Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No contest, Ouray wins. The Hoosac Range in MA is nothing like the Swiss alpine regions.[/QUOTE]

I was just in this area last week! We have a family cabin outside of Ridgway (just up the road from Ouray). Here's Dad in the jeep:

IMG_2165.jpg
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just in this area last week! We have a family cabin outside of Ridgway (just up the road from Ouray). Here's Dad in the jeep:

View attachment 2431821 [/QUOTE]
    Great photo! Thanks for sharing it with us!!
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Crossed Paths With A Fellow Inmate Today: I had just started to tuck into a tube steak when this friendly guy hauling a GS pulls up by the table and asks, "You popscycle?" When I said yes, he introduced himself and it was @EMTNEK, who had encouraged some of my posts.

[​IMG]

Blake has also encouraged me to give Yankee Beemers a try, which I just might have to do. Am reaching an age where monthly breakfast meetings, if not group rides and rallys, seem like a good idea.
    red bud, zookster, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not So Dashing: I happened across this dash-8 idling in the weeds yesterday.

[​IMG]

Story and more pics to follow when I get the RAW files converted.
    zookster, klaviator, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hydration Pack Pisses My Pants: It was about 2/3 through yesterday's warm, 92° ride when I felt my butt getting wet. Not just damp, but soaking, dripping wet, which can be a scary thought for a millisecond or two. That little WTF moment caused me to pull over, get off and discover the Camelbak drinking tube had split for some mysterious reason. This morning I set about ordering another reservoir only to find both the 2L and 3L out of stock on the Camelbak site. A nearby sporting goods store had a couple left so I snagged one when they opened. Shown below, the new model appears to be a huge improvement over the old one.

[​IMG]

Let's see if it lasts as long, which was about 6 years for the old one. Use of a hydration reservoir plus a small, daily dose of hydrochlorothiazide have reduced the screaming kidney stone monster to a whimpering little pissant. Also, sipping ice-cold water on the go is a happy thing, especially when temps get over, say, 85.
    zookster, klaviator, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Not Bone Dry, However, . . . . . : Despite the good rainfall we've had lately, it has all soaked into the ground and the wetlands are getting a little less so with the more recent 90° plus heat.

[​IMG]

When I came back in a little bit ago, the thermometer out front was right at 100° and it is in the shade. The road below, which cuts right through the area above, is often damp or wet but is now bone dry.

[​IMG]

I am good in the mesh jacket up to about 90 but get uncomfortable after that. When it hits 100, it's time to get off the bike or find some place cooler. You can often knock off about 10 degrees by going up someplace higher than the wetlands. There's a such a place not from from the wetlands above. Shown below in a pic taken back in 2014, I haven't been up there since they started charging folks to ride up and back.

[​IMG]

The change from 100° plus down to 90° plus going up the mountain isn't worth a whole lot of money as long as you have water left in your reservoir. A couple of squirts on the face and t-shirt will give you nature's AC with a mesh jacket. If necessary, dribble some down your pants and ride standing up for a bit.

Footnote: When I looked out around 5:30 PM, the thermometer read 102° in the shade. The redhead and I will both stay in this evening. Being cool has a different and more comfortable meaning in older age. We're thankful to have AC and it is getting a good workout.
    zookster, klaviator, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Ran When Parked: Aside from keeping you alive and well, situational awareness is also useful for spotting trains. I was making morning tracks westward on the Mohawk Trail this weekend when the still-good peripheral vision happened to catch this old horse just sitting there. The last train I'd seen going through there was some time ago. This one, however, wasn't going.

[​IMG]

I had to pull in and try to get some pics before it started moving again but move it didn't. The lead was idling and there didn't seem to be anyone in the cab. Did they stop for coffee, was it a crew change point, equipment problems? Anyway, whatever stopped them gave me time to walk around and get some pics up close and personal.

[​IMG]

Looking at the engine, tracks, ties and ballast; you might think this was some third world RR. I guess there's a reason it's been called the NORK (North Korea) of railroads . Current virus issues certainly doesn't help them change that perception, the economy and business cash flow being what it is.

[​IMG]

Anyway the idling engine set gave me time to take several more pictures.

[​IMG]

When I rode back later that afternoon, the units were still sitting in the same spot, which isn't all that far from the Deerfield Yard. In years past, I've seen Pan Am park some of its GPs close to but several miles short of the yard.
    zookster, klaviator, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Strange Structure Seen While Riding: I saw this thing in my rear view mirror that looked like a big totem at first glance. This was a "whoa horse" moment that prompted a turn around for another look and what I saw in the distance was unfamiliar. Pulling up to the posted property line, it took on the appearance of an oil well rig. The state is not known for its oil wells, so it had to be something else.

