Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I See The Light: Today was a day of light. After what seemed like weeks of dreary crap weather, Halloween's rain and high winds were followed today by sunlight and only gusty winds. Furthermore, today was the day a longstanding lighting problem was remedied. Early this morning I pulled out two of the three bikes out of the dim man cave so the electrician would have room to work.

[​IMG]

In my younger days, I'd have done the wiring myself, as I had done with all three of our previous homes. Now, however, I am slower and time is more valuable so we called in the pros to put multiple LED strips in each of the two of the car bays and quadruples in the motorcycle bay. We used the same company that was the electrical sub contractor on the carriage house build as it was one of the only two that didn't have screw-ups or leave us with problems. The lone electrician, Rich, was in by 8:00 AM and out by 3:00

[​IMG]

When the original house was built, folks didn't think garages needed much light (i.e., a single 100 watt bulb) and florescent lights were not practical in cold weather. The advent of LED strips and code allowance of wire molding makes it quick and easy to add a lot of lights to your garage and man cave.
    black 8, zookster, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color Down: Well, it's official. Fall foliage color is down in our area. Recent high winds and rainstorms took the color out of the canopy and deposited it on the floor, leaving only the colorful leaves of shrubs and bushes.

[​IMG]

These two pics were taken in the back yard following the Halloween storm that came through here. It's an interesting contrast between the stark nature of the trees and the residual color on the forest floor.

[​IMG]

A few more weeks and this will all be black and white. The older you get the faster the seasons march by so don't wait around to capture them.
    black 8, zookster, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  3. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    Nice 'n' bright!...the way I like it!!
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Leaning Tower Of Shutesbury Church: I have ridden by this old church (ca. 1827) hundreds of times over the years and taken some number of pictures thereof. On my last trip by in October, however, something seemed different, so I pulled off the road, stared at the building for a bit and then took the following picture.

[​IMG]

Looking carefully at the building and later the picture above, the old church appears to have a structural issue. In short, the steeple tower is leaning, suggesting an issue with the truss structure, if any. Opinions welcomed.

I am in the process of trying to find earlier pics to see if this is a new issue. The old church is located at coordinates 42.452858, -72.409655.
    klaviator, zookster, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  5. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    klaviator, Shaggie, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    From The Loss Of A Child: It happened to pass this place in October when riding up into NH. I was about a mile past it when curiosity took control and I turned around, rode up and into the place and took this picture from the bike. There was some affair, probably a wedding, about to take occur and cars were pulling into the parking lot. The place is called Cathedral Of The Pines and is located at coordinates 42.774726, -71.988661. I later learned this plot of land was originally supposed to be a young man's home.

[​IMG]

In 1938, Sibyl and Douglas Sloane III purchased the 128 acres in Rindge, NH. They'd hoped their four children would build homes on the land. In 1938, a hurricane ripped through the area, tearing down trees in the area that their son Sandy had selected for his home. With the trees knocked down, the area of Sandy's future home had a magnificent panoramic view of Mt. Monadnock and surrounding area. Sandy never came back from WWII. His B17 was shot down over Germany in 1944. In 1945, the Sloanes had a memorial service for son Sandy at the clearing made by the tornado. That clearing evolved into the interfaith, open-air Cathedral of the Pines, complete with a tower built by Sloane in 1967. The tower has four bronze plaques designed by Normal Rockwell and built by Rockwell's son Peter. Sloane died on December 21, 1972. The loss of his child was the genesis for a place of beauty and peace for others.

It should be noted that Douglas Sloane III was a descendant of William Sloan, who founded W&J Sloane, a prominent and elite NYC rug and furniture store that existed from 1843 to 1985 at the corner of 19th and Broadway.
    klaviator, zookster, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Checking Out The Sand & Gravel: In checking out a favorite road after all the rains, all was well except for the occasional snot spot.

[​IMG]

Wet leaves aren't much of an issues on the flat sections but caution is warranted on the uphill/downhill and switchback sections.

[​IMG]

Absence of leaves makes advance critter spotting easier; however, this time of year your riding can scare up the critter hunters, who can be less than happy with your woodland adventures.
    black 8, klaviator, zookster and 4 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We do like bridges and water. Thank you @guywithchickens!
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Barn Images: Found some more barns with fall color that were taken while riding last month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    black 8, klaviator, zookster and 4 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Subtle Shift In Focus: In days of yore, a big part of riding was getting from point A to point B. Unless you were randomly meandering around, ome portion of your situational awareness was being on the lookout for road signs and other indicators of where you were and where you were going. With the advent of GPS and online route planning, less attention to road signs and markers is needed and more can be focused on interesting things that may lie between point A and point B. With all due allowances for awareness of traffic, road conditions, and other potential hazards (e.g., critters); there can be increased cognitive capacity for seeing things of interest and/or beauty. Below is one such example of a visual I would never have seen in the old days.

