Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave! You just can't have enough pics of those venerable F units, especially an F9. Our local short line has put it's F unit away and it hasn't been seen for years. The last pic I have of that F7 was taken back in 2014.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, bluestar and 3 others like this.
  2. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Thank you for donating your time to the charitable cause -- good stuff.
    popscycle likes this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Up Route 112: Below are a few pics taken this month while riding north on 112 from MA into VT. First is the view coming into the impoverished old mill town of Colrain.

[​IMG]

The town's church is interesting in its style and the fact that it sits aside an old mill race.

[​IMG]

Beyond Colrain, I didn't take any pictures until I get into VT. Just before you get into Jacksonville, there's an off-the-beaten-path winery, shown below. IMHO, stopping there would be something a curios tourist, rather than an oenophile, would do. I remember stopping in there once and sampling one of their fruit wines. Not being much of a wine drinker (i.e., less than a bottle a year), I haven't stopped since.

[​IMG]

Just up the road a bit is this old community church and Masonic lodge, that latter of which are becoming more rare.

[​IMG]

Finally, below is the pic I took coming into "downtown" Jacksonville, VT. A gift shop or two and a general store are about all you get.

[​IMG]

I turned off here to head into the Green Mountains.
    klaviator, bluestar, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata: I think this old place was once a school building.

[​IMG]

It is located at coordinates 42.721845, -72.941702.
    klaviator, bluestar, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding Today - It's A Trap: There aren't many really stupid tourist traps left around but I rolled past one today. You can mine for gems and strike it rich, despite the fact that the state isn't known for folks striking it rich by mining for much of anything. Riding by, you can see the place has a sluice box out front where you can pan for your riches. The state does have dinosaur tracks around, though.

[​IMG]

Pic taken with my crap camera (i.e., the one that sometimes work but makes noises when it does.)
    klaviator, bluestar, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  6. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    I see that this old school house is on "Depot" street. So, that begs the question...is there a depot nearby?
    B10Dave likes this.
  7. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Don't forget, that winery sells Grafton Vt. Cheese Company cheese! Cruising by without a purchase is a swing-and-a-miss.
    B10Dave likes this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I moved on from Grafton Cheese. The Aussie stuff called "Old Croc" is better. Want me to send you some?
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Interesting Architecture: I've passed this place several times but don't remember getting a good picture. This time, however, I stopped the bike and got a decent shot of the place. Talk about symmetry!

[​IMG]

I have no idea what style of architecture this is. If anyone has an idea, please let us know. My first thought was Victorian but that's usually highly ornamental and asymmetrical.
    klaviator, KMichael, GAS GUY and 4 others like this.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked the F units again John. I may have a treat for you in the near future. Ontario Southland has purchased a GP9 from Essex Terminal Rail. It is a somewhat special locomotive being the last GP9 ever built.
    KMichael likes this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well now, that is really cool. May you get a ton of pics of that one and share some with us all. Now I have to look through the archives and see if we've any G9 pics.
    KMichael likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Got Porch? I passed by this interesting inn up in Vermont and had to grab the good camera for the shot. Some of these old (?) New England inns are interesting, either architecturally or historically. The age of this one is uncertain.

[​IMG]

One thing these inns almost always had was a lot of porch space that got built over time around a larger house. A good example of "porchification" is the structure below that I'd bet was once an inn, given that few families would build that much porch space.

[​IMG]

Really big inns of the period (i.e., 1800s) had a lot of porch, such as these that stood in Princeton, MA before burning down.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Readsboro Inn in the first picture is different, making me think it was once a motel and store/restaurant. I am told running an inn is a tough business. This would be especially true nowadays in an out-of-the-way little town with little to attract tourists. Such may be the case of Readsboro, whose main street is shown below.

[​IMG]

My main reason for riding here was to take Tunnel Road down through the Deerfield Valley to the Hoosac Tunnel and beyond. There are numerous ways to get back into MA from VT but Tunnel Road is, IMHO, one of the best. Lots of hills, curves and river road.
    klaviator, Shaggie, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    My F9 Portfolio: I have come across a number of EMD F9s on various rides over the years; however, none were running. These follow, leading with a NYC F9A unit.

[​IMG]

Below is another New York Central F9 unit but this one is an FL9. The FL9 unit had a dual power mode. One mode was the standard diesel/electric while the other was pure electric with current derived from a third rail.

[​IMG]

Below is another FL9 from the New Haven line.

[​IMG]

Finally, I have one other F9, this one another New Haven FL9. The L series allowed trains to used electrified lines into eastern seaboard cities.

[​IMG]

I omitted the pic of the G&U F9 since it was recently posted. If or when @B10Dave nabs a pic of a currently-running F9, we railfans will really have something.
  14. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:

J- The grey facade at the Readsboro Inn hides, YES HIDES the best homemade pizza! and eats in their small restaurant there. A year ago I was
    entertaining some fellow riders from out of state on these same roads and we needed to lunch as we rode into Readsboro..... I knew of the Inn, and
    the gas stop ahead (with 1 table). We ate deliciously at the Inn and I am still remembered as the hero on that dayride. Please check it out for yourself.
    Sully
    popscycle likes this.
  15. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    popscycle likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Quite often it is those small, out-of-the-way places that have the best eats and we'll certainly check this place out. My favorite area pizza place while on the road (i.e. Country Pie in Ashfield, MA) is only doing takeout on certain days/hours so we've been looking for good road pizza. Thank you, Sully, for letting us know about the Readsboro Inn.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, @Beils, for your insight on this. Your thought that it could be renovated was spot on. I remembered riding by in the past, thinking it was an interesting house , seeing work being done over the course of years and taking pictures. Below is one from 2015 that I happen to keep.

[​IMG]

Again, we appreciate your thoughts on this as the style has been on of those minor, but nagging questions for years.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Same Time, Same Station: Well, I rode by the same spot at the same time several days ago on one of my rare days out and found another Pan Am dash-8 sitting at idle at almost the same exact spot as before, only heading the other direction.

[​IMG]

This particular unit had fresh livery and was headed east what a bunch of ratty, beat up old cars. Are they dressing up for the sale (i.e., Pan Am Railroad is for sale)?

[​IMG]

It should be noted that this weed patch is Pan Am's main line through MA. Technically it belongs to Pan Am Southern, which is a joint venture between Pan Am and Norfolk Southern. More on that and the sale later.
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    My Favorite Bridge Was A Zoo: It doesn't show it in the pic below but my favorite bridge (i.e., Bardwell's Ferry Bridge) is a zoo on these warm days. I had to wait along side the road for a good bit to get this shot without cars on the bridge.

[​IMG]

The road on both sides of the bridge was crammed with cars and people using this spot to begin their ride down the river on float tubes. Not peaceful at all so I motored on through. If, however, you're of an age where looking at giggling teenage girls in bikinis and float tubes is your thing, the bridge might be a good place to hang out. Once across and past the bridge, you can get a good ride.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  20. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Socially distanced river tubing?
    popscycle likes this.