Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    How does one become a train engineer? Do you go to school for that, or is it on the job training and certification, or both, or something else?
    popscycle likes this.
  2. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe you have to get a federal license after completing a training program, but am not certain. As I recall, the pay is on a par with or slightly less than a truck driver.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Riding Down The Deerfield: One of my favorite rides is down the Deerfield (river) Valley from Readsboro VT down to the Mohawk Train. Having recently made this trek, I've a few pictures that will give those of you who haven't ridden it some idea. Below is a Basecamp map of the route, which will cost you only 45 minutes plus any stop time. There are several places along you might want to stop and take it all in.

[​IMG]

Given the good words about the Readsboro Inn from @MarkVeeMarkADV, we're inclined to stop there and eat if they're open next time through. In any event, the road to take south is Tunnel Street, which is right across the street from the inn. Below is a picture that shows the Tunnel Street turn to the left as you're heading west. If going the other way, it's the first right hand turn after the inn, which is on the corner.\

[​IMG]

Tunnel Street down through do the MA border is what you'd expect a river road to be.

[​IMG]

Crossing the border into MA, the first little town you'll encounter is Monroe Bridge, where you might want to take a two block detour down Depot Street.

[​IMG]

Taking a short side-trip down depot street will take you past an old paper mill an onto the newly-renovated bridge. Aside from the various river infrastructure views and pose possibilities, just across the bridge is an area where a lot of kayakers and floaters put in below the dam there. Below is a 2019 pic taken just across the bridge by the put-in area.

[​IMG]

The road from Monroe Bridge on down to the Hoosac Tunnel is a wonderful combination of hills and turns along the river. Having posted many picture of and at the tunnel, I will skip that potential stop and take you about a mile on to an interesting old bridge at Tunnel Road (not to be confused with tunnel street). If a rattling and non-form bridge deck isn't for you, there's a good place to park you steed and walk out on the bridge, which I did the other day when I saw one of the float company vans parked just past the bridge.

[​IMG]

Having noted people coming off the bridge, I walked rather than rode across.

[​IMG]

There were groups of rafters coming down the river who were posing for the float company picture taker above.
    [​IMG]

Across the bridge, there's off-road adventure to be had on Tunnel Road if you've a mind. Being something I'll not do alone at my age, I just motor on down River road till it meats Zoar Road and the Mohwak Trail. This ride usually adds a most pleasant hour to whatever I am doing that day.
  4. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    The old paper mill picture, that rock wall is where a dilapidated wooden structure used to be, right? I think that's the one you posted pictures of previously showing the wooden structure?
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; went out train hunting yesterday; specifically looking for anything OSR. Looked for the St Thomas and Tillsonburg jobs but nowhere to be seen. Went to Woodstock where I found them pushing a cut of auto racks past the old CPR station into the yard for CP to pick up. It was break time so the crew stopped at the station building for their rest.

OSR Woodstock Job 003.jpg

OSR Woodstock Job 004.jpg

OSR Woodstock Job 008.jpg

OSR Woodstock Job 009.jpg

1594 is an EMD GP9 built as Canadian Pacific 8660 in 1957
    8235 is an EMD GP9 built as Canadian Pacific 8822 in 1958 and later rebuilt into a GP9U

I knew they would be returning to Ingersoll and on to Salford a bit later so I rode back to Ingersoll for a pop and candy bar break. I caught them pushing their consist into the Ingersoll yard and asked the trainman about the other OSR jobs. Turns out that the Woodstock job was the only OSR train running yesterday.Oh well; I had a nice ride looking for the non existing St Thomas and Tillsonburg jobs.

OSR Woodstock Job 017.jpg

OSR Woodstock Job 018.jpg

OSR Woodstock Job 020.jpg
    OSR Woodstock Job 021.jpg

I went down Wonham street to wait for them to head south to the Salford yard.

OSR Woodstock Job 025.jpg

OSR Woodstock Job 027.jpg

I then rode out to Salford yard/workshop to get pics of OSR's latest locomotive purchase. 102 is an EMD GP9 built as #172 for Algoma Central Railroad in August 1963 It was bought from them by Essex Terminal Railroad in Windsor Ont. and recently acquired by OSR and is usually paired with FP9 # 1400. This locomotive has the distinction of being the very last GP9 EMD ever built.
    klaviator, NxtGoRnd, KMichael and 6 others like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the 102 coupled to the 1400 behind the Salford shop. I will catch it in action in the near future.

OSR Woodstock Job 012.jpg

OSR Woodstock Job 010.jpg

Attached Files:

NxtGoRnd, KMichael, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You are correct. Below is the old wooden structure as it looked in 2016.

[​IMG]

The following year, the old wooden structure was coming down, based on the fear the building would collapse into the river and cause major pollution.

