Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess the good news is that if your geese are hanging around on the ground, they won't be dive-bombing your ride. Some of the geese around here act more like this:

KMichael, black 8, drbuzzard and 3 others like this.
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I'm always telling my cat as he flings himself at the windows that he doesn't want to tangle with a Canada Goose.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Structures 4: Below are several more, newly-converted pictures of various structures we've ridden by from past to present. The first of these below is an old Shaker dormitory that now appears to be an apartment house.

[​IMG]

By contrast, below is a nearby Shaker home, also currently occupied. I am guessing the stone posts are to keep snow plows or other road critters on the straight and narrow.

[​IMG]

Below is a really old structure - a 1674 dogtrot. The picture was taken some years back so I don't know if the token effort to save it (i.e., covering the roof) has worked or if the place has collapsed.

[​IMG]

Below is another old structure - the 1831 Adams grist mill, which is fully-intact and operable . If you are ever in Bellows Falls, VT, and like old mills, you don't want to miss this one.

[​IMG]

In the spirit of industrial structures, below is a set of old factory buildings across the street from the main L S Starrett plant (maker of machine and measuring tools). These buildings actually sit on a bridge over the Millers River and probably are or were part of the Starrett complex.

[​IMG]

Another industrial plant shown below is what's left of the once-great American Optical (AO). Most of the now-defunct AO structures have been torn down. Perhaps the more senior among you remember 70mm Todd-AO movies like Oklahoma, Cleopatra, Sound of Music, etc.

[​IMG]

A lot of these older industrial complex structures were built along or on/across rivers. More to follow.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Turkey Lurking: There's a couple of them hanging out back these days. This one was lounging in the shade this afternoon.

[​IMG]

Tom was all relaxed until this gal came strolling up to him.

[​IMG]

That's when Tom went the other way.

[​IMG]

We're happy to have them - they eat ticks and mites.
    GAS GUY, NxtGoRnd, franken and 5 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Remembering When The Dead Had Some Life: I happened across this older, previously-unconverted pic of happier times in the RR yard when things moved. As it makes for a decent RR scene, I thought to post it.

[​IMG]

At present, the yard is as quiet as a cemetery and just as dead. It seems whenever I swing by lately there's one or two NS units, probably part of the PAS pact, idling by the operations trailer with nary a person, car or truck in sight.

[​IMG]

I swore I'd quite stopping by there but the pull is still strong but I do wonder if Pan Am can survive.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Structures 5: Below are several more, newly-converted pictures of various structures we've ridden by from past to present. The first of this group is a balcony view of an old mill that once built fabric mill machinery.

[​IMG]

Below is a Warren deck truss railroad bridge. This structure dates back to the late 1800s, but may have been rebuilt or rehabilitated since.

[​IMG]

Below is an older mill tenement block that is probably now apartments. Three story brick tenement structures were less common than the typical two story wooden row houses.

[​IMG]

Below is a newer MBTA station on its line coming out of North Station in Boston. The line is also sometimes used by Pan Am to and from Maine. Neither Pan Am nor the MBTA are what you'd call world class railroads.

[​IMG]

Below is a mill dam I stopped at. I think it was in CT.

[​IMG]

Below is another, deserted old mill structure.

[​IMG]

More to follow as time allows.
    B10Dave, NxtGoRnd, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Great Train Riding Moments: We are, of course, referring to riding the motorcycle and catching trains in the process. There was a time not too long ago when you could ride the Mohawk trail, see a train and then beat feet ahead to a good photo spot. Such were the following moments at two favorite train photo spots. The first is by the old station in Erving.

[​IMG]

Below is at the junction of PA and P&W in Gardner.

[​IMG]

You'd have to spend a lot of time waiting around to find anything moving at these spots right now. Here's hoping to and working for better economic times.
    B10Dave, NxtGoRnd, CamoColton and 4 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I was poking around the archives, trying to find pics from the last time I was up the PDR on that bridge. I found this one and am posting to remind others that this is a great place to stop and enjoy the beauty and/or pose your steed for a "bike on the bridge" photo.

[​IMG]

The Green River bridge is another spot in great need of revisiting. Finding this pic will probably send me into Garmin Bascamp later today to map out a route up to the bridge and then west on the stage road into the Green Mtns. The bridge is located on the Jacksonville Stage Road at coordinates 42.775497, -72.667193.
    B10Dave, NxtGoRnd, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Lurking Turkey Takes Over The Bath: Our resident turkey has commandeered the bird bath where he or she likes to spend afternoons of late.

[​IMG]

It seems every time I show up in the yard, the turkey has to come out and sit atop the fixture. Given the presence of the chickens and turkeys, it's no wonder we're seeing coyotes running though the yard.
    B10Dave, NxtGoRnd, franken and 4 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Fathers' Day Road: Below is a picture of my ideal, Fathers' Day type of road - hard pack gravel and sand, follows rivers through forests with nary another vehicle to be seen or heard.

[​IMG]

With a little good fortune and thanks to the PDR reminder from @guywithchickens, I will cross that very stretch of road later today and return with some pics. May your road today put a smile on your face also!
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Headed For Some Vermont Gravel Today: We were up and out the door at the most reasonable hour of 8:45 this morning, heading for the wilds of backroads Vermont. Traffic starting out was light.

[​IMG]

Folks were out washing their bait early, though. This bridge is a popular fishing spot.

