Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. st2sam

st2sam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been enjoying your thread for to long without saying thanks.:thumb

I got out for the first warm ride this year (no heat needed) saw this, I thought of you.

IMG_0522_crop.jpg

Can you guess where?
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pic of that FP7, @st2sam and we're happy to hear you are enjoying the thread! Also, those of us who have the notrain-20 virus thank you. As for location, would it be Honesdale, PA?
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. st2sam

st2sam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are correct. :thumbup
    I had a pretty good feeling you would know.
    IMG_0523_crop.jpg

I'm 10min. from Scranton and close to Honesdale, if you get out this way (again) make sure you PM me.
    KMichael, zookster and popscycle like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the train pic(s). I will be sure to let you know if I get out your way. Between Honesdale and Scranton (i.e., Steamtown). there's good pickings for rail fans. Out my way, if you want to see any power, the best spot may be the PA/NS yard in Deerfield, MA but, like most spots, you'll have to hang around a bunch to see anything move. I stop by there regularly going to/from home and most days this is what you see from the bridge.

[​IMG]

With a good telephoto lens, though, you can get pics of action in the yard. Zooming in on the power units back in the yard above, I did get this:

[​IMG]

There's action in the CSX intermodal yard in Worcester MA, but getting there isn't a relaxing ride.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    EDIT NOTE: This crazy old fart rode nearly 200 miles to re-sample the pizza and check out the store. Thunderstruck may be too strong a word but it's close. Report to follow as soon as I get the pics converted.
    zookster likes this.
  6. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    If you're ever in the area of your favorite raspberry Danish but want lunch or dinner: There is a Pizza House up the road. Terrible pizza. But, surprisingly good fried seafood meals on Thursday and Friday. It's in an old white train depot.
    If you've never been to the Steaming Tender in Palmer, you would greatly appreciate the location and décor. I'm not sure how the food is. If you go, don't miss the photos in the men's room.
    popscycle likes this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Ashfield Twofer: I am too far down life's road to be thunderstruck about much of anything but the return ride to Ashfield, MA came close. The first ride was based on advice GS rider Paul gave. We stopped and had a slice of potato, broccoli and bacon pizza that was surprisingly very good. You might think that would make an awful topping (I did). It didn't look all that tasty at first glance. Well, that potato/brocolli/bacon concoction wasn't the best slice I'd ever eaten but it was up there. Since a sample of one does not a trend make, a second visit was in the cards. It didn't take long for the idea to take root. The redhead came out the next morning.

[​IMG]

We boogied west on the Mohawk Trail and made it to Ashfield right around noon, which is the perfect time to eat pizza. My mother, God rest her soul, thought breakfast was a good time for a slice or two. Anyhow, weather was good with temps in the 60s and some folks were eating on the porch. The pizza place is the last door on the right. It's called Country Pie.

[​IMG]

Taking serious note of the hardware store, we went in to the pizza place.

[​IMG]

They had a delicious looking meat and onion pie that had come out of the oven. Below is an iPhone pic of that scrumptious bit of repast (with tablecloth background masked out).

[​IMG]
    Without any doubt, this was the best slice of pizza that I can remember eating and I've been around a good bit over the decades. Fully sated, I went next door to take in the hardware store, which turned out to be another "top of the chart" stop.

[​IMG]

The hardware store was very much an old time general store, complete with wooden floors, a stove and a plethora of sundry, as well as hardware, items. I spent some delightful time chatting with the owners, who've been in business here for a good number of years - about 20 I think. It is definitely worth a visit and the perfect antidote to mindless internet and chain stores. As days go, this day was better than a twofer. It was a threefer - a great 200 mile ride, another great slice and a great store. It is all located at coordinates 42.526960, -72.794254.

Edit Note: Found a video of the store on YouTube. I've no affiliation with or interest in that enterprise.

