Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hot, Hot, Hot: A post on another picture thread reminded me that I was down to my last container of these. They make good road food, provided you don't find the taste distracting (I don't).

[​IMG]
  2. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Time to re-order.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Look At Shelburne Falls, Part 4 - The Falls: As previously noted, I often pass through Shelburne Falls, MA, when out riding. Once known as Salmon Falls, Shelburne Falls is a historic and picturesque village that sits in the towns of Buckland and Shelburne, spanning the Deerfield River. Settled around 1760, mills spring up around the falls beginning sometime after 1775 and the area shifted from agricultural to industrial. Below are pictures of the falls area that prompted the onset of mills. There is a short river walk along the head of the falls, which is where these pics were talk.

[​IMG]

The sequence of pictures follows that short walk. The views below looks across at the Buckland side of the Deerfield River from the Shelburne side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the rocks were interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did not have time to wander farther down to get an upstream look at the falls. That's for another time and trip. Next will be the final part that looks at the village's main street.
  4. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Is the water level usually that low?
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Water level seems about right for this time of year (i.e., lower than in spring) but is controlled to some extent by a series of dams up river that release water on published schedules. The tubers, rafters and kayakers live for these water release schedules. The dam at Shelburne Falls is a big impediment to the full potential of the waterfall, the greatest part of which is dry much of the time when I've ridden by.

[​IMG]

Should the tropical storm pass over us as predicted, the falls could get very active, in which case I'll try to get there to photograph it.
    bluestar, B10Dave and jeickerman like this.