[​IMG]

The town had gotten money to turn that bit of land into a park. Can't say the resulting stone wall is much of a park.
    klaviator, NxtGoRnd, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Greatly appreciate the photo's, Dave. I really need to get up out of the shop and chase more trains. You are fortunate to have rolling stock that rolls instead of sits behind some idling power unit.
    KMichael, jeickerman and B10Dave like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yard Sale: This post is about a railroad yard of a railroad that's for sale. Having wondered if being for sale would make the yard any more or less dead that it usually was, I rode by several days ago. To my surprise, a freight was moving through. Having missed the power unit(s), there was no way of knowing whether it was a PA or NS consist.

[​IMG]

This got me thinking about what exactly might be for sale, given the fact that NS is a co-owner of a good part of the right of way. To that end, I scrounged up the following route map.

[​IMG]

The next question was one of what part of the map above belongs in part to Norfolk Southern. Thus, a map of Pan Am Southern, as below, which shows that NS has a stake in the main line from Mechanicsville, NY to Ayer, MA.

[​IMG]
    With the yard being near the junction of the east/west and north/south lines, I am thinking it would be important to whoever, if any, might purchase Pan Am. The yard still attracts faithful railroad fans, if not a whole lot of trains.

The only power units I saw in the were sitting way back in the yard by the sanding towers. I got a somewhat-surreptitious picture through the brush but stayed out of the yard proper.

[​IMG]

If you're wanting to see power movement, you'll have to hang out around here much longer than I am willing to. I was greatly spoiled in my early youth by being able to hang out at some huge rail yards near S. Halsted in Chicago and see just about every type of power in a short time.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Beer Farm Is Hopping: Every time I have ridden by the Stone Cow beer farm on weekend afternoons, it has been crowded - often a veritable traffic jam complete with traffic cop. Happening to ride by the other day before it opened, I noticed a new teepee and some now hop vines growing. That begged two questions.

[​IMG]

First, doesn't a teepee seem a little out of place at a beer farm? Second, isn't it a little late for growing hops? Is there such a thing as a sp├Ątlese for hops? One of these days when the novelty and crowds die down, I am going to stop and have a "Roll In The Hay". It's an aptly named IPA.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding: Passing by this place, I did a double take, turned back and took this picture, wondering what the story was. What's not obvious in the pic below is the extent to which the property was littered with old motor homes and campers.

[​IMG]

Hermit's hideout, dumping ground or abandoned property? The structure looked like it could fall in at any time.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sometimes, Enjoying The Road Means Stopping: Maybe it is like sniffing the wine before you drink it. In any event, I stopped to take it all in and grab a pic before heading on down the road - a very happy ride.

[​IMG]

Although not long in distance, this old post road is a favorite shortcut that always turns out to take longer. Sometimes you just gotta stop again along the way to take it all in all the peace and quiet yet again.

[​IMG]
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old Dog Learns New Trick Time-Compressing Rider Comfort Food: There are a good number of comfort foods I like to plate after coming home from a not-so-hard day on the motorcycle or long day in the shop. With the exception of the skillet dishes (e.g., sausage, potatoes, onion and cabbage in a mild Dijon sauce) the really good stuff like pepper steak, beef stew, Mississippi roast, Irish stew, etc., takes some time. Not any more. On a lark, I picked up something that probably everyone else in the world already knew about - a pressure pot. I am posting this in case there's another old dumbass like me out there who doesn't know about these things.

[​IMG]

The make, model and features are irrelevant. What's important is the ability to rapidly fix really tasty comfort food that used to take hours in a slow cooker. This has now become an important riding accessory - one that stays home for when you get home from working or riding. Here's what it did for me late this afternoon.

[​IMG]

Easy peasy swiss steak over egg noodles, using one onion, a pound of bottom round, 1 packet of Lipton onion soup mix and 1 cup of burgundy wine and half cup of beef broth. Prep time was about 10 minutes (I am slow) and cook time was 35 minutes in the pressure pot. Meat was as tender as anything could be without turning to mush.

Cut meat into chunks and drown in flour, brown and throw in bottom of pot. Pour wine and onion soup mix into skillet meat drippings, mix and pour over meat. Add onions and set for 30 to 35 minutes and forget. Go have a cold beer. When ready to serve, thicken with a little corn starch after pressure cooking is done. Serve over noodles if you wish. Yumm!
    klaviator, dc_ok, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that looks downright tasty. Like the cooking time too.
    black 8, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    At The Bridge: Given the popularity of picturing your bike at a bridge, here's our latest that was taken several days ago. The span happened to be on a route we were taking south from the Mohawk trail, there was no traffic so a quick stop ensued.

[​IMG]

Looking downstream, water levels were low like you'd expect this time of year. This area is a popular spot where you see a lot of fly fishing.

[​IMG]
  16. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  17. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Those maps are super helpful.
    popscycle likes this.
  18. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Please remain on the bike to take future pictures of similar structures!
    popscycle likes this.
  19. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    That's a near perfect rest stop.
    popscycle likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Chased Trains Today:

[​IMG]

Caught some. More to follow.