Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="popscycle, post: 40335820, member: 199850"

There was a viewing tower here many years ago. All that's left is a viewing platform. Regardless of what the sign says, this is nothing like Switzerland, little or not.

[​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

That's not the only place claiming to be America's Switzerland.

[​IMG]
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's not the only place claiming to be America's Switzerland.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    No contest, Ouray wins. The Hoosac Range in MA is nothing like the Swiss alpine regions.
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Swan's Gotta Boogie: From what I saw, the swan on the right kept trying to get up a head of steam, only to stop, look back and then try it all over again.

[​IMG]

Pic taken through foliage (i.e., the out-of-focus green stuff in the pic) yesterday on a short ride by the reservoir.
    franken, zookster, bluestar and 4 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Show Me Your Bike By A Curling Club: In the spirit of bikes by a bridge, plane, train, old structure, cafe, etc.; adding a curling club might make for a very short and uninteresting thread. Regardless, it is to that end that I make such a post.

[​IMG]

In stopping to take the picture, I wondered how many of these curling club facilities there were in the state. The answer is 14. NY has 17 and MN ha 33. The rest of the states are behind the curling curve on this. At this point, I should note that I was too lazy to ride up to the building and pose the redhead. The building isn't interesting and Y'all know what the GS looks like anyway.

[​IMG]

To me, curling looks like lazy shuffleboard on ice using stones instead of pucks and people with brooms who try to influence the stone's path down the ice. It might be fun but it is way more fun to directly influence a motorcycle's path down a road or trail. Also, the consequences of doing it badly differ greatly.
    zookster, bluestar, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Biker Bar Looking Upscale: Rode by one of the area's more notable biker bars this afternoon and noticed the pretty flowers out front. Maybe one bike out back. Might be the covid brouhaha is keeping the pirates at bay. I don't get by there much so I don't know if they're even open yet.

[​IMG]

I had a burger and a coke in there several years back. Friendly place but food wasn't memorable. Maybe it was because they were preparing for a funeral or, maybe, a wedding in there. I can't remember which.
    B10Dave, zookster, bluestar and 3 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    About Those Roads: There are two road names that will get both our attention and presence - Mountain Road and River Road. Seeing either of these two names on a street/road sign and the redhead is almost guaranteed to venture down it. Such was the case when we were wandering around several days ago. The road looked promising.

[​IMG]

Around the bend, we came to a fork in the road. To the left was even worse asphalt. To the right was gravel. You know which way we went.

[​IMG]

As it turned out, the gravel road wasn't that long and came to an end at another of those flood control dams. Preferring to ride rather than walk some distance to see the dam, we turned around, dismounted for a quick stretch of the old legs and knees and then rode back.

[​IMG]

Following the river the other direction, we came to this old bridge in South Royalston. Although not really good enough for a "show your bike on a bridge" post, the bridge was another good place to stop, pour some water over my head and look around.

[​IMG]

Looking at the river from the bridge, there was some evidence that a mill dam had been here at one time.

[​IMG]

A short walk up river found no other evidence of a mill.

[​IMG]

Off to another riding adventure.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    This Old House As Seen While Riding: This post is for those of you who, like me, find old houses interesting. Most of the pictures below were taken this month with a few others from archives. The first of these is a well-maintained colonial built in 1742. Now a museum, the house is at coordinates (42.283353, -73.315843).

[​IMG]

Sometimes you take a pic while riding by, unwilling to stop due to traffic on a narrow road. Such was the case below with a rather simple, but a peeling, colonial that had added dormers. The old place is in great need of repair.

[​IMG]

I found the following, large old manor interesting in that it was well maintained except for the widow's walk on the roof. Like the house above, I don't remember exactly where it was.

[​IMG]

Most recently, I rode by this place in Rindge NH. Located at coordinates 42.748966, -72.009094, I thought someone had gone overboard with the additions and extensions. I am guessing this place dates to the 1800s. With the current covid crap, it is a little more difficult to visit or contact local historical societies.

[​IMG]

Also up in NH was this extended cape. These simple houses usually date to late 1700s.

[​IMG]

The following pic was taken on the road leading out of Royalston, MA, where many of the classic homes date to the early 1800s. The one one the left, though, looks mid to late 1700s.

[​IMG]

Below is the locally-well-known, 1850s "summer cottage" built by the supposedly arrogant, frosty and stern lawyer Charles Butler who, unlike his partner Jos. Choate, had no sense of humor. The cottage is of note being near the Norman Rockwell museum and studio.

[​IMG]

The abode does look a mite haughty for a summer cottage.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sometimes There Are No Words: There are those places that can have a heartfelt impact on you that is hard, if not impossible, to describe. This is one of those - a place of peace, beauty and remembrance.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.774585, -71.988161, I often stop here on my ventures to and from NH when the place doesn't have a lot of cars.

