Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    The only splash of color in that top picture is your GS.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    With Some Reservation: I hadn't been by to notice the place in six years. Back then, the building on the property wasn't at its best, as shown in the 4/27/2014 pic below.

[​IMG]

Cruising by the other day, I did a double take, stopped, grabbed the camera out of the tank bag and took the pic below without getting off the bike. The place looked like it was being kept up.

[​IMG]

We are speaking of a site of some historical repute, as evidenced by the sign on the property. It is located at coordinates 42.211012, -71.704659.

[​IMG]

As previously stated here, this area was originally inhabited by a tribe of Nipmuc Indians and was called Hassanamisco or "place of small stones." Around 1671, an English missionary (John Eliot) established a church and Indian school, thus the reference to the "praying Indian town" in the sign above. Around 1724, 39 men and 1 woman petitioned the General Court to purchase 7,500 acres of land from this group of Indians. In 1735., a town was established and named "Grafton" after the Duke of Grafton (Charles Fitzroy). Fitzroy was the illegitimate son of England's King Charles II.

Thus, the connection between Nipmuc Indians, some illegitimate royal, an old rider and information in this thread. We note this with some reservation.
    klaviator, bluestar, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Miata Saves My Bacon From COVID Effect and Main Street Auto Saves Miata's Bacon: One of the effects of the COVID virus has been an economic shutdown that, in turn, has led to an increase in the number, size and depth of potholes not being repaired. Well, I was in the Miata with the non-pillion wife when a stealthy, deep pothole almost took out the front end of the car. The two, right-side rims were severely bent and alignment was destroyed but the front end lived to fight again. I was able to drive home but it was like riding over a continuous series of small speed-bumps. With the route having been planned for a bike ride, had the redhead hit that pothole, we'd have been in a world of hurt.

I took the Miata to the dealer where they wanted nearly $1,500 for two new rims, let alone do any tire swapping, alignment and balancing. No way was that going to happen. By chance, I remembered a garage some towns north that had Miatas sitting around. Gave them a call and then stopped by for them to look at rims and, viola, they worked me in even though being short handed. They happened to have the exact rims for the car from their stockpile of salvaged Miata parts.

[​IMG]

Bottom line: The car now handles like a dream again and the total cost was about a quarter of what the dealer would have charged. Kudos to Main Street Auto for their stellar service. They are located at coordinates 42.422154, -71.687736 should your MX be in the area and ever need service. The garage is also a major sponsor of the Mass Miata Club.

Once again I must admonish young, whippersnapper riders on the benefits of adding a Miata to your stable when you get older and/or when your partner can no longer ride pillion. You get handling that's almost as fun as the bike and wind in your face with supplemental heat/AC or rain protection if you want/need it. Also, "gearing up" to ride means just getting dressed.
    klaviator, zookster, bluestar and 6 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding - A Dead End Road:

[​IMG]

Combined pic.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chasing Spring Is Exactly What I Did: I rode back to Montague to check out the mill on the Sawmill River - a Bookmill redux. The redhead was parked up by the road and I walked down. The place was deserted except for one person on the deck reading.

[​IMG]

I walked on down further and took the same shot that was taken at the same spot at the same time of the year some years back.

[​IMG]

By comparison, the trees are a little behind this year. It's been cold and we are looking at another cold spell this weekend.
    klaviator, bluestar, franken and 6 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    He's Not Home: A ride-by pic of Cosby's place up in the hills above the Deerfield River.

[​IMG]

I think the place is in her name, not his, now.
    klaviator, bluestar, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding: Springtime view looking down a bucolic street with nary a moving car or person in sight.

[​IMG]

You could have lain down in the middle of the street to take a nap. There's a super-prestigious prep school about a mile on down the road that normally makes for a good bit of car and foot traffic. I happened to park the redhead in front of an old house that dates back to 1754.

[​IMG]

I can't remember if I'd ever posed the redhead with this old place or not. If so, apologies. If not, you should know that the original owners of this place farmed and raised cattle to be driven into Boston for slaughter.
    klaviator, bluestar, Shaggie and 7 others like this.
  8. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen In Our Wetlands: The waterfowl are back, crapping and cruising.

[​IMG]

And the swans are on the nest down the street.

[​IMG]

Just about anywhere you ride around here, you're going to see a pond, marsh, lake or bog.

[​IMG]

Due to the work of mother nature, past mill owners and ever-present beavers; a good bit of water has been dammed up.
    klaviator, bluestar, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: The good: We're alive and well with many blessings and the trees and flowers a blooming. The bad: Temps are in the high 30s and it is damp and windy, which will mess up any weekend riding. The Ugly: It is snowing.

[​IMG]

This iPhone pic was taken about 10 minutes minutes ago. Good thing I've a book delivery today (including some @Shaggie recommended) as I am on the last 20 pages or so of the very last of the available Jack Reacher novels (the newest is on backorder, though).
    klaviator, bluestar, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  11. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been stung by a mosquito, cut grass, and now this within a week.

Lord give me strength.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  12. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    We can only hope that the cold snap cuts down on the mosquito and black fly population that seemed to be getting off to a healthy start.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thinking back on this day, I remembered a particularly outstanding May 9 back in 2015. Instead of 40 degree temps, snow flurries and high winds, it was sunny, green and warm. R2 and I were rooting around in a trolley junk yard.

[​IMG]

Now that was some good May springtime adventure. By contrast, today's riding climate sucked.
    klaviator, bluestar, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  14. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A year ago I had picked up my KTM 690, and a year before that I have pictures of my KLR on an abandoned RR bed. Sad times indeed. My Super Tenere has been barely out this year so far on any appreciable rides - the thumpers I ride extremely locally.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Three Bridges In May: Prior to this current bit of May meteorological motorcycling mayhem (i.e., social shutdown, freezing temps, high winds, snow), I did get out long enough to cross or pass by some bridges. The first of these is my all-time favorite, the 1882-built, Bardwells Ferry bridge where the planks rattle like they are coming loose. Just thinking about crossing this one makes me smile.

[​IMG]

Another is the old 1889, Mineral Road Bridge, shown below, over Millers River. Closed to vehicle traffic, you can walk or bike across it. I didn't bother to walk down but just took the pic while sitting on the redhead. Back in the 18th and 19th century, this road was called the Old Stage Road and was a major, interstate trade route. Traces of an old sawmill can be seen near the mouth of the river, which is just to the right of the bridge below and empties into the CT.

[​IMG]

The last of these is the 1931 French King bridge across the CT River, taken on the road below.

[​IMG]

For specifics, more detail on these bridges can be found in Bridgehunter.
    klaviator, bluestar, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Spring Water: You cannot ride very far around here without running into water in one form or another, be it lakes, ponds, streams, brooks or rivers. The sight and sound of water is a mind-cleansing and refreshing aspect of springtime riding. Below are some pics taken while out riding this month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    black 8, klaviator, bluestar and 6 others like this.
  17. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Rusty gold.
    popscycle likes this.
  18. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am honoured!!

What did you order?
    S
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rankin's Knots and Crosses, along with two other books (one by Nelson DeMille and the other by Robert Crais). These books, coupled with the charity CNC work I do, has helped alleviate no-riding pains stemming from with bad weather and lockouts. Fortunately, we are only locked out (of places) but not down.
    klaviator and Shaggie like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rusty old RR-related rides are up there with the best. I remember this old roundhouse.

[​IMG]
    KMichael, black 8, klaviator and 4 others like this.