[​IMG]

Down the road a bit (i.e., Rt. 140) is this cafe that I've never understood. Usually quite busy on Sunday mornings, neither the service nor the food was worth wring home about but they were always overflowing until the virus came along. Now open, you no longer have to fight the crowd. The social distancing while eating outside seems to have reduced that.

[​IMG]

Once past that, it's mostly quiet, backroads countryside, complete with a plethora of wetlands and ponds.

[​IMG]

Lots of pics to process, more to follow.
    zookster, B10Dave, bluestar and 6 others like this.
  12. Gs-Solitude

Gs-Solitude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice tagging along with you today!
    popscycle likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It was nice having you check in here. A lot more to follow. Be safe on the road!
    Gs-Solitude likes this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A pic for your records.

[​IMG]
    zookster, KMichael and Gs-Solitude like this.
  15. CamoColton

CamoColton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to take some train pictures myself while going up to the Adirondacks this weekend. Might be stuff that plenty of people have already seen, but the first time I took a ride to check out rail equipment.

Next to the Union Station in Utica, NY:

IMG_4326.JPEG IMG_4327.JPEG

In the yard behind the station:

IMG_4328.JPEG
    I'm not sure the story on this RS-3 - it's no longer listed on Adirondack's website when you go to their roster. A local hobby shop (JR Junction Train & Hobby) has done special runs of this locomotive twice in O-Gauge (MTH), with Adirondack RR voice announcements. Sadly I missed out on it; all sold out.

IMG_4330.JPEG
    IMG_4331.JPEG

Up the line at Remson Depot is this static display:

IMG_4333.JPEG

This is their other RS-3 at the Thendara station just south of Old Forge, NY. This one is listed on their roster. Formerly did service in Kansas on a tourist railroad there according to pictures on RR Pictures Archive. (Found out MTH modeled this one. Have an order placed since I won't get a chance later with their coming closure. It won't have the ADIX specific announcements, but it's a locomotive "local" to me so still worth having running around my Christmas tree)

IMG_4338.JPEG IMG_4339.JPEG
    zookster, KMichael, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Outstanding pictures @CamoColton ! Those of us suffering from a train famine thank you greatly!
    KMichael, B10Dave, jeickerman and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Getting To Vermont Gravel: My Fathers' Day goal was to get to and ride some of Vermont's fine gravel roads up to the Green Mountains. The good stuff starts with the MA portion of the PDR and getting to that part with some dispatch means getting on the Mohawk Trail. After a leisurely stroll along some back roads, I got on Rt. 2 around the old mill town of Erving. The paper mill there is still operating but as a paper recycling operation. Erving is the town where some ladies painted the lovely old train station pink. Anyway, I got though the town without throwing up going past at that pink station candy store.

[​IMG]

Once past Erving, the road gets a little more scenic as it winds along Millers River on its way to the CT River.

[​IMG]

Just past the French King bridge over the CT River is the long-standing, A-J cycle shop. Although closed when I rode by, I am happy to see the small shop is still in operation. Once a BMW dealer, he now sells Moto-Guzzi and services both MG and BMW bikes. I think A-J lost his BMW franchise when BMW insisted its shops have more up-scale, and costly, signs, coffee bars and boutique space. Personally, I think BMW should do less Rodeo Drive and more woodland trail themes.

[​IMG]

The stepping off point for all that good gravel is the Eunice Williams covered bridge in Greenfield. It was here in 1704 where Eunice, weak from childbirth, was killed by natives when she was having difficulties trying to cross the river. Locals will tell you that they can sometimes hear her ghost screaming at night below the bridge.

[​IMG]

Just to the west of the bridge is Green River Road, which which facilitates a happy jaunt up into Vermont.

[​IMG]

Sometimes a little damp and slimy, the road was totally dry and hard all they up into VT. Having ridden this route right after a heavy rain, this run was a cake walk. There wasn't much loose gravel to put any wiggle into your ride and the pot holes weren't deep at all. The road was totally non-technical, which is what old bones like. The fun of these roads is the amount of focus, awareness and stimulation they engender and not any impending difficulties. More to follow.
    zookster, KMichael, bluestar and 4 others like this.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; looks like you had a good Fathers Day ride. I cut my grass and grocery shopped..:(..Had a nice ride on Saturday though. Rode up to the Lake Huron coastline and along it for quite a few miles. If you remember I posted a pic of my latest project and promised pics when it was done. Here it is with my BSA on it. I am changing the oil; changing all the bulbs to LED's; resealing the sump plate and installing an anti drain back valve to prevent wet sumping when not in use. Also the rear footpeg rubbers and shift lever rubber are now done. I still have to remove the front wheel to change the chrome trim plate for the proper one. One on it is the larger style from the previous year. Will be riding it tomorrow for the first time this season.

lift 018.jpg

lift 019.jpg

lift 020.jpg
    red bud, zookster, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Now that is way cool, Dave, aside from being handy and quite useful! Nicely done!!
    KMichael likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata - Backyard Scareturkey: Inanimate scarecrows aren't all that fearsome to critters wanting to lunch in your garden. By contrast, a fully-animated yard turkey does wonders scaring off the smaller critters that want to gather on or around your bird feeder. Our backyard turkey arrives at the feeder regularly and often, prompting all the squirrels to beat feet. Yesterday evening, one small red and one gray squirrel were last to scat.

[​IMG]

It is rather pleasant to sit out on the deck with a cold beer after a hot ride and watch this kind of action.