[​IMG]

There are a number of open-air chapels here, including the main one shown below.

[​IMG]

This all evolved from a strong sense of family, a tornado and later out of the love and grief that came when a son was lost in WWII. More pics to follow when I get them converted.
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I didn't take note of curling until I transferred from Boston Edmonton. It's a winter institution on the western prairies in small towns and large. All the clubs have a pub and it's where people hang out and socialize. It's a very strategic game - Chess on ice. You're playing several moves ahead.
    klaviator, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  10. emptyHead

emptyHead Rookie

Oddometer:
    B-17? Feb 22, 1944 was Big Week

(My dad was USAAC)
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes, I understand it was a B-17. I think his brother flew a B-24 and managed to survive the war.
    emptyHead likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sometimes There Are No Words - Part 2: Regardless of your beliefs, The Cathedral Of The Pines is a place of peace, beauty and remembrance.

[​IMG]

At the entrance is the Women's Memorial Belltower, which is dedicated to women's service and sacrifice for the country. The tower has large bronze plaques designed by Norman Rockwell and created by his son, Peter, who died earlier this year.

[​IMG]

Inside the belltower is a "Tree of Life" sculpture and fountain designed by Douglas Sloane III.

[​IMG]

Plaques on the wall explain it all.

[​IMG]

Beyond the tower are the gardens and chapels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going back to the parking lot, you get a good view of what I believe is the Sloane family farm and know you had been walking on the ground where Sandy Sloane planned to build his home had he survived WWII.

[​IMG]

Thinking back, it may be said that ghosts of the greatest generation abound among these pines.

[​IMG]
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    For Those Wanting An Old Mill: I happened by this place the other day, saw a sign that said it was available for sale or lease (can't remember which) and I stopped. I like old mills as interesting historical and photo subjects.

[​IMG]

Who and what was this Chamberlin place? Without access to the town's historical society, I've no exact information on this one as to what it made and when on this site. Most recently, it was being used as office space. Nevertheless, I did find the following bit of information in an online document relative to the town (i.e., Greenville, NH).

In the year 1818, Loammi Chamberlin bargained for water-power of his Mason Cotton Factory Company, at its upper fall, and there built a machine shop where he carried on quite extensively the manufacture of cotton and woolen machinery, machine tools, etc. He gave special attention to the making of power-looms and originated a valuable improvement on those in previous use. About the year 1840, in company with Captain Thomas Pierce, he secured and fitted up the mills below for the manufacture of satinets and other woolen goods. The buildings were also extended for the dying and finishing of cloth by Captain Josiah Heald. Besides, Mr. Chamberlin erected and operated a lumber mill further down the river, while he conducted the business of blacksmithing and other important industries. Source - With Biographical Sketch Of Chamberlin At End Of Document.

[​IMG]

The mill sits on the Souhegan River at coordinates 42.769168, -71.809863.

[​IMG]

The second of two dams is just upriver past an old stone bridge.

[​IMG]

Below is that old, but obviously refurbished, bridge.

[​IMG]

I would have posed the redhead on the bridge but laziness and the urge to get riding prevailed.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Modicum Of Milling Around In Greenville: That would be NH, where I spend a few minutes around the center of town, stopping by the town hall.

[​IMG]

I wanted to get pics looking up and down the Souhegan River from the Main St. bridge looking at the mills there. The first below is looking upriver west toward the mill pond dam. With riding taking preference these days, I put the camera back in the bag and rode off.

[​IMG]

The last looks downstream east. The flower boxes are a nice touch to an otherwise drab mill.

[​IMG]

The Chamberlin mill building shown in the previous post is just downstream beyond the trees.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was Really Weird - Until It Wasn't: I had pulled in to take pictures of some old buildings, such as the image below.

[​IMG]

About the same time, another rider pulled in, got off his Nighthawk and stood quietly staring at the side of a building. This went on for a sufficiently long time that I wondered if he had a problem. It turns out he was just watching these, shown below, to see how many fledglings were still in the nest. From a distance, you don't immediately notice the nests.

[​IMG]

The rider told me some local lady had made these nests to be put up on the town hall, something I never noticed before and probably wouldn't have on my own.

[​IMG]

Noticing the slight remodeling of the holes, it seemed as if a good number had either fledged or was about to. Given that these birds are insectivorous, the nests seem like a good antidote for the problems of being adjacent to wetlands.

[​IMG]

Bottom Line: There are interesting things just about everywhere, if you can see it. Given the increasing need to get off the bike and stretch the old legs and knees, I look forward to looking around more and seeing even more interesting stuff.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rail Yard Drive-By Report: The PA yard in Greenfield was about what you'd expect - nothing moving and nobody around.

