Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Nice Little Waterfall: I like to ride by this place ever several years when heading to the northern part of the state and beyond. It's called Trap Falls.

[​IMG]

The falls is located at coordinates 42.672420, -71.775996, which is just a very short walk into the woods off Rt. 119 (Townsend Road) in Ashby, MA.

[​IMG]

Being very easy to get to, this is a great spot to stop, stretch and have lunch. Through the normal work week, the falls is relatively quiet and people-free. On weekends and holidays, not so much.
    Shaggie, KMichael, bluestar and 9 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It's Water, Dam It: In early new England, if there was good water flowing, someone or something was going dam it up sooner or later. Aside from beavers, who were first and still at it, people built dams to power sawmills, grist mills, woolen mills and, later, hydro power plants. In thinking about this, I've taken pictures of various dams while out riding this month. The first of these is what's left of an early, wooden crib dam that backed up water for a mill.

[​IMG]

Wooden crib dams were replaced with concrete, many of which have been updated if not torn down.

[​IMG]

The dam below has been updated but given the appearance of an old stone dam with a rock facade.

[​IMG]

Then there's the ever-present, old industrial areas with multiple dams and structures built over the river.

[​IMG]

More dams to follow if and when I happen to ride by them.
    zookster, Massabusa, NxtGoRnd and 8 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Going IFR And Finding An Unusual Chevy: We had beautiful weather the other day with clear skies and temps in 70s, during which I was happily riding IFR (I follow rivers). On such trips, I am loathe to stop and take pictures but the road was worthy of a pic - no traffic, greening trees and a roaring brook.

[​IMG]

It was somewhere around here that something caught my eye, causing the redhead to slow down and do a 180 once the image registered on my road-focused brain. The thing was an unusually-bundled old truck.

[​IMG]

This was the first Chevrolet fire truck I had ever seen, being conditioned to such brands as Mack, American LaFrance and the like. It makes sense that the (once) big three auto makers (i.e., Ford, GM and Chrysler) would field fire truck offerings back in the day.

[​IMG]

What struck me as unusual was they way someone had covered the truck - bottom up rather than top down. Among the infinite number of things I've never seen, this was another.

[​IMG]

It looks like the covering would trap water after a good rainfall. Is this some weird anti-theft effort? Perhaps others can offer ideas as to why you'd cover your old fire truck from the bottom up.
    zookster, NxtGoRnd, KMichael and 7 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Grist Of The Ride: I passed by this old grist mill the other day. In trying to respect the "Keep Off" nature of the grounds, I parked by the edge of the road to get the redhead in the picture.

[​IMG]

Below is a better picture of the structure that, based on some quick research, dates back to around 1735. Known as the Spaulding Grist Mill, it supposedly operated until the 1920s. It is known to be still operable but under repair.

[​IMG]

The mill is located at coordinates 42.652611, -71.671961.
    Shaggie, zookster, NxtGoRnd and 5 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When You Positively Have To See What's Around The Bend: When certain physical needs causes you to duck into places, you may get the urge to see what's farther down the trail or around the corner. Such was this stop yesterday.

[​IMG]

The place just begs you to ride on and once down the road a bit, you stop to get a pic or two of what you find.

[​IMG]

Nothing but the backside of an old mill.

[​IMG]

Not exactly exciting urbex but interesting, nonetheless. Makes for a good pic or two, if not just a fun ride.
    Shaggie, zookster, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling; can't seem to pass by an abandoned structure without analyzing it ... and exploring it, if at all possible.
    B10Dave, popscycle and black 8 like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yup, it seems those old abandoned structures make for the most interesting rides, and perhaps pics.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, black 8, zookster and 6 others like this.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Incredible perspective! The picture is filled with so much uniqueness, that the brain is stimulated into overdrive while processing such a surreal scene. These are the type of pictures that I appreciate the most, as they break through the mundane and create a natural dopamine high. Great find and effort!
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding: I happened by this (seemingly) empty, unusual little house. I use the word unusual because it has that "second empire", mansard style architecture typical of larger homes built by more wealthy folks after the civil war.

[​IMG]

As you probably know, the point of the mansard roof is to squeeze a full floor of living space above the cornice of the building and thus (perhaps) avoid taxes associated with having another story. The mansard roof is attributed to the 17th-century French architect Francois Mansart (1598-1666). Although not as pretentious as, say, an outhouse in the Greek-revival style, this little manse tried hard to be a hoity-toity. Cute place, though.
    Shaggie, GAS GUY, Massabusa and 8 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    What Is A Big Dam Like You Doing On A Little River Like This? Sometimes they build dams that don't normally dam up a stream or river. We rode across one the other day and stopped for a quick look..

[​IMG]

You don't see much water as it normally doesn't dam up the small river (i.e., the Ware River) that it sits on. Water flows into the upstream side of the dam and out the downstream side.

[​IMG]

Built by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1958, the dam is 69 ft. high and 3,215 ft. wide. Built for flood control in 1958 and was used once that I know of to impound flood waters. Looking left (west) from the motorcycle you can see it is an earthen/stone dam.

