Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lunch On The Porch: We were riding around up in NH today and were in the vicinity of Hancock NH when the noon lunch cravings began. For the second time, we had lunch at Fiddleheads, shown below.

[​IMG]

Once again, the food was average and not worth taking a picture of. The place wasn't very busy but may get so when the leaf peepers start showing up.

Edit Note: There's not a wealth of places to eat up in that neck of the woods so if you're in the area, the eatery is at coordinates 42.972852, -71.982324.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, zookster and 2 others like this.
  2. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took a nice ride around the Berkshires today and was heading down Rt 116 toward I-91 when I rode right by Pekarski's Sausage. I recalled your glowing review, so I turned around and got a couple smoked pork chops (and a kielbasa). Grilling them tonight!
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd and B10Dave like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Cool! Let us know how they turn out.
    KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  4. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! I will definitely be going back for the smoked pork chops. They are also super-easy to grill. As the guys at Pekarski's explained, they are already cooked (smoked), so the grill just heats them up and gives them a little char. Highly recommended!
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! When you go back, I might suggest you pick up a jar of the Maple Apple Drizzle or Maple Blueberry Drizzle to put on the chops. You won't regret it. They're both super on grilled chops.

[​IMG]
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sky Blue Waters: It's not hard enjoying the beginnings of fall riding around NH.

[​IMG]

With nary a person, car or boat as a distraction, you could almost hear the leaves starting to turn.

[​IMG]

I didn't take many pictures as the ride was too enjoyable to stop unless needed. I must admit this particular place reminded me of the Hamm's Beer commercials of yore and I did have a cold beer (not Hamm's) when I got back.
    black 8, KMichael, NxtGoRnd and 5 others like this.
  7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'll second this
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd and popscycle like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ship Shop Ship Saw: Still working down the Mystic pics. Here's one of the shops in the shipyard.

[​IMG]

Note the big ship saw. I am thinking it looks like those angling band ship saws built by L. Power & Co. around the turn of the last century. If so, it's truly a piece of vintage, historical ship-building machinery. Makes my Delta bandsaw look like a child's toy.
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd, bluestar and 3 others like this.
  9. K33

K33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No matter HOW big, BAND saws are (to me) one of the SAFEST big power tools in the shop!
    - If the blade breaks, it goes "click", and things stop cutting. No shrapnel involved!

What a beautiful piece of "Old Airhrn"!!!!!! (As "Art", I *AM* a beholder!)

p.s. I also saw it in the background of one of the diesel videos, it caught my eye, even in passing....

oh, and p.p.s - If it is the entire SAW that rotates (and not the table), you know that you "ain't dealing with 2x4's"!!!) :) (lovely)
    KMichael, NxtGoRnd and popscycle like this.
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The background here across the harbor looks suspiciously like the watercolor of Mystic in my home I referred to earlier.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I agree on the bandsaw being the safest. The one shop tool that scared me the most was my big old 3 hp shaper. Did many a cabinet door stiles, rails and panel inserts (as a hobby) but never did like using it. Sold the beast along with many of my other tools (longbed 8 in. jointer, 15 inch planer. ornamental mill, mortiser, etc. ) when we moved. Don't miss the shaper one bit.
    KMichael likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sweet Corn Run: One of the things we like about this time of year is sweet corn and the best, IMHO, is the "butter and sugar" variety. Frankly, I think the sweet corn around here is better than what I used to get when we lived in IL. As for procuring said maize, we like the super sweet (butter and sugar) sweet corn that comes from Ashland Farms. Lynne, who can no longer ride on the cycle, and I hopped into the Miata, put the top down and drove an hour to get there.

[​IMG]

These corn runs are an annual thing as the ride is quite nice, either astride the bike or ensconced in the Miata. If you're a sweet corn fan and in the area, the farm stand, shown above and below, is located at coordinates 42.322144, -72.109088.

[​IMG]

The good stuff wasn't in the baskets out front. It was inside to the left. You may have to ask for it as it sells fast and will be totally gone in several weeks.
    black 8, KMichael, NxtGoRnd and 2 others like this.
  13. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you can get your "corn fix" John but I just can't imagine driving for an hour to get it. In my area sweet corn is grown for the food processing industry. Also many vegetable growers have roadside stands and there are several farmer's markets not far from me. My closest source is five minutes away and there are at least 15 within a twenty minute ride. Also corn season here starts in late July and some will have product into October. We are truly blessed to live in such a diverse agricultural area. How much do you pay for a dozen cobs? Here it ranges from $4 a dozen to $6 for a "bakers" dozen. These are the last four from a "bakers" dozen and will be part of tomorrow's supper.

corn.jpg
    zookster, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some good looking corn there, Dave. You're fortunate to have so much good stuff close by. There are several farm stands closer to us by but we like the ride and the corn's a bit better at the Ashland place. Often, they 're the only place where we find the "butter and sugar" variety we like. Prices around here for a baker's dozen can range from $8 to $10. Supply and demand can do that to prices.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scene While Riding: A NH meetinghouse constructed in 1787.

[​IMG]
    zookster, KMichael, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  16. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Is Atlas Imperial still in operation?
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I think Atlas Imperial closed its doors sometime in the 1950s, probably due to competition of that era (e.g., Cummins, Detroit Diesel, GM EMD, Caterpillar, etc.). Their engines had a good reputation, I'm told, with some still in service.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Scouting Out Foliage: With the redhead in the shop (it started running rough) and the wife needing fresh air and sun, I hauled out the Miata for the purpose of scouting out places and scenes where I wanted to take foliage pics. With leaves just starting to fall, this isn't too far off. This was one such place, but not the scene.

[​IMG]

I really don't have enough pics of this 10-year-old gem of a car.
    zookster, KMichael, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  19. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding pics and history. Enjoyable read. Thx for sharing.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Seen While Riding: Can't remember what year this Pawnee pic was taken but it was in September of some year between 2017 and now. Also, don't think it's been posted before but seems worthy of a post for those who like planes, in addition to cars, trucks, motorcycles, trains, boats, tools, motors, machines, etc.

[​IMG]
    CamoColton, KMichael, B10Dave and 2 others like this.