[​IMG]

There were a couple of units idling way back in the yard, as shown in the lens zoom shot below, making getting a good power pic too much work (i.e., trekking through brush and weeds over ground that was once highly contaminated).

[​IMG]

The outer edge of the yard was the extent of my gravel riding for the day. Some years back, the RR police gave me friendly guidance on how far I could go and I respect those limits.

PS: This area isn't the best for railfans wanting to watch trains. If you are such a person, your best bet might be Fort Madison, IA, where when you don't see a train going by, the chances are you'll see the big swinging bridge open to let a big tug with a tow (i.e., a "tow" is the term for barges being pushed) on the Mississippi River. IMHO, Fort Madison beats Rochelle, IL (where UP and BNSF cross) as a place to watch trains.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not So Thoreau: I wonder if naturalist, philosopher and writer Henry David Thorough (of Waldon Pond fame) would have loved riding motorcycles through the woods.

[​IMG]

By contrast, riders like to see as much of the woods as they can while Thoreau's idea (in his earlier years) was to build a cabin in the woods by a pond, stay put and commune with nature and himself. His time on Walden Pond obviously had some effect given the resulting essays, papers and letters. Given Thoreau's resultant transcendentalism, environmentalism, and various other "isms"; one might wonder about the influence of pond waters upon the mind and spirit.

[​IMG]

Not wishing to blather on about the qualities of such places, I would just suggest that they are peaceful, restful places to spend a little time before moving on down the road. As for the waters above, I can now enjoy them without the gnawing desire to take off shoes and socks, wade in with the fly rod and kill hours, if not the day, "bugging" for whatever might be lurking below the water. Also, it isn't necessary to build a cabin on the pond to fully appreciate its value, a gazebo will do just fine.

[​IMG]

You can relax in the shade, chat (if accompanied) and if so moved, enjoy the plants and flowers. It is not a matter of existentialistic need, just a brief respite from whatever hunger and/or aches you might have gained riding. The very act of riding can clear out most whatever angst you might be carrying around, so a pond is just the icing on a relaxing sensory cake.

[​IMG]

Perhaps the problem with Thoreau was the limited amount of input he got when hunkering down in the woods. Henry David did, eventually, lose most of his transcendentalism musings and return the the more rigorous role of earning a living. Those of us who are fortunate enough to go into semi-retirement with a motorcycle, can enjoy multiple ponds without lapsing into some introspective, mind-numbing essay on the effect of one pond on the mind, body and spirit.

[​IMG]

To be simplistic, pond sojourns pair well with riding.
    klaviator, Shaggie, dc_ok and 7 others like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Deer Interruption: In the midst of trying to "get it together" yesterday (i.e., dentist appointment, get hair cut, go to market for pepper steak ingredients, get in a short ride, order wood for CNC work, etc.), the morning was interrupted by these two deer. Although having deer in the back yard is a normal thing, this time they came in quite close and let me grab the photo below.

[​IMG]

Aside from getting behind on things, being late to the barbershop (the covid crap eliminated walk-ins, you need an appointment), spitting rain and no ride; it was a good morning.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old Road With Interesting Old House: I was traipsing down what I think is an old post road to see if there were any good nature shots down where it crosses a small river. It is the kind of road we like - not technical and relaxing.

[​IMG]

Reaching the end of the road and finding nothing of interest to photograph, I turned around and rode back to the start where there was an interesting old house at the intersection. Shown below, what made this interesting to me is that the addition to the left looks way older than the main house to the right, making me wonder if the left-most extension was the original family homestead to which a later, more elaborate house was added. The cape design of the left extension looks typical of the type of homes built in the 1600s or early 1700s.

[​IMG]

I feel a trip or call to the area historical society coming on. Sometimes you just get the feeling there might be an interesting story about such places.
    klaviator, Shaggie, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ingredients For A Smiley-face, Happy Day: The recipe is clear. Balmy summer weather, temps in the 70s, clear skies, no major aches and pains, bike running well with sweet sound from the boxer and, viola, asphalt that turns to gravel as the road disappears into the woods.. It happens. It did again yesterday.

[​IMG]

Things get better yet when the gravel turns to woodland track.

[​IMG]

Although there is not a lot to see other than forest during these woodland treks, stopping to look around sometimes pays dividends (e.g., the remains of old structures) but nothing of great interest on this particular section other than the old house mentioned in the previous post.

[​IMG]

Low, wetland areas are good for watching wildlife and we sometimes park along there and check it out.

[​IMG]

There are good vistas around here but woodland trees don't let you see them. You have to get up from the wetland areas and out of the woods to get a good view.

[​IMG]

Such was the day's short ride.
    zzzak, BigDogRaven, black 8 and 7 others like this.