Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing you can always count on is a government agency, such as the NPS, never having enough funds. Also, thanks for the info on that O&W centercab. I remembered I had posted a picture of it, shown below.

[​IMG]

BTW, what constitutes being a weird fan of a railroad, defunct or otherwise. With the exception of, perhaps, screaming foamers; I've been under the impression that RR fans were otherwise normal, very intelligent and often quite handy, if not handsome. :D
    jeickerman, B10Dave, Shaggie and 2 others like this.
  2. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:

Good point. My younger brother was very much into RR before he became a pilot. That's where I picked up on it, and only enough knowledge to be slightly dangerous. As far as weird - I'm more interested in diesels than steam. That might be weird to some.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Having grown up in the era when railroads where transitioning from steam to diesel-electric, we boys were all enamored with the ubiquitous F7s from GM's EMD subsidiary. Thus, I get a little nostalgic whenever I see one in good condition with both the A and B unit. The last time I was through Scranton, PA; Steamtown still had the Reading Railroad 902, a 1950 FP7, sitting out front.

[​IMG]

This particular diesel-electric combo was purchased and owned by the Lancaster chapter of the of the National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) and had been stored In Strasburg, PA, at the RR Museum of PA. In 2007, the combo was donated to and used for excursions by the Reading Company Technical and Historical Society in Hamburg, PA. In 2010, the units were loaned to Steamtown for a year in exchange for excursion rights. As of 2018, they were still there and today's current sat view (coordinates 41.408071, -75.672809) shows they haven't moved.
    zookster, Shaggie, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  4. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is one in Birmingham, AL. Irondale  Photo 01-19-2016 (5).JPG
    CamoColton, zookster, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great pic! Southern Railway had a good number of EMD E8s and F7s back in the day. It's nice to see that E8 so nicely preserved, at least on the outside. GM didn't make that many of them compared to the F7 (e.g., 450 compared to almost 2,400 for the F7), so yours is a rare find. The only other (that at Steamtown) F7 I've seen up close and personal is the one that used to haul freight on the G&U, shown below back in 2014. Sometime after 2015, it apparently kicked the bucket and hasn't been seen since. Rumor is that the unit is in some shop down in RI.

[​IMG]
    The Opa, zookster, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    October Pond Scene: Still going through all of my October ride pics, I found these two of a scenic old mill pond that's out in the middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]

Years ago, I tried to coax some bass out of the weeds here to no avail. A local told me it had some good-sized largemouth so I put the canoe in and beat the water with various weedless lures for the better part of a morning.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, black 8 and 7 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Year Ago When The Build From Hell Tried To Eat My Riding: Exactly one year ago to the day, the carriage house build came out of the ground. Shown below is how the domicile-to-be looked Nov. 9, 2018. It was originally supposed to be completed that month.

[​IMG]

For a good part of the summer, we were preoccupied with selling the old place and temporarily moving in with the kids place above. That took big bites out of prime 2018 riding time. Already months late getting out of the ground, the following winter and spring was the build from hell. We had picked a well-known, award-wining, highly recommended builder who'd done excellent work for us previously. What we didn't know was that the owner was suffering from dementia and was just a figurehead who was not running the business. As a result, there were endless timing, quality and legal issues with the subcontractors. In any event, we got fully moved in around the first of July this year and manged to get the lawn reestablished around the side and back. Now, it's November (i.e., one year later from when the carriage house was supposed to be finished), the place looks as shown below and things are almost fixed/finished.

[​IMG]

As late as yesterday, I was still fixing door latches that were improperly installed and/or missing screws but am thankful there are no serious problems with things that matter, like family and friends. Also, the redhead and Miata are running well. This winter and next year looks promising.
    klaviator, Shaggie, st2sam and 4 others like this.
  8. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At your recommendation, I took my father to visit the Colling’s American Heritage Museum. Very impressive! It’s a much better museum than I expected (even after your reports). The exhibits are very well done and there were many volunteer veterans around to answer any questions.

Quite frankly, I expected a big warehouse with a bunch of tanks parked in it. In reality it is far better than that. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Shaggie, CamoColton and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happy to hear you liked the Collings' Foundation museum. When we last visited earlier this year, they had this Me-109 in addition to the tanks and there was certainly floor space for several more relevant aircraft.

[​IMG]

IMHO, their tank collection should have that Russian tank-buster, the Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik as well as one of the America's best ground-attack aircraft, the P-47 "Jug". Thinking about tanks and tank-attack aircraft might also lead one to think about the Henschel Hs-129 "Panzerknacker". I wonder if any of these are on display anywhere.
    klaviator, Shaggie, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Color On The River: I had another fall color pic taken on the Ware River. Shown below, the view is downstream.

