Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Making Love: Ornaments, that is. With the weather oscillating between snow, sleet and rain; we are once again down in the basement making "LOVE" ornamental decorations. Made from strips of 1/4" cherry, it takes about 3 minutes to cut out each one using a 1/8" fluted upcut bit. I make the cutout in 4 passes to prolong bit and router life by not overheating either. Since we're cutting clear through the wood, four 0.125 in. tabs are left in the cut so the ornament doesn't separate from board on the final, through cut.

[​IMG]

The design was done in Vectric V-Carve, which also translates the drawing vectors into tool paths. This particular piece has 4 tool paths, each of which use the same 1/8" bit successively. Such work is a pleasant and satisfying diversion from the mental rigors of really crappy weather. The picture above was taken with the iPhone after vacuuming up all the sawdust.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    How I Could Have Shot It: Perusing the (large) file of photos is another pleasant, snowy day pastime. In doing so, I come across pics of some of the most enjoyable past rides. Below is one of these, slightly "adjusted" to show how I could have shot it.

[​IMG]

Kevin had ridden across to the other side of the bridge where he stopped on the track for the pic. I could have also posed the redhead on the track on this side of the bridge to make the pic more motorcycle-specific. To that end, I did it in Photoshop last night for fun.
    Shaggie, jeickerman, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  3. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Once again seizing the opportunity to let me know you got the better color GS!
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I offered to trade beaks, but no, which said you really like blue. Blue is, of course, the safer color. I know this since the police have exclusive use of blue lights. :D
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Of That White Stuff This week started off with rain removing most of last week's foot of snow. Once gone, we got more of the white stuff and the back yard became winter scenic again. I took a picture thereof in the afternoon light and then moved the redhead into the pic for relevance.

[​IMG]

We are fortunate to have a ground level view of this lovely scene from the dining/kitchen area and also the workshop in the basement below.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Winter Scene: Below is a pic taken yesterday of a favorite trail. Often rutted with mud spots in the spring and fall, it was where the redhead and I first got our feet wet on sand and gravel.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the tracks, some snowmobile riders like it too. I've several more of these winter trail scenes to convert and will post them later.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Black Ice Reminder: There are incidents that remind us of the perils of black ice (i.e., a thin layer of transparent ice on a road or bridge). The other night, a car hit black ice on our road several houses down, lost traction and slid into the river at the point shown below in pic below (taken today).

[​IMG]

The driver escaped and the passenger was saved by a good samaritan who went into the water to rescue the passenger before the car sunk. When moisture-laden days encounter very cold ground, you should expect there may be black ice. I no longer ride the bike in such conditions and this was a close-to-home reminder why.
    KMichael, bluestar, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Winter Trail Scenery: Two more pictures of winter on the trails.

[​IMG]

Underneath that snow are some ice-filled potholes.

[​IMG]

In my very younger days, I'd tear down trails and roads like this with gleeful abandon. Now, I walk them and enjoy the quiet winter beauty.
  9. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey John

Just wanted to wish you and your family (and the AdvRider family who enjoys your RR so much) a very Merry and Safe Christmas and Holiday season.....

Ours will be spent in the pool and BBQ-ing so likely a marked contrast to yours.

kindest regards to all

Shane
    B10Dave, The Opa, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Railroad Yard Dreaming: What to do when the weather outside is frightful (i.e., slippery, snowy, snotty, slushy and salty) and chores are done? All of the shop work was completed for the week, critters were fed, groceries were gotten and put up. Some chops were in the pot ((ile., slow and low, 8-hour cookery of some regular, non-smoked pork chops submerged in a gravy of cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup and cream of celery soup). Boredom? No, using the magic of Photoshop and AI Masking, we took two images of the PA yard and combined them to mentally do what we physically and legally couldn't - ride through the yard. It passed the time and made for a happy mental image.

[​IMG]

The background pic was taken last weekend on a railroad yard drive-by. As usual, nothing was moving. The GS pic was taken earlier this year. On last weekend's drive-by, we let the zoom walk up to the locomotives for a better look.

[​IMG]
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Winter Riding Thoughts: Below is a previously-unposted picture of an old (ca. 1734) house I rode by, stopping just long enough in the cold to take the pic. Now, sitting comfortably in front of a gas fireplace in a warm house, one might think about winters back then when the only warm place in the house was by the fireplace, keeping the fire stoked meant plenty of chopping/splitting/hauling and taking a dump meant either using a honey pot or freezing your ass off in some smelly outhouse.

[​IMG]

Having been born into two poor families (poor due to a combination of the depression and a modicum of laziness), I was fortunate to experience things such as cold rooms, stinky outhouses and taking a bath in a tin wash tub with water from a coal stove. Below is a pic of yours truly taking a bath in the combination wash tub, bath tub and kids pool. There were kerosene lamps throughout the house and food was found in jars in the root cellar, ice box or pantry window box.

[​IMG]

The teen years did see an indoor bathroom and some rooms heated by a coal furnace but I didn't sleep in a heated bedroom until college. During periods from the late 70s through the 90s, we cut, split and hauled wood for the fireplace stove of our last home, but it had central heat as a backup. One year I put up 10 cords but had the advantage of using a chainsaw, axe and wedge. Because of all this, I can look at the house above and somewhat relate to what the colonials went through (excluding attacks from Native Americans and other events). As a result, winter warmth has never been taken for granted and is something we're thankful for.
    zookster, Shaggie, jeickerman and 4 others like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; went to St Thomas on an errand and took my camera with me. Stopped by the Elgin County Rail Museum and took some pics of some old boxcars there. This past summer they let some "artists" decorate both sides of two cars.
    st thomas 018.jpg

st thomas 021.jpg

st thomas 017.jpg

st thomas 014.jpg

There was a third car which had been painted up for an earlier project.

st thomas 013.jpg

A bit later when I was downtown I took pictures of the 1898 City Hall and the streetscape to the east.

st thomas 006.jpg

st thomas 008.jpg

The nondescript red brick building in the centre of the block.....

st thomas 009.jpg

.......is made very special by this stone mounted in the centre front of the wall.

st thomas 011.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to you and your family John.....Dave
    zookster, bluestar, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Dave, and may the same be true for you, your family and friends. Also, may 2020 be an even better riding year for you.
    B10Dave likes this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Homestead This Christmas: With both Kevin and Sue home for the holidays and us happily ensconced in the attached carriage house, the homestead is a happy place this holiday season.

[​IMG]

The bikes are asleep on their battery tenders, there are fresh cookies in the jar, funky cheese and cold beer in the fridge and pepper steak in the pot. All's well and we're thankful for our many blessings.
    Deckyon, Shaggie, zookster and 5 others like this.
  15. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Christmas greeting card stuff there! Very nice.
    B10Dave likes this.
  16. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Hey Pops (neighbor?). Don't know what took me so long to find this thread but it's very enjoyable. Merry Christmas and please keep the great pictures and attached stories coming!
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank You and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours, Loren. Yup the place is quite nice and quite a change from the abodes of our (i.e., both Keven and I) poor beginnings. At this age, I am just happy being warm. I remember my grandfather keeping warm sitting on a stool over the one (coal furnace in the root cellar) heat register in the small house during my grade/high school years.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too. Being in MA, we can't be too far away. I trust you're in or not too far from the Berkshire/Hoosac range, which is really great riding, BTW.
  19. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I'm closer to our favorite bakery. I don't want to mention the name, though, the lines are long enough!
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Lucky you and thank you for not mentioning the name, since it's hard enough finding our favorite pastries (example below) not being sold out by the time we get there. Also, did G. replace his Guzzi with a scoot?

[​IMG]