[​IMG]

Below is the view looking east (to the right).

[​IMG]

The east side of the dam has a picnic pavilion you can rent or, if you prefer, just use the grass. The structure is located at coordinages 42.427986, -72.025379.
    Shaggie, KMichael, Massabusa and 8 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Things I Took Pictures Of This Week: One was this old church.

[​IMG]

Another was a really nice old extended colonial home.

[​IMG]

More to follow. Am a little short on time to convert right now.
    Shaggie, Massabusa, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Picture Of Happy: It was late but it got here. Spring, that is.

[​IMG]

Happy = (good bike) + (whole day free, no place to be) + (temps at 70) + (no major aches/pains) + (little/no traffic)
    Shaggie, zookster, GAS GUY and 6 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Busman's Holiday: This morning, I happened to run into these three rail fans during an unusual encounter. Three things were, for me, unusual.

[​IMG]

The first unusual thing was catching two trains moving about during one stop, one NECR and the other CSX. When the norm is seeing nothing moving, catching one is a big deal but two is unheard of. Train Gods were smiling - a lot. The second thing was seeing a consist with four power units. Also not a normal thing, seeing three is a rarity . The third unusual thing was that the three rail fans were all railroad engineers, young and old, who enjoy photographing trains outside of work. They all seemed enthusiastic and loving their job. The more senior engineer was the most enthusiastic of all. They bumped up my enthusiasm and I took a lot of pictures of all of this.
    Shaggie, GAS GUY, CamoColton and 6 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Look At Some Carriage Houses: Having had some excellent riding over the last week, I covered some ground and happend across three old houses, now empty, with attached carriage houses. Always a fan of carriage house structures, I took these pictures, the first of which is a traditional 1700s colonial.

[​IMG]

Just down the road a bit was another, less traditional home with an attached carriage house. Shown below, I am guessing this one dates to the 1800s. Note that it does not have either a cupola or a door to load hay - at least not in the front. .

[​IMG]

Both of the above seemed empty and abandoned. The third, however, was in great shape, empty and for sale as a business property. Were the place not now surrounded by city, it would have make a great farm estate home for someone with a good bit of coin in his or her purse.

[​IMG]

Typically these carriage houses were large enough to house multiple carriages, horses, tack, and hay. They also often had adjoining room(s) for household staff (or family) who tended barn and house chores.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, zookster and 5 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Halcyon Day: As I type this looking back on the day, Several things stand out. One was the weather. It was our first 80 degree day with conditions hard to beat. When I started out, the thermometer said 65. When I pull in a bit ago, it was 81. Second, this was the first time in a long while that I could take a 200 mile ride without any Advil. Third, I dug out the old pocket camera the other day and made it part of the kit so I could take pics on the move with minimal interference to minding the controls. The secret is a wrist strap that I can quickly put my hand into to quickly pull it out and take a pic but also immediately grab the front brake/throttle if necessary without dropping the camera. Virtually all of today's pics, such as the one below, were taken with the little Cybershot, saving the big dog for when I get off the bike (which I am loathe to do on a day like today)

[​IMG]

I will post some of today's pics, taken along the Mohawk (Trail), in the near future. Although in JPEG form rather than RAW, they take a little more processing due to jpeg noise and sometimes schizoid nature of the little camera's auto exposure behavior. As always, these pics are never about me, but about what I see when riding about.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, zookster and 4 others like this.
  16. dc_ok

dc_ok n00b

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed the pictures and good to see that you were out and in good weather. But I don’t understand

You don't see much water as it normally doesn't dam up the small river (i.e., the Ware River) that it sits on. Water flows into the downstream side of the dam and out the upstream side.

Dwight
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dwight, in my typing haste, I mixed upstream and downstream. As you know, water flows up to the dam on the upstream side and out the toe drain outfall on the downstream side. Many thanks for pointing that out.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some Common Structures: I rode by this old town common some days ago and took a few pictures. This historic district dates back to the 1600s. Immediately below is the old town meeting hall.

[​IMG]

Rigfht behind meeting hall is the old town animal pound, which was used to secure stray farm animals.

[​IMG]

Of course, the redhead had to pose by the old town hall.

[​IMG]

The common is surrounded by bucolic old residential buildings and burying ground. One Benton MacKaye, who is supposedly the father of the Appalachian Trail, called this area his home even though he traveled a lot. Also from this area was Earl Tupper, who founded the Tupperware company.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.572479, -71.649177, this common should make for great postcard-type pictures in fall or winter.
    Shaggie, B10Dave, bluestar and 4 others like this.
  19. dc_ok

dc_ok n00b

Oddometer:
    Well you provided a good moment of looking at a map. There is a river in Germany that does reverse flow I believe at high tides so strange things are possible. I enjoyed it.

Dwight
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    You said a mouthful right there. All true, of course. It's nice when a plan comes together!
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.