1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent point about water and weather leading to destructive expansion and heaves! I had forgotten the water shown in your fine photo from warmer times! The inside of that thing looks like a stupendously bad place to derail due to track obstructions!
    popscycle likes this.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Centerburg, Ohio - (Circa 1910) A Glimpse into the Past

This mural depicts the end of North Hartford Avenue. The arrival of the Cleveland, Akron and Columbus Railroad in 1873 gave Centerburg an economic boost. Many local farmers invested heavily to bring the railroad to the area. It was primarily used for passengers and some freight traffic. It eventually became part of the Pennsylvania System. The line stopped running in the early 1970's and the railroad bed is now the Heart of Ohio Trail.

20200217_111818-01.jpeg
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love that mural, which is obviously the work of a good wall dog. Thanks!
    GAS GUY likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Moto Hazards On The Horizon: Am seeing an increasing number of these critters hiding in the brush and on the road. Pic below was taken when when a herd of them were in the brush way back in the yard.

[​IMG]

This one poked her head out long enough for me to get a telephoto shot, zoomed to the max. These forest rats also take to the street, using it both as a travel path and something to bound across out of the brush. Increased situational awareness is on
    the docket for this spring.
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Hocking Valley Railway - Nelsonville, Ohio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Hocking Valley Railway - Nelsonville, Ohio

[​IMG]

Last September while attending the Waylin' Wayne Weekend Rally, I'd stumbled upon this historic (and still functioning) railroad station. It was purely by chance too. You see, the Wayne National Forest ATV trails connected right into the back of our campsite in New Straightsville, Ohio. So after a long morning of busting trails, and a few parts on Ken's bike - the trail led us through the forested hills and into Nelsonville. While passing through town I'd taken notice of the old train depot and made a mental note to return the next day to further investigate.

As I stepped up to the depot station entrance, there was a big red sign on the door proclaiming, "All Hobos Are Asked To Do A Good Dust Off Before Entering The Waiting Room." How did they know we were coming?

[​IMG]

Many projects were started in the early days of Nelsonville for building a steam railroad. The Ohio Legislature passed a bill in 1834, authorizing the construction of a railroad from Lancaster to a point on the Ohio River opposite Parkersburg, then in the state of Virginia. Nothing was done under this act.

- Inside the depot.

[​IMG]

In 1854, steps were again taken to secure a railroad through the valley. Because of the financial crash of 1857 and then the Civil War, it was 1865 before a railroad was organized. The Mineral Railroad Company was organized that year. The name was changed to the Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad and the contract awarded to Dodge, Wood & Co. in the spring of 1867. The 25 miles from Columbus to Lancaster were completed on November 7th of 1868. The railroad reached Nelsonville on June 30th of 1869, and Athens in the summer of 1870.

[​IMG]

The name was eventually changed to the Hocking Valley Railroad and the line was later absorbed by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad system.

- Here is the caboose No. 90704 - that was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, as was mentioned on the historic sign in the opening photograph.

[​IMG]
    bluestar, popscycle, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Better Than The February(s) Of Yore: In past years, latter parts of the month of February often gifted the skiers, snow boarders, snowmobile folks, etc. with copious helpings of that white stuff, as shown below (in a pic taken at the old place this time several years back.

[​IMG]

Looking back in the picture file, this time of year had snow like this more often than not. With snow comes road salt, grime and often black ice. This year, though, is different. We've had much less snow but with (seemingly) colder temps. For posterity's sake, I took the following picture yesterday from the driveway in front of our carriage house domicile.

[​IMG]

Recent rains have washed most of the salt and grime off the roads and they're predicting some 50 degree weather on Sunday and Monday. With the redhead all freshened up with new fluids, plugs and stuff, she may get some miles on her soon.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, zookster and 2 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Redheads Step Out: Sunny skies, no appreciable wind and temps in the high 40s made it time to get the redheads out, cook their oil a bit and them give them a bath before heading to the barn.

[​IMG]

I only took a couple of lousy iphone pics is it was a riding day, not a photography day, and I forgot to take the camera.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Horse (Sculpture) Was There: I was riding along the CT River this afternoon and saw that a long standing horse sculpture was well. It seems to disappear, move and reappear from time to time.

[​IMG]

This particular piece of welded metal has been a regular landmark when going south on River Road away from the rail yard.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, NxtGoRnd, GAS GUY and 4 others like this.
  10. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    Only three legs??
    popscycle likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It looks that way but I think the 4th is directly behind the other.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Explaining The Reduction In Chickens: Unlike deer, moose, bear, turkeys and suicidal geese; free-range chickens do not pose a significant threat to the motorcycle rider. We do, though, keep an eye on them through the back windows when working upstairs on the computer or down in the shop. After all, chickens are yard-friendly animals that have an appetite for tics and other yard pests. With some moderation in winter weather we've seen these egg-laying machines strutting through the yard of late in lesser numbers than last fall. The trail cam suggests a possible, if not probable, cause.

[​IMG]

They do not look malnourished. As a general rule, coyotes do not attack humans; however, there have been increasing reports of more aggressive coyote attacks.
    Moto Jimmy, Shaggie, bluestar and 4 others like this.
  13. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    They don't appear to like each other very much by the hair standing on end.
    popscycle likes this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; spring must be almost here in my area. Heard tundra swans today. Couldn't see them through the snow storm though!!
    popscycle likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    We've seen more than a few geese heading north, suggesting spring is in the near future. Remembering the kamikaze goose that took out the Miata, I trust you'll be vigilant knowing they're headed your way. :D
    B10Dave likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Quick Study Of Mill Housing: I was out riding with a purpose - to get some favorite pastries at our favorite bakery. After getting said tasty pastry (i.e., raspberry danish, sticky bun), I was looking at old mill row housing across the street, noticing the contrast between minimal maintenance and complete rehabilitation. The one immediately across the street from where I parked had been somewhat maintained but still looks like it belongs on mill row.

[​IMG]

The mill house next door south, however, had been rehabilitated to point of looking more like a modern apartment building than a mill row remnant.

[​IMG]

Such is the nature and future of these remnants of our industrial revolution. Mills and mill houses continue being converted into housing - apartments and condos. That said, regrowing our industrial base seems like a smart thing to do.

Note: Pics above were taken with the iPhone, having forgotten to take the good camera.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, bluestar and 3 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Temperate Days, Icy Nights: We've had some temperate days of late with midday temps reaching into the mid to high 40s. With cold nights, though, there's still plenty of ice on the water.

[​IMG]

Given the plethora of lakes, ponds and reservoirs I usually ride past; it is safe to say that ice-out is a ways away, even when the ice is on top of fast-flowing water.

[​IMG]

When you ride by these ponds in low-lying areas, you can feel the temperature drop. No complaints, though, as we seldom have riding days (i.e., clear roads with temps above mid 40s) in February.
    B10Dave, Shaggie, NxtGoRnd and 3 others like this.
  18. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

:shoot
    popscycle likes this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Village In The Hollow: I took this pic sitting on the bike looking down from a bluff.

[​IMG]

It looks like many other New England villages - old buildings with newer siding. I was tempted to jazz it up with filters (e.g., vignette) but decided to leave alone.
    B10Dave, dc_ok, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  20. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    we tried both this mornings pork chops an awesome breakfast

thx
    popscycle likes this.