1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still Cold, But No Snow: Rode past another pond in Leverett, MA. Stopped the bike long enough to pull the camera out of the bag to show there's still good ice.

[​IMG]

Nights are still below freezing but daytime temps for the next several days may make it into the 50s for more riding time.
    B10Dave, bluestar, Shaggie and 2 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Work In Progress: I have been seeing (very) slow but steady work on this old place for years now. I am guessing the original house, a small cape that is hidden by the trees is late 1600s or early 1700s. The house had been extended in back to a barn that was built later.

[​IMG]

Kudos to the folks living there who seem to be trying to keep it from falling apart. Love the classic barn.
    bluestar, Shaggie, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Happened Across Another GS Rider Today: I was headed west and passed a rider who was taking pictures along a roadside creek. A little farther up the road, I pulled off to get a pic of a wildlife area and he stopped to say hello.

[​IMG]

We were both headed to the same general area in the Berskshires, him for some pizza and me for some pork chops. Thus, we paired up and I was able to him a new route to cross the CT river where we had the opportunity to stop for a bit and swap notes.

[​IMG]

I think we both learned of new places to visit and things to see. He rode on to get pizza and I got my smoked pork chops. It was a good day.
    red bud, jeickerman, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    About That Pork Chop Run: There was nothing unusual about my latest run for more smoked pork chops . . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . . except for the sign in the window. It reads "Kielbasa Shoot - Shotguns & 22 Caliber". Personally, I'd prefer a smoked ham or smoked duck shoot.
  5. grashopper

grashopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, anyone know what those tires are on the "other" blue GS. Tread pattern looks appealing to me :hmmmmm
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The rider is a lurker here. Perhaps he will let us know, either directly or indirectly. They look like Mitas E-07, though.
    Shaggie likes this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Making Jump Snow: I rode by the VT ski jump again the other day. It had the only snow in town. The nights are cold enough to make snow.

[​IMG]

Went in for a closer look.

[​IMG]

I guess it is jumpable.
    The Opa, TheAdmiral, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool to see something like that. Reminds me of the ABC Wide World of Sports opening theme jingle. Pretty sure anyone who didn't grow up with a Black & White TV won't know what I'm talking about unless they google it. haha. I have used that jingle in a couple of my videos. Old age eh?:lol3
    popscycle, jeickerman and The Opa like this.
  9. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:

:imaposer Now that's funny! When I saw John's photo it immediately reminded me of when in the early '70s my wife and I took a 3 day pass to Garmisch. While there we watched that very 'agony of defeat' ski jump in use..........

AT NIGHT! :eek2
    popscycle and TheAdmiral like this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Small world. I have seen the same jump and ski'd Garmish in 84 or 85. You know it, I can't remember which year but lucky to have narrowed it down.
    popscycle and The Opa like this.
  11. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't imagine going off that! Or who'd be using it at this time of year!
    popscycle likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ice Out: Surface ice is now gone from most ponds and streams, like the one below that feeds a larger pond.

[​IMG]

We're looking at 60+ degrees on Monday. :D
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    With 65 degree weather coming Monday, neither can we.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    One Year Ago Today: One year ago today, we were weathering the frustration of dealing with both snow and a once-great, but now less-than-ccompetent, builder and dangerously incompetent subcontractors (i.e., the plumbers), The builder was almost a year late putting up the carriage house we were to live in. The old homestead had been sold and we'd invested in this as our retirement home and a means to stay connected with the kids.

[​IMG]

Taken on 3/8/2019, the picture above is of a comedic drama of missteps and errors, not to mention deception. Poignant are the memories of the carpenter who spent more time trying to preach the gospel than working, the "helper" who'd regularly wander off and go missing, plumbers who had trouble getting pipes not to leak or blow up. Especially memorable were the days when the newly-plastered kitchen ceiling came down and the sewage pump overflowed shit the basement because wood was left in the tank and the alarm/shutoff wasn't installed.

Well, it is a year later, we survived and are probably a little stronger for it, the place did get finished to our satisfaction, there's no snow, tomorrow is supposed to be 65 to 70 degrees, the bike has fresh fluids and is running well and the old joints/bones/parts are still working to a reasonable degree.
  15. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you persevered, happy riding!
    popscycle likes this.
  16. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Couple planes from yesterday's Tailspin Ale Fest, held at a local small airport. 400+ beers and some 200 breweries present.
    20200307_202823119_iOS (2).jpg 20200307_202906343_iOS (2).jpg
    NxtGoRnd, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you. We aged a bit, got through it and look forward to the days we have left to get out and go.
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Beer pairs well with airplanes if/when you're not the pilot. Looks like you had a great day and we appreciate your letting us know about this. Am looking for any ride reports on your adventure as I type this.
    Shaggie likes this.
  19. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    There was no riding yesterday - other than lyft into and out of the beer fest. Blew the dust out of the exhaust today for a while testing new camera positions, mostly stuff around town. Next overnighter is coming up mid April.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Target Is Pizza: It was that other GS rider, Paul, who told me about the pizza. He said it was good and that I should go and try a sliice. He said it was a potato and bacon pizza. He didn't tell me it they put broccoli on it, which is what I found when I grabbed a slice on the way home yesterday. Picture of said slice is below with background tabletop masked out.

[​IMG]
    As a general rule, anything with potatos and bacon can't be all bad. One of my best and favorite dishes is a bacon, potato, onion and pepper skillet. The broccoli did, however, give me pause but it turned out to be good. Said slice was procured in the store below.

[​IMG]

There's a neat little, hole-in-the-wall pizza place at the far door on the right. We'll be going back for a more formal report soon. One slice should not be the basis for an opinion.
    Shaggie, bluestar, B10Dave and 2 others like this.