[​IMG]

There other nice aspect of GPS is that you can meander around between A and B and still get to B as your GPS unit adjusts to changes in direction in the absence of any road signs. Instead of worrying about the wrong turn you took and wondering how youll get back on track, you can just enjoy it.

[​IMG]
    Massabusa, black 8, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Fishing Lost To Riding: A good number of years back I was both fishing and riding. During those many years, I had two canoes (a small one-person and a two-person), one cruiser and a junk fishing car, trolling motor, battery and fishing gear that always included my trusty fly rod. Hauling all that stuff around got to be a chore and I eventually sold the canoes and their associated paraphernalia. When I moved from cruiser to the GS and got off onto back roads, I gave up fishing altogether. It was far easier and more fun to get going on the road than it was to get to and then onto the water. These days, I see folks fishing and it brings back good memories. When I saw this fellow, I though of my fly rod gathering dust in the basement.

[​IMG]

Whether wading or floating, when all else failed, I could always catch something on the fly rod and thus carried an assortment of flies and small poppers. I've no idea where all my fly-tying stuff went. It should be noted that in the summer months, waders in this river below would get run over by the hoards of tubers, rafters and kayakers.

[​IMG]

Wading was never as much fun as floating, which gave you the ability to cover more water in search of the elusive brown or battling smallmouth/bigmouth.

[​IMG]

You don't seem many canoes these days as floating preferences have shifted to inflatables and kayaks. Being more interested in fishing than rowing/paddling, I always had a trolling motor mounted to the backboard (flat-back canoe) or outboard (regular canoe). That said, this particular inflatable looked more practical (i.e, more stable, comfortable and easier to carry) than any of the many canoes I had over the years. I see they even come with an inflatable casting bar, which is something new (to me) .

[​IMG]

This was my kind of fishing, as opposed to the kind where people race back and forth across a body of water on some fancy bass boat with a souped-up outboard. In any event, the sight of them made me smile as I got back on the bike to ride.
    black 8, klaviator, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  12. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

More pics!!!! :y0!
    popscycle likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I don't know how I missed this, but I did. Great pics of a most interesting layout - one I'll have to investigate. Appreciate it! Thanks!!
    klaviator likes this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Little Color On The Sawmill: The last time I was along the Sawmill River, which is a CT River tributary, there wasn't much color. There was, however, this bit of contrast by the mill terrace.

[​IMG]

For right or wrong, I thought this might make somewhat of an artistic picture without going all artsy-fartsy with filters. The funny thing is that with a little bit of color adjustment and blur, you could almost imagine it being the basis for something Cezanne might have done.
    B10Dave, klaviator, zookster and 3 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yard Leftovers: Below are some yard shots taken in September that I finally got around to converting.

[​IMG]

These are also two pictures where I stayed out of the yard but stuck my camera out to get the shot.

[​IMG]

We did, of course, park the bike in the weeds outside the yard proper, mindful of being "out of sight, out of mind." No sense giving anyone cause to wonder what I was doing.

[​IMG]

With the summer foliage gone, the redhead will be a little more conspicuous if/when I go back there; however, as long as I am respectful of their boundaries, they don't seem to mind.
    B10Dave, klaviator, zookster and 4 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color On The Ware: Below is a picture of the color along the Ware River last month.

[​IMG]

This is part of another set of pics I had forgotten to convert due to a number of events. Note: For future artistic purposes, I removed a concrete cistern from under the tree using Photoshop.
    Shaggie, The Opa, zookster and 5 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sorry State Of An Old Steamer: After some recent discussion about the Big Boy that was rotting away in Steamtown getting a new coat of paint, I rummaged through my 2018 Steamtown pics and ran across this 5/18 photo of another, really grungy, older steamer.

[​IMG]

I had previously posted some other views of this old hulk, but not this one. All of this serves as a reminder for me to put Steamtown on next spring's dance card to see what, if anything, the National Park Service has accomplished on their rusting steam collection.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, zookster and 3 others like this.
  18. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    The colors of the rusting metal are pretty amazing. Really good picture. Shame they are letting it go, however. :(

John
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  19. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is slightly disappointing, but I'll give the NPS the benefit of the doubt. I did see on their Instagram account that the O&W 44-ton is going to be finished. I'm a weird fan of the O&W - it's abandoned rail bed was behind the house I grew up in.

upload_2019-11-7_10-37-13.png
    B10Dave, Shaggie and popscycle like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your comment, John, and it sent me back into the archives for another, rather colorful hunk of railroad rust. Will post when I find it.
    Shaggie likes this.