Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mystery Cabin Gone: With reference to the previous post on Main Poland Road, my first trip down the road in 2014 encountered an old log cabin a short distance down the road from the spot pictured below below.

[​IMG]

Riding by last weekend, the cabin was gone but I found the picture of it taken back in 2014. Shown below, it was in rough shape then. but you could see it had been built with some degree of rustic craftsmanship.

[​IMG]

Nobody in the area could tell us with any certainty about the cabin or who built/inhabited the structure. Perhaps it was some Thoreau wannabe, although there's no pond nearby that I know of. No matter, the cabin is mostly gone now. So little was left that you probably wouldn't notice it had been there. I didn't stop to take a picture.
    NxtGoRnd, GAS GUY, The Opa and 5 others like this.
  2. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    With the Covid related decrease in Airbnb rentals it's not surprising that this once sought after rental property was dismantled.
    NxtGoRnd and popscycle like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Rail Yard Report: Stopped by the Deerfield yard on Tuesday last. Parked the redhead just outside the yard to sneak a peek without going in.

[​IMG]

I didn't think anything would be moving and my expectations were met. The only thing out in the yard was an idling GP.

[​IMG]

If the redhead is within a couple of miles of the place, I am hard-pressed not to check the yard for action, even though the probability is near 100% there won't be any. However, the chances of find one or more railfans hanging around waiting for something to happen is pretty high. When it's riding vs. waiting for yard action, waiting always loses. We grab a couple of pics and scram.
    NxtGoRnd, zookster, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  4. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Any chance of getting permission to enter the grounds for some close-ups of the round house?
    popscycle likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I would be great to get pics of the old roundhouse and turntable; however, they're not known as the North Korea of railroads for no reason. I am guessing a high level connection would be needed but will try their PR department. The back of their yard by the old roundhouse, from what I can see thru the zoom lens, looked a little junky the other day, as shown below.

[​IMG]

Am thinking the RR could use some good PR.
    klaviator, bluestar, zookster and 2 others like this.
  6. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted on the round house. Btw, how's the new hydration pack?
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well, the new hydration pack is big - so big when filled that the panniers are going back on to accommodate stuff the camelbak displaces out of the backpack. That old backpack is, BTW, holding together better than the GS tank bag, which is coming apart at the seams. The backpack is what, around 20 years old, has had the crap beat out of it and will probably last another 20 while the tank bag is is giving up the ghost at 6.
    klaviator and B10Dave like this.
  8. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GREAT PICS!
    popscycle likes this.
  9. longwaypyder

longwaypyder Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So when I saw the trains with the PanAm logo, there I went down a rabbit trail of how Guilford Transportation wound up with the name after the demise of the original airline and subsequent iterations.
    David
    KMichael, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yup, it's quite the trail and another lesson in learning that a world famous name and logo doesn't help all that much if you haven't got a good operation to back it up. Horizontal integration isn't all that great if the links between the pieces aren't up to snuff. The RR world went double stack intermodal while PanAm was still pushing around small consists with single stacks using tired old GPs. Even after getting some rehabilitated dash-8 units from GE, the old GP's can still be found idling around. I found earlier this week that was probably doing yard switching.

[​IMG]

As you're probably aware, their main line from NY into MA is somewhat strangled by the height of the Hoosac Tunnel.
    NxtGoRnd, klaviator, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  11. st2sam

st2sam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question.
    Pan Am 352, about how old and are they still making that type?
    OK just one more. The Approx. cost?

Thanks, and a picture to share.
    IMG_0572_crop.jpg
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Pan Am 352 is registered as MEC (Maine Central) 352 and is a 1969 EMD (GM) GP-40, which were built from 1965 to 1971. Several thousand or so were produced. I've no idea of what they cost new or what they're going for now. If anyone out there has an idea, please let us know.

Also, thanks for the great pic of that bridge/viaduct. Where is it at?
    B10Dave likes this.
  13. st2sam

st2sam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0614.JPG
    KMichael, zzzak, zookster and 2 others like this.
  14. st2sam

st2sam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's located not far from this landmark.
    IMG_0565.JPG
    At one time, might still be (?), the largest poured concrete span of it's kind in the world.

Attached Files:

15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Look At Shelburne Falls, Part 1: I often pass through Shelburne Falls, MA, when out riding. Once known as Salmon Falls, Shelburne Falls is a historic and picturesque village that sits in the towns of Buckland and Shelburne, spanning the Deerfield River. Settled around 1760, mills spring up around the falls beginning sometime after 1775. One of the country's premier cutlery makers, Lamson and Goodnow, had their headquarters and factory here. More on that later.

When coming off the Mohawk Trail, I usually ride into the village on the western, Buckland side of the river.

[​IMG]

On this particular day, I parked the redhead just across the street from the two bridges, wanting to get pictures of both.

[​IMG]

The main link to downtown is the old, 1890 , Warren thru-truss, iron bridge. Simply put, this old bridge has character.

[​IMG]

Just to the left (north) of the iron bridge is the village's main claim to fame - the bridge of flowers. The bridge of flowers is a rehabilitated and re-purposed old trolley bridge made into a flower walk. Due to the covid scare, it is currently closed.

[​IMG]

Below is a picture taken in June 2018 on the bridge of flowers from the other end.

[​IMG]

Just after taking a photo of the closed flower bridge, I noticed I had a good shot of the old iron bridge's foundations.

[​IMG]

Below is the upper part of the iron bridge.

[​IMG]

Below is a side shot of the bridge of flowers.

[​IMG]

One last bridge shot below.

[​IMG]

More to follow in Part 2 on the other side of the river, including the falls.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are some mighty nice looking "foundations" there John................Oooooh; you meant the stone ones..
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yes, they were nice looking and the angle of the abutments was of particular interest.
    B10Dave, klaviator and jeickerman like this.
  18. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Agreed, that's a great pic.
    popscycle likes this.
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    We have yet to find a good lunch spot in Shelburne Falls. Happily Helen's luncheonette isn't too far from there. How is she?
    popscycle likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Finding a good lunch spot in Shelburne Falls might be a bit of a problem given how the village has transformed from a working class mill town into more of an artsy-fartsy tourist trap where meatloaf and gravy can't be found and their idea of a burger is some crap beef and soy shit, fat meat ball on a bun that you can't get your mouth around. I will, however, do some research on the subject but think our best lunch bets are the hole-in-the-wall pizza place in Ashfield or Helens's place. Helen, by the way, hasn't lost any of her wonderful, in-your-face, piss and vinegar attitude.