KMichael, franken, Shaggie and 8 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I am familiar with the old white train depot across from the mill but have never eaten there. When hungry in that neck of the woods, we make a bee-line to Cindy and Glenn's place for a sandwich and some danish. I am familiar with the train station in Palmer, which is now the Steaming Tender restaurant. Have eaten there twice. Wasn't bad, wasn't great - just average fare.

If you have a little time to spare waiting around, you can see some railroad movement. Below are some (more) of the pics I've taken in past years. Once, I was lucky enough to get two CSX units highballiing through the diamond.

[​IMG]

At times, you can see NECR or Mass Central (MC) moving freight cars to and from the CSX line. Below is a MC power unit shuttling cars.

[​IMG]

On the other side of the station is the NECR line, which is now owned by and showing the livery of Genesee & Wyoming.

[​IMG]

In the last year or two, I haven't had the time to hang around waiting for something to roll by. There is one train you can count on keeping a somewhat regular schedule - the Amtrak Lake Shore Limted that used to roll by around 3:00 to 3:30 PM outbound from Boston.

[​IMG]

Hopefully, I will have more hanging around time this summer; however, I probably won't be eating at the Steaming Tender. More likely is a ride on to Ashfield for pizza.
    KMichael, CamoColton, Shaggie and 6 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    No Tunnel For You: Having devoured what I thought was the best slice of pizza ever, the redhead and I were in the vicinity of the Hoosac Tunnel. The tunnel had been closed by a partial wall collapse and I was interested to see if there way any traffic or activity. Just as I was about to turn west on the Mohawk Trail, there was a line of stationary autoracks on the line that ran to the tunnel. Having seen a bunch of these in the same sport days earlier, a stop seemed appropriate.

[​IMG]

Hopping off the bike for a closer look, the cars seemed to be the same group of UP autoracks seen previously.

[​IMG]

Given that (1) this didn't seem like the best place to park a gaggle of auto cars and (2) we'd not seen stuff parked here in past years; the brain concluded that trains probably weren't going through the tunnel at present. Having also heard MEC/NS were drilling test bores in the ceiling of the tunnel to test the possibility of enlarging it for double stack intermodals, I turned back east instead of going to the nearby tunnel. Hoosac will be a later day excuse to pass by my new-favorite pizza place. We are led to believe train/tunnel pics may be hard to come by given (1) a downturn in carloads and (2) the trend for fewer but longer consists. Also, the current Wuhan virus panic may have some downstream impact on train orders.
    KMichael, B10Dave, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    New Motorcycle Accessory? The kids thought this was a good idea for all of us and paid for it. Funny thing is, I ordered it before all the 24/7 virus brouhaha. Serendipity? Anyway, today seemed like a good day to finally assemble the thing in the basement, which was a relatively easy 10 step process. Aside from being a health and longevity aid, I think may also be a useful motorcycle accessory.

[​IMG]

Each year, the Advil-free distance I can ride gets a little shorter and I was led to believe this could slow, if not arrest the decline for a while. We are about to find out and will report back on this. With it did immediately was show how out of shape I am.
    KMichael, B10Dave, zookster and 5 others like this.
  11. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure of your age or what malady hinders your riding, but I will share my experience. 2 years ago, I had terrible carpal tunnel syndrome to the point that surgery was recommended and riding meant taking my hands off the bars and flailing them about in order to regain feeling, every 5 minutes or so. My riding has also been complicated by arthritis in my neck.
    Last June, my wife and I tried the "Whole 30" diet. In July, I rode 3300 miles in 8 days without any carpal tunnel symptoms and very little discomfort from arthritis. That was with temperature extremes from 100 degrees to 50 and soaked from rain, with some vicious crosswinds a couple days. I've never dieted before in my life but I recommend trying it.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your success. Back when I was in my late 50s and early 60s, I could do 600 mile days but those times disappeared when I flew past 70.