[​IMG]

Using the zoom to get closer up, the structure looks more like a fancy windmill without the vanes. Perhaps to draw water or generate a modicum of electricity. Maybe a ham radio tower - Ive no clue.

[​IMG]

Simply put, I've never seen anything quite like this before. Info or suggestions are welcomed.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The styling reminds me of a particular type of lighthouse. The style I'm thinking of are prevalent in Canada (I think) and the maritimes.
    B10Dave, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture I took of a lighthouse along the shores of Lake Erie that resembles that architecture. A bit shorter and stouter, but similar. Perhaps what you saw was an attempt to emulate this style of lighthouse.

35636576302_3ae7f38232_b.jpg
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You know, it does have the appearance of a skinny lighthouse. Having grown up in farm country where we never saw lighthouses in a farm field, my mind never made the association. Also, kudos on the bike/lighthouse pic above. That one is super, IMHO.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ode To A Cruiser: When I parked the redhead in the man cave this afternoon, I lifted the cover on Kevin's Harley to see if there were any mouse turds and had this thought:

[​IMG]

For years it has has sat,
    broken hearted.
    Not been ridden,
    and seldom started.​

(the end)​
    B10Dave, zookster, bluestar and 2 others like this.
  13. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Well, was there any critter evidence?
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    None, but I will restock the traps and trust no such rodents will find a home among all that sparkle and farkle. I do understand that Harley drivers can get real pissy when some mouse takes a dump on their chrome.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have hotter weather than we have here in N. Alabama:knary

Maybe you should try a cooling vest. Mine is a lifesaver when it gets into the 90s.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Run Down Main Poland: That would the the Main Poland Road, which is a nice bit of non-technical gravel out in the Berkshires. Not having explored it in years, I thought it would be fun to check it out along with other roads that branch off from it. Main Poland starts just past the covered bridge over the North River.

[​IMG]

There really isn't a lot to see other than trees, gravel road and the occasional critter. It's peaceful.

[​IMG]

There are some offshoot trails you might want to explore if you have a lighter more agile bike.

[​IMG]

The road makes for an easy ride that can quite spirited (i.e., fast) if you choose. I don't, making it a habit to stop and look around in places - like a good wine or cold beer, you savor rather than gulping it down.

[​IMG]

There's a nice waterfall if you want to take a detour along the Chapel Brook road (i.e., Chapel Falls Road) and hike into the woods a bit. I didn't but saw kids playing in the brook bear the bridge below. I will explore the falls some other time when there's more water flowing.

[​IMG]

All in all, a nice weekend ride with Main Poland Road being the cherry on top.

[​IMG]
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Lordy, I miss the dense forest, waterfalls, old mills and NE countryside. Around here it's cattle and grain. You have to ride a bit west for anything interesting - foothills, forests, Rocky Mountains.

foothills.jpg
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes, out weather's been a bit warm of late. Thanks for the tip on a cooling vest - will look into it. How long do they stay cold for you?

With my current gear (i.e., not ATGATT but SOTGATT), I stay comfortable up to about 85° in a light mesh jacket over a t-shirt. Above that, if I wet myself good from the Camelbak, cooling off at speed seems to work up to about 90° or so, after which it's make tracks for the AC.
    KMichael likes this.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A cooling vest works like a wet t-shirt. As long as it's wet and you have airflow over it, it will provide cooling. The wetter it is and the more the airflow the better it works. Mine will typically stay wet for a couple of hours, sometimes more. Once it starts getting dry just wet it down again. It's amazing how much water it absorbs. I think mine will hold at least a half a gallon. It's not as effective as a wet T-shirt but it lasts a lot longer. I got a cheap one from Cycle Gear. I don't know if the more expensive ones work better.

I wear mine under a mesh jacket. Recently I was on a trip coming home. I rode over the Cherohala Skyway where it was 68 at the top into Tellico plains where it was 95. Then I rode almost 200 miles home in temps ranging from 91 to 99 degrees. I put on my cooling vest and stopped and wetted it back down once during that ride. I won't say I was comfortable but at least I wasn't miserable.
    zookster, black 8, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  20. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Well, that is good news. 500 acres of wildlife preserve behind the house and the critters want to camp out under the seat, which at least I thought to remove the last time I was home.
    popscycle and B10Dave like this.