Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks mighty tasty John. No snow yet (supposed to get several inches tonight along with possible ice pellets or freezing rain) so when I went to St Thomas this afternoon I took my camera with me. Was hoping to catch Ontario Southland St Thomas job. Score!! I caught them bringing a few cars into the yard; followed them to the east end of the city where they did some switching and then followed the power to the north of town where they had left their consist from Ingersoll. I headed for home from there so not sure where these cars were destined for. Thought later I should have doubled back as with a train that long they would probably be out on the bridge to get head room at the yard. Oh well, there will be other days.
    train 008.jpg

train 010.jpg

train 023.jpg

train 028.jpg

train 031.jpg

train 032.jpg

train 036.jpg
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the train fix, Dave. What railfan doesn't love an old F9 that's still running?

Edit Note: I think I've got an F9 laying around somewhere in one of the computers but I don't remember photographing one that was running.
    B10Dave and scarysharkface like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When The Service Guy Is Happy: Unable to find many of my tools, which were packed for last year's move, I don't wrench any more. So, when it was time to give the redhead its spring spruce up, I called the area dealer's service department to see if they would come and pick it up since the service would be an over-nighter at the very least. With happy, friendly, competent and immediate service not being as widespread as it should be, I was happy to see the service guy come right away and, as shown below, he was happier than I was.

[​IMG]

Spring is coming and the redhead needs the big service (i.e., fluids, filters, check valve clearance, etc.) with a little over 60,000 miles on the odo.

[​IMG]

Albeit a tad more expensive (but not much) than other bikes to maintain, the service had been better than for any of the others, but that's more a dealer, rather than brand, issue. So far, I am thinking both the redhead and I should be good for 100K.
    Shaggie, TheAdmiral, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  4. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    John, I am suspicious.The tech looks like he works at a Harley dealership?
    LOL, I also own a fleece that orange..
    My favorite Columbia of 5 years.
    Oh, my strom is registered 2020, I am ready for the next clear 50 degree day.
    Ride On.
    Sully.
    (in Orange,Ma.)
    really.
    popscycle likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Railroad Recollections: After @B10Dave posted pics of the OSR F9 locomotives, I went looking to see if any of my rides had encountered said power unit models. Low and behold, it turns out Kevin and I happened upon two down in Danbury, CT. One had belonged to the New Haven RR and the other to the New York Central. Both are shown below.

[​IMG]

Both of these are the L models that have dual power modes - standard diesel electric and electric only via shoes that can be lowered to connect with a third rail.

[​IMG]

The two units above were gathering rust in a Danbury CT yard where a collection of RR memorabilia makes up the Danbury Railroad Museum. The last time I looked, there were two FL9s running on the Cape Cod Railway. Also, the RR Museum of NE in Thomaston, CT. has two or three in unknown (to me) condition. Finally, there's one in Willimantic, CT, shown below that was rusting away at the CT Eastern RR Museum.

[​IMG]

I have great skill finding locomotives that aren't moving. :lol3
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Winter Water Scene: Typical February weather with temps in the high 20s, gloomy and spitting snow from time to time. Pic below taken at the Quabbin Reservoir this afternoon.

[​IMG]

Smaller ponds and lakes were frozen over with folks out on the ice. Several pics of that later. Hope y'all had a great weekend.
  7. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:

An absolutely brilliant depiction of winter!

B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the very kind comment. It's what gets me out to take pics in the dead of winter snow and cold.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Is The Shed Dead?: Another, depiction of New England winter is folks ice fishing, often with a wooden shack on sled runners. Yesterday, I saw this variation on the ice fishing shed - the ice fishing tent. It's the first one I've ever seen. Maybe I just don't get out enough.

[​IMG]

This one popped up on the pond that's part of the wetlands way back behind the carriage house. Being one who disliked hauling heavy stuff around to go fishing (e.g., I favored a very lightweight, one-person canoe), I have to think this beats a wooden shed sled. As the result of asking some questions, I learned it packs up to less than 40 lbs. That's the front door on the left. It has a back door, too but isn't insulated to the extent a shed could be. Screw type stakes tie the tent down to the ice
    Shaggie, B10Dave, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Kids Ice Fishing: Simply put, it is great to see youngsters out ice fishing instead of being couch/computer potatoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics taken on nearby pond.
    Shaggie, zookster, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    What Is This?: Anybody hazard a guess on what this iwas that tripped the trailcam in the back yard. So far, we've had opinions that it was a dog, coyote or a wolf. Considering it was half way between the camera on the tree and the salt block, it's not small, it doesn't seem to be small.

[​IMG]

Having watched coyotes wander through the yard up closer to the house, I am wondering if need to carry when walking or riding farther back there? Thus far, this was the only time this animal has triggered the camera. There doesn't seem to be much interest in the mineral and salt blocks.
  12. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    I vote Coyote...from the puffy tail.

John
  13. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    100% coyote. We have them passing through every night on my camera. Unless the Bobcat is hanging around, then they seem to keep a distance.
    Edit: I wouldn't worry about them at all unless they are coming that close in the daylight hours.
    Massabusa and popscycle like this.
  14. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-2-13_9-9-17.png
    Here's a decent shot of my kitty
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Milling Around Again: Below are several pics of an old mill complex that I shot last weekend. As you can see, the old place is starting to fall apart in the back.

[​IMG]

The view out front is shown below. It is highly likely that much, if not all, of this complex will be razed at some point in the future.

[​IMG]

There are some business offices and warehousing here but no major manufacturing that I know of.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  16. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Berkshire Blanket seems to be doing pretty well, although I think most of their manufacturing has moved to Asia (years ago). There's also a fairly new medical disposables business in that complex that is a good sized employer for the town. It's a shame that town has a couple very unfortunate distinctions. I'm hoping a lot of those old mills, around the state, might be saved by pot growing/processing operations of all things. I know of a very large one in a neighboring town (you may have photographed it previously) that was purchased by a firm in NYC just for that purpose.
    Did you see "Chronical" Wednesday night? It was a new episode on MA covered bridges that also featured your favorite bakery...
    popscycle likes this.
  17. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just heard the Hoosac Tunnel has been closed due to a "partial wall collapse!"
    popscycle likes this.
  18. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    B10Dave likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Looking back through past Hoosac pics, you can see there's often a good amount of water flowing down by and through the tunnel.

[​IMG]

As I recall, the ballast and ground around the tracks are often wet and soggy, suggesting hydraulic leaks and subsequent small blowouts are not uncommon in the tunnel. An accumulation water plus really cold, freezing weather can make things heave, especially roads and probably the inside of tunnels.
    Shaggie, B10Dave and jeickerman like this.