Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Art: Another wintertime hobby is motorcycle art composed from riding photos. Below is one done this month.

[​IMG]
    TheBrainB, B10Dave, The Opa and 3 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We wish you the best this holiday and may you, your family and friends have a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.
  3. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    What a gorgeous house!
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It's the result of a lot of very hard work and sacrifice over a good number of years, especially by Kevin.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Walking The Bridge: Another art work.

[​IMG]
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Kids Came Home: The kids came home for a couple of days over Christmas. I managed to catch a pic of Kevin fussing about outside.

[​IMG]

We had a nice Christmas Eve dinner in the big house (Kevin and Sue's breakfast room) of beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes and gravy and a mix of root vegetables. It was a most pleasant and rare get-together since they travel a lot.

[​IMG]

By 8:30 AM this morning, they were off to the airport again. With kids and family scattered to all parts of the country, any little get-together is a welcome event for which we are thankful.

Edit Note: Earlier in the day yesterday, food and gifts were taken to a needy family - a tradition the kids have carried on.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Bridge In Winter: A picture taken in contemplation of Bardwell's Ferry bridge in winter.

[​IMG]

Not particularly scenic, it is another example of your bike at the bridge.
    KMichael, CamoColton, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Winter Bridge Pictures: Below is another winter view of the Bardwell's Ferry bridge. This rare, lenticular truss bridge (a.k.a. 'Pumpkin Seed' bridge) is a favorite that I often take when going east or west. I love the rumble of the wooden deck planks as your ride over them; however, a modicum of caution is needed when conditions are right for black ice. During such times, I will often park the bike and walk the bridge to check of ice or slippery conditions. Just across the bridge and up the hill is a hairpin with RR tracks running right through the apex of the curve.

[​IMG]

Walking the bridge gives you a good view of the Deerfield River gorge. Looking north, you can see the RR bridge in the distance. Shown in an earlier pic below, Kevin and I rode the tracks out and onto this bridge, where I promptly got a bad case of vertigo. He rode on across the trestle and I crawled back. I no longer ride, walk or crawl out on railroad trestles unless they have a solid walk way with substantive side, guard rails (and even then I have to fight the vertigo).

[​IMG]
    KMichael, CamoColton, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Winter Bridge Picture: With December rapidly coming to an end, we've been going through our unused winter bridge pics and converting them from RAW. The absence of foliage provides better views in winter. Below is a winter pic of the Turner Falls bridge.

[​IMG]

The bridge spans the CT River and connects the towns of Gill and Montague. Below is a pic from the same vantage point showing the CT river as it flows south by Montague on the left.

[​IMG]

These views are only seen in winter months when there's no blocking foliage.
    Shaggie, KMichael, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Third Winter Bridge Pictured: Below is the Cheapside railroad bridge (ca.1912) over the Deerfield river, taken from below next to the first pier.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, KMichael, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  11. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    J, I believe this is the bridge near one of "your" railyards,Deerfield. Does the name come from the
    rte 5 south side of Greenfield? 50 years of passing under this bridge towards Turners and I never looked up.
    Thank you for reminding me to see more in our beloved N.E. now that I am retired from trucking across the
    U.S.
    I am glad to be home. In Orange, two blocks from Millers river bridge. You always start my day now.
    (along with a strong,black coffee).
    Thank You.
    Sully
    st2sam and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You nailed it, Sully. The picture was taken under the south side of the bridge (often so named since it also passes over where Cheapside street branches off of Rt. 5) just off River Road. Speaking of Orange, you have one of the most interesting Historical Society buildings in the state with it plethora of historical items, including the most rare Grout automobile up in the attic. Finally, thank you for letting us know you're enjoying the site - it's one of the things that gets me going in the morning.
    Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  13. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My father and I took a trip to Acadia in early Nov. Stopped by the Deer Isle Bridge on the way back since we're both engineers. Very pretty bridge.

IMG_1403.jpg
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 2 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Winter Train At The Diamond: An artistic interpretation and composition, done on an ice-coated, no-riding morning.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, B10Dave, The Opa and 2 others like this.
  15. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    O M G
    ( I am speechless.)
    popscycle likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Fourth Winter Bridge: As previously said, the lack of foliage in and stark nature of winter makes it easier to see bridges (i.e., something many of us like) and their components. This bridge is fourth of these - the Paper Mill Road bridge in Millers Falls, MA. Shown below, it was built in 1937 and carried workers from Millers Falls across Millers River to the paper mill(s). It is a Parker through truss design.

[​IMG]

Below is the view from this bridge looking northwest down Millers River toward a RR bridge.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, KMichael, zookster and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year, all, and may 2020 be both your eyesight and best riding year yet.
    Shaggie, dc_ok, zookster and 7 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Wistful Winter Vista: Below are several pics taken at an overlook of the Quabbin watershed near the small town of New Salem.

[​IMG]

Taken later in the afternoon of a cold winter day, I am reminded of and long for those wonderful spring rides where I often stopped here to rest and refresh. Soon!

[​IMG]

It gives you an appreciation for those warmer days when all you see is a sea of green.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Note: Going into the new year, I am about to send the redhead in for service. Thus far, I've gone past 50K miles on the GS with only 2 issues. The first was the rather sudden loss of the rear brake. The brake problem was remedied by flushing/replacing the brake fluid. Once that was done, there were no further instances of brake pedal "mush" or loss. The second was replacing the fuel pump, which gave up the ghost around 50K. I did replace the battery once when it developed a bad cell, but that's just normal maintenance. The previous road sofas used to cook their batteries once or twice a year. Thus, having to replace a battery only once in 6 seems like a gift.

[​IMG]
    Looking back, it appears the GS has been the least problematic of all the rides with, perhaps, the exception of a Shadow VT1100C. The Shadow was a great local area ride but was missing some gears and killed my back and ass on long x-country sojourns. I am certainly glad the kids prodded me into this at my advanced age and it appears I've come to love the 2-cylinder boxer engine, even more than an inline 2, 3 or 4 and more than the 8-cylinder goldwing sewing machine motor. Also, she's good looking in an odd sort of way.

I've got at least another year or two with the redhead. The only thing that would get me off right now would be, say, a lighter weight 800 cc water boxer GS with a telelever front suspension.

Edit Note: I sometimes get the question about why I like/want the telelever front suspension. The simple answer is that it separates the steering forces from suspension forces, which results in better tire contact, resultant better stopping distance, reduced brake dive. This adds up to better riding comfort and handling. If you're coming off cruiser, road sofa or lead sled, you will likely notice the difference and require a few miles to get used to it.
    Shaggie, bowyer2002, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Things I Took Pictures Of: Some frosty cold winter water.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, Shaggie and 9 others like this.