. I just wanted to say thank you.

Eric
    popscycle and Shaggie like this.
  8. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah!! ^^^^^^ What he said!! ^^^^^^ :clap

S
    The Virginian and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Greatly appreciate your letting me know, so thank YOU very much!
    Shaggie likes this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Put Down That Mask And Step Away: With Halloween coming, my thoughts on this rainy day turned to masks, the photographic kind. Like their costume counterparts, photographic masks are used to alter what you see with visual layers that has some degree of more or less transparency (i.e., opacity). Some pros will tell you that a very high percentage of all good photographs have been edited using masks. By that criterion, my photos may not be that "good" as I seldom employ making tools. Whatever adjustments a photo needs are done more or less automatically by the camera, RAW converter and or post processor. The main reason for my avoidance of masking is the tedium that was involved in isolating certain elements of the picture (e.g., isolating a diesel engine in a rail yard from the rest of the image of the yard). To make this story short, I was messing with a 30 day trial of an AI masking tool and found it quite quick and easy to isolate more complex subjects without significant loss of detail. The result of my first, quick and dirty try is shown below.

[​IMG]

I thought the tunnel needed a power unit and the NS unit needed a horse. This is not the type of thing I'd normally do for any ADVrider photos but, if I do, it will say so.
    MadRider777, GAS GUY, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  11. dc_ok

dc_ok n00b

Oddometer:
    An interesting model train place is the Entertrainment junction in West Chester, Ohio if you are in the area.

I really enjoy your trips and pictures throughout the area and it causes a desire to visit but I think that I would need a lot of time to do so.

Dwight
    popscycle likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    What a great looking place for kids and adults. The model train layout looks like another "must see" stop for us and I put it into Basecamp for future travel reference. Also, it's only about 40 minutes away from the AF Museum in Dayton, which is another "must stop" for me. Thanks!!
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Mill Pic: Just another picture taken several weeks ago when I was milling around Shelburne Falls checking various restoration projects.

[​IMG]

Note: This picture was another learning and practice exercise where I removed a number of cars from the shot, leaving structures and grounds exactly as they were.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Down By The River: We were down along the CT River when these pics were taken.

[​IMG]

The farmland in the river valley is, like most river bottom land, very good for farming and was once a prime area for growing cigar wrapper tobacco leaf.

[​IMG]

The valley has a good number of old livestock and tobacco barns still standing.

[​IMG]
    GAS GUY, Shaggie, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On The Sawmill: Picture taken on the Sawmill River at or about coordinates 42.537831, -72.537518.

[​IMG]

I had stopped to see if there were any good foliage shots to be had but took the pic anyway while wondering if there were any trout (i.e., browns and brookies) in the pools below the small falls. Supposedly, there's also salmon.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Views From The Bridge: Among the last of this autumn's foliage pics are these taken from various bridges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, MadRider777, GAS GUY and 6 others like this.
  17. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics the last couple weeks, thank you. Fall is definitely the best time to ride in NE!

jeickerman and popscycle like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dam Addenda & Errata: Recent picture of the remains of an old mill, probably dating back to the 1700s judging by what remains of the foundation. The dam seems to have been maintained and modernized some, possibly for downstream irrigation.

[​IMG]
    The Opa, Shaggie, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When You Have To Get Off The Bike - Pose: Whenever I get off the bike to take pictures, which isn't all that often; I sometimes take a pic of the redhead if there's anything interesting in the background. Below are two such instances. The first took place around some barns, about which I know absolutely nothing.

[​IMG]

The second, shown below, was taken in front of the 1802 house of Col. Jos. Brown. This one's been well preserved and still has the original horse and carriage shed as part of the extension.

[​IMG]
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Don't Pose The Bike On A Busy Bridge: There are some bridges where its small size and traffic volume suggests you not show your bike at the bridge. Instead, just pull off the road, grab the camera out of the bag and get a shot of the bridge.

[​IMG]

This particular bridge, which isn't too far from the Pan Am railroad yard, used to be a great place for train watching; however, these days you might have to camp out all day to see one train.

[​IMG]

I read somewhere that RR freight volumes were down and given Pan Am's inability to move double-stack intermodal freight through the Hoosac Tunnel , it is no wonder it's difficult to see trains moving.