[​IMG]

The seemingly fat tree you see to the left has an old smokestack directly behind it that's a bit of a spoiler. I was too lazy to photoshop it out, but may someday for a future artistic rendering.
    zookster, klaviator, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  11. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I have been hearing about the Colling's museum for a long time.
    I just now looked it up. Surprise surprise! I have a friend who lives
    just up the road in Sudbury!
    That's about five hours from here.
    Sounds like a summer road trip is in order!
    popscycle likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You might consider planning your trip when the Collings Foundation is having one of their open house or reenactment events when the hanger and old car barn are also open.

[​IMG]

You can usually find dates for these events on their website.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Below is that other hunk of Steamtown railroad rust I had in the archives - an 1898 Cooke, steam-powered, rotary snowplow. It was sitting just down the track from that very rusty ALCO 4-6-0 you referenced.

[​IMG]

I am reminded that Cooke Locotomotive & Machine Works built some 3,000 locomotives in addition to rotary snow plows. Cooke and seven or so other companies merged to become ALCO around 1902.
    zookster, Massabusa, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Veterans' Day Pic: Taken this year from the mezzanine of the American History Museum, it helps us remember.

[​IMG]
    zookster, B10Dave, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Veteran's Day Reminders: Below are a few more pictures I have taken that remind us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With thanks to all, past, present and future, who have served or will in the future.
    black 8, zookster, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Train On The Tracks And A Caboose In The Weeds: I could go to some length spinning a yarn about how we went to great lengths to find and catch a train. After all, finding one not sitting around on a siding or in the yard is a big deal these days. The truth is, I had crossed the McClelland Farm Road bridge when I saw a NS freight idling at the entrance of the Pan Am yard and got this picture walking up to the bridge.

[​IMG]

This was most likely a Pan Am Southern (PAS) freight that had come through the Hoosac Tunnel. PAS is a freight railroad company jointly owned by Pan Am and Norfolk Southern. It was formed in 2008 to provide improved rail service between Albany NY and the greater Boston Area. At issue were deteriorating track and signal conditions. PAS now owns the trackage.
    zookster, Shaggie, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When The Witch Of November Came Calling: When the Witch of November came calling, she created a "widow-maker" out back in addition to dropping some other trees and limbs. With neighborhood kids, trail strays and critters running around, it seemed prudent to address the problem pronto. Fortunately, Kevin had a school friend with just the right tools and crew to quickly make hay (or wood chips) of the problem. As such, I learned that a small skidsteer with the right attachments was perfect for scooting around in the woods and dragging things out for the wood chipper.

[​IMG]

After seeing this thing in action, we're thinking there's another use for it out back.

[​IMG]

Aside from dragging out trees, this thing would seem to be perfect for clearing the smaller brush (of which there is still a lot) with a mulcher attachment. In any event, this crew was in and out in a flash, taking care of several large trees, a widow-maker and a ton of limbs and branches. Kevin was right about his HS friend being good. He suggests we call him back.

Note: The first pic was taken with the iPhone and the second with the RX10.
    jeickerman, zookster and bluestar like this.
  18. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that a beer can hanging from a string in the center of the pic?
    popscycle likes this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ha, after converting the pic from RAW, I wondered if anyone would spot that. It's a Brisk ice tea can that I use for (1) estimating windage for and (2) checking loss of muzzle velocity on the CO2 pellet gun used to do battle with the squirrels and chippies wanting to raid the bird feeder. That is to say it is basically a target that moves when I hit it, which lets me know how "off" the sights are and when it's time to change the CO2 cartridges. Shown below, it was a really cheap air gun.

[​IMG]

Also, the words "plinking" and "cheap, self-resetting target" apply here. You've a good eye, @guywithchickens.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Witch Of November Begets The Trains Of May: With the current blast of icy wind coming east off the great lakes, we're experiencing some exceptionally cold weather for this area/time of year. Ten to 30 degrees is too cold for these old bones to ride so we parked in front of the fire going through pictures from last spring that were never posted. One particular picture set me dreaming of trains in May and a favorite movie of yore.

[​IMG]

Reading 2124 began life in 1924 as a 2-8-0 numbered 2044. In 1947, it was rebuilt in to 4-8-4 Northern type No. 2124 that used the original boiler and firebox. It was a part of Nelson Blount's original Steamtown collection. The locomotive appeared in the 1960 movie "From The Terrace" starring Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward (a favorite movie from a favorite 1958 book by John O'Hara).