Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Look At Shelburne Falls, Part 2: I often pass through Shelburne Falls, MA, when out riding. Once known as Salmon Falls, Shelburne Falls is a historic and picturesque village that sits in the towns of Buckland and Shelburne, spanning the Deerfield River. Settled around 1760, mills spring up around the falls beginning sometime after 1775 and the area shifted from agricultural to industrial. One of the country's premier and oldest cutlery makers, Lamson and Goodnow, had their headquarters and factory here.

[​IMG]

Founded in 1837, Lampson and Goodnow went bankrupt in 2014, sold off the factory property in 2015 and moved most of its operation to Westfield, MA. Below are some new and old pictures of that industrial property, which was sold to a developer out of Ashfield who wants to restore the factory buildings. Several years ago, we happened by when they were attempting to save one of the oldest factory buildings by deconstructing and saving what was still good..

[​IMG]

Below is how the old building looked in 2016 before deconstruction began.

[​IMG]

Below are various recent and older pictures of the Lamson mill and factory that were taken when riding through Shelburne Falls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow.
    franken, zookster, klaviator and 11 others like this.
  2. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Do you know what the mill will be used for once it's restored? Apartments or condos, perhaps? That seems to be a trend with these repurposed mill structures.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Here's about all I know:

On Wednesday, Madocks of Watson Spruce Corner Road bought most of the Lamson & Goodnow property and plans to gradually restore the buildings. Madocks is a mechanical engineer and president of General Plasma in Tucson, Ariz. General Plasma makes vacuum coatings for monitors, touch-sensitive screens and other devices. Madocks bought a home in Ashfield about three years ago and wants to open a satellite branch for his own business on the Lamson site. Madocks said he hopes to gradually renovate the old buildings, leasing them to light manufacturing companies. - Source
    So far, they've kept a factory store, shown below, on the site now owned by Madocks.

[​IMG]
    zookster, klaviator, NxtGoRnd and 4 others like this.
  4. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I love seeing life brought back to these old mills. Thanks for sharing that!
    popscycle and KMichael like this.
  5. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    That's a great update - thank you. I'm glad the facility will be used for light manufacturing.
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  6. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stumbled across this yesterday and thought of your thread. This is an amusement park in Sonoma Calif. it was not open the day I went by but I now want to go back and check it out. IMG_1963.JPG IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1964.JPG
    B10Dave, zookster, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  7. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are apartments in Louisville, KY
    IMG_3092.JPG
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting us know about this. If it's connected with trains, (1) it can't be bad and (2) you know we have to look into it. Great photos, also!
    WRC51 likes this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I always thought it would be neat to have a caboose for a getaway cabin but never thought about apartments. That's way cool!. Thanks for the great photo and letting us know about this!
    WRC51 likes this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Look At Shelburne Falls, Part 3: As previously noted, I often pass through Shelburne Falls, MA, when out riding. Once known as Salmon Falls, Shelburne Falls is a historic and picturesque village that sits in the towns of Buckland and Shelburne, spanning the Deerfield River. Settled around 1760, mills spring up around the falls beginning sometime after 1775 and the area shifted from agricultural to industrial. At one time, there was a trolley line that stretched north out of Shelburne Falls to mills in Colrain, which is a little ways north up the Deerfield River. The old trolley bridge was converted into a bridge of flowers; however, there's still a trolley or two hanging around. It's the village's small trolley museum, currently closed. Below is pic taken where they trolley would have headed towards the bridge.

[​IMG]

Going on up the road, named "Depot Street", you dead end at the trolley museum. Depot street ended and turned to a short bit of gravel. It was closed and blocked off but we walked in to take a few pics. We didn't see a "Keep Out" or "Posted" sign. There wasn't much to see. On the left was the corpse of a trolley and an old passenger car.

[​IMG]

On the right was another dead trolley and a tarted-up boxcar. I had previously mentioned that the village has changed into an artsy-fartsy, tourist magnet.

[​IMG]

I am thinking there's probably a working trolley or two stashed away in the car barn down the tracks.

[​IMG]

I did take a close-up of the trolley corpse.

[​IMG]

Also, the passenger coach:

[​IMG]

That, fellow inmates, is about the sum total of the trolley musem. I did notice that the tracks don't go very far and many of the sleepers are in bad shape. Tough times for small, low/no budget train museums.
    B10Dave, zookster, NxtGoRnd and 7 others like this.
  11. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Do you know if there are there any plans to restore the trolleys?
    popscycle likes this.
  12. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Before Covid grounded most flights, I routinely traveled up to San Francisco (from LA). I don't know much about the program, but apparently the City of SF adopts trolley cars from around the world, refurbishes them, and puts them into service. Perhaps Pops can look into this program and report back. In the meantime here's a picture I took on my phone (sorry about the size and quality) of trolley ambling by. I have to admit that it was pretty cool.

SF Trolley.jpg
    B10Dave, bluestar, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    With the museum and historical society closed, I didn't learn much that wasn't online. Also, I am guessing the museum doesn't have much of an income stream to restore anything. Also, a Shelburne Falls trolley ride can't be more than a hundred yards or so, which may not be enough to coax many coins out of the purse. If I remember from other museum visits, some 75% of their budget is paid for by admission fees and gift store sales. If you're after a trolley ride of any distance, they can be had in Maine (Seashore Trolley Museum) or CT, both of which have major restoration operations.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    popscycle and KMichael like this.
  15. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Okay, thanks. Speaking of such things, how's the restoration of the Big Boy steam locomotive coming along?
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Of Trolley & Streetcar Restorations. Having routinely ridden such conveyances, in places like Chicago, New Orleans, San Francisco and Germany (i.e., Deutsche Stra├čenbahn) over the years, I enjoyed the more leisure ride they offered but didn't take pictures. Photos didn't come about until I retired and got active on ADVrider and rode to New England trolley museums, where they do excellent restoration work. Some photos below, starting with one where I was the sole rider on a two mile journey.

[​IMG]

Trolleys with hanging straps were usually the type used in urban transportation.

[​IMG]

Below is the type of old trolley car that you would have seen on any of the many interurban systems that were popular in the first half of the 20th century. This one's been preserved but not fully restored.

[​IMG]

Interurban streetcar services became increasingly unreliable and unprofitable during the time when automobile sales and use increased, leading to their demise. One such interurban line started up in 1905 passed through my IL hometown but went out of business in 1925, which was before I was born.
    B10Dave, bluestar, zookster and 2 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Your work's really keeping you out of things train related. Big Boy's been out of the barn and under steam since May 2019.

18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On The Road: We've gotten out a couple times this of late, suggesting a good "on the way" road pic. More to follow on that as well including a good look at the falls in Shelburne Falls.

[​IMG]

Roads like this put a smile on your face. Good weather, good temps, no wind and road as smooth as you know what.
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    There's a smile on my face just looking at a pic of the road.
    popscycle likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Hankering For A Railroad? I know where there's one for sale.

[​IMG]

Yup, Pan Am is for sale, which is being handled by BMO Financial Group. I thought I'd tell you that in case you had some spare cash laying around (Note: I've no affiliation with PA or BMO). It is currently owned by 78 year-old Tim Mellon and other investors and has supposedly never been unprofitable. The interesting issue will be what happens to the Pan Am/Norfolk Southern partnership that operates from Mechanicsville NY to Ayer MA. As for potential suitors, I'd keep an eye on Genesee & Wyoming and Canadian Pacific. CP just bought Central Maine, which connects to Pan Am.
    B10Dave, bluestar, zookster and 2 others like this.