[​IMG]

Back then, my Goldfwings used to kill my back by the end of the day but they were the only thing the wife would get on with me. The GS made the back happy but age is attacking other parts. The good news is I can still do 250 miles and look forward to improving on that with exercise.
    KMichael, B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and 6 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Victory At Catching Nothing Moving: As you may know, we excel at chasing trains and finding them not moving, whether on a siding or in some yard. Once in a while, we're fortunate to find a (relatively) rare unit out in the wild away from its home line. Such was the case the other day.

[​IMG]

The unusual power unit was the Housatonic GP35 sitting in the Pan Am yard. The zoom lens went out into the yard to look it over more carefully.

[​IMG]

The Housatonic Railroad is a Class III line with around 160 miles of track operating in western MA, western CT and lower NY.
    KMichael, B10Dave, jeickerman and 5 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding - Village Views and Small City Scenes 1: One of the benefits of this site is being able to share what you see with others when out riding. As a practice, I often take a pic or two of the surrounding area when I stop and get off the bike for whatever reason (e.g., food, hydration, stretching, etc.). There follows some more recent of these shots. The first of these below is a small village that used to have its own tiny, one room post office. That's now gone.

[​IMG]

These old churches used to be the center of a village's social scene.

[​IMG]

The town below is pretty much strung along this one road. Notice the old inn and hotel on the left side of the street. Now apartments, it was once a major stage stop.

[​IMG]

More to follow as I get them converted.
    KMichael, B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and 5 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Just When You Thought Spring Was Right Around The Corner: I went to bed last night thinking Friday might bring 70 degree weather, as was predicted. I woke up this morning, peeked out front and saw this crap.

[​IMG]

Snow in late March or early April is not unusual and spring really s right around the corner, but snow is not what most of us want to see right now. It is really not a big deal but does give us something else to bitch about.
    KMichael, B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and 4 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding - Village Views and Small City Scenes 2: Whenever I stop and get off the bike for any reason (e.g., food, hydration, stretching, etc.), I often take a pic or two of the surrounding area There follows some more recent of these shots, the first of which contains a really old house well maintained.

[​IMG]

Below is an old town hall/church building.

[​IMG]

That large old building in the background is a fixer-upper that can be had.

[​IMG]

Below is a view of an old mill village along the banks of the CT River.

[​IMG]

More to follow as I get them converted.
    KMichael, B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and 4 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    That Didn't Last Long: No sooner had we found a new favorite riding stop (i.e., a super general store + best pizza I can remember), than the China virus panic closed the pizza place (along with all my other eating places).

[​IMG]

The irony is that there were more folks in the general store than I ever say in the pizza place. Let's hope they end this stupid, IMHO, quarantine before riding season gets underway. I also hope the stores don't go under.
    EMTNEK, KMichael, NxtGoRnd and 4 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Harbinger Of Spring: With all of the bad economic news coming 24/7, the flowers on my table today suggested spring renewal.

[​IMG]

Spring, like flowers, will refresh things.
    KMichael, B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and 5 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Finally Found Something Moving In The Yard: Caught a Harsco Tamper and a hi-rail moving into the yard.

[​IMG]

It was better than nothing, if not by much. So, I got off the bike and waited a bit to see if this little bit of movement was a one-off or a trend.

[​IMG]

After about 15 minutes of hanging around hydrating and stretching, the yard went back to its zombie state and I left.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, zookster and 2 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Still Chasing Trains: Caught another that showed promise. Arriving at the yard, I caught sight of this NS trio that sounded like it was throttling up and jumped off the bike for a pic.

[​IMG]

I moved in for a better pic.

[​IMG]

After taking the above pic, it became clear that the trio was decoupled from the cars. It pulled forward about 10 ft. or so and just sat there. It looked like one of the trainmen was fiddling with the coupler. After several minutes of watching that, I left. Now, I love watching trains but riding beats watching nothing moving.
    KMichael, B10Dave, jeickerman and 3 others like this.