Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    September Sky: An early September sky over the water a little north of us.

[​IMG]
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Warm Day On The Mystic: A picture's worth many words.

[​IMG]
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Whitewater Low: Low water levels on one of the good whitewater spots on the Deerfield River.

[​IMG]

Rafters and floaters generally wait for a water release from an upstream dam before taking on this stretch of the river during low water periods.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Nature's Relief Station: It's called a forest, which is a good place for taking a whiz and/or a picture.

[​IMG]

It's good to make some noise, though, as there can be critters about (e.g., bears, coyotes, moose, bobcats, etc. .
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some September Bridge Photos: You don't ride across this bridge unless you can ride up 7 steep steps and swivel around a tight 90 degree corner.

[​IMG]

This is a footbridge built over what was once either a street or railroad bridge. It spans the Blackstone River.

[​IMG]

It's a nice bridge to walk across, though.

[​IMG]
    zookster, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    September Pond Reflections: Ride by a place like this and, if you're like me, you have to stop, take it all in, and wistfully imagine how a topwater bug would bring a a lunker up to smash into it.

[​IMG]

You would, though, likely come back to the reality that riding was more visually interesting, stimulating and fun than fishing.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    OMG It's Wrapple Time: I was just told that it's "wrapple time". That would be the time of year when the baker lady in Williamsburg gets the kind of apples she likes and starts making and selling wrapples, one of which is shown below.

[​IMG]

I am checking the weather as we speak. Could this be even tastier with a just smidgen of Maple Apple Drizzle? That could be dangerous. You mouth could explode in tastiness.
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go for it John. This ain't no dress rehearsal. You only get one kick at the cat.:-):-)
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Reminiscing On A Bridge: Exactly one year ago to the day, I was standing on a bridge that was an important part of my youth. It was a bridge that I walked across, played on, rode my bicycle across, jumped from and powered my scoot over - thousands of times over some 16 years of being ambulant in that small town on a river. Built in 1926, that suspension bridge was the key and shortest path to getting from my little house to the swimming pool in the park. The swimming pool was the epicenter of all good things and happy times in the summer.

[​IMG]

This was the same bridge my father walked across as a kid on his way to the same swimming pool (built in 1925). We were both lifeguards at that pool, where we could both do a one and a half with a full twist off the tower platform in our youth. Some of us underwent the (bellyflop) pain and humiliation of learning to do this so we could impress the girls. Dad could also do a full gainer, but I never got the hang of that one. Other towns around would bus their kids to this pool, making it a teenager's social mecca. Add in all the people who came to watch and you had quite a gathering, as shown below (and quite typical).

[​IMG]

Things are different now. Many of the trees are gone, having fallen victim to disease. The pool is gone, the town having squandered the trust money that was set aside for its upkeep and maintenance. The park is mostly empty. There are no kids to be seen in the park or on the river, but the bridge still stands. I'm told it doesn't get used much.

[​IMG]

Back in the day, a small group of us kids could set up a pretty good harmonic motion going across. I was fortunate to have grown up in a time and place like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I shall take that as good advice, Dave. We will not be a milquetoast about this. A wrapple shall be had and it will be further drizzled upon by said maple apple stuff.
    KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    T/V Liberator: That would be the current name of the vessel that was dry docked at the Mystic shipyard when I was there last. It had been brought up into the yard with the ship lift for maintenance. Liberator was built and launched in 1984 at Peterson Builders in Sturgeon Bay, WI. In 1985, the boat was transferred to the U.S. Naval Academy as YP-679.

[​IMG]

Serving as a training vessel at the U.S. Naval Academy, it later served as a research vessel with the Office Of Naval Research and was unofficially named Starfish. The boat was placed out of service and struck from the naval registry in 2007 and later transferred to the Merchant Marine Academy.

[​IMG]

The boat is currently serving as a training ship for the the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point on Long Island NY. Typically carrying a crew of 6 or more, the boat has two 450 HP, V12 Detroit Diesel engines.

[​IMG]

In working down and researching my pile of Mystic pics, I ran across these internet photos of the boat, the first being in 2003 as a research vessel.

[​IMG]

Below is a more colorful picture taken in 2011 as the Liberator.

[​IMG]
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Weaning Was Nearly Complete: This one's from the vault of old, near-duplicates (i.e., multiple shots previously not posted). I had had a good bit of the 2013 summer riding Kevin's GS during the week when he was working. After putting some number of thousand miles on his GS, I got in tune with it. By the time of this pic, taken in late summer, my dislike for the GL had grown to the point I didn't want to ride it and neither did Kevin but ride it I did when we both went out. The GL1800 wasn't quite the rattle box my previous GL was but the tupperware squeaked a lot, fork seals didn't last, the ergos hurt my back, and it would ghost shift. Aside from all that, this road sofa handled like a wallowing pig by comparison.

[​IMG]

Thus,the GL got the moniker "Hondapotamus" - a porcine potomus at that. I am thinking it was on this very ride that Kevin switched bikes with me when we got back. He took the potamus home out of kindness and posed it up on G&U freight dock. Symbolic? I think so. When the GS I ordered arrived Christmas Eve day of that year, we were both fully weaned off cruisers.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Waterfront Scene: The fishing sloop whose stern is showing (i.e., the Emma C. Berry) is one of the oldest surviving vessels of its type. It was built in 1866 in Noank, CT, and is of a sail type known as a Noank smack or sloop smack.

[​IMG]
  14. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just there on Sunday!

IMG_2357.jpg
    zookster, KMichael, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Great pic! Thanks for sharing it with us! The house still looks good since I last rode by 7 years ago.
    KMichael likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Last Tango: It was at the end of summer in 2013 that this picture was taken and the last time the two behemoths were out in the wilds together.

[​IMG]

I would have said it was the last time we danced these two ladies around; however, it was always less of a dance and more of a waddling around. The GL was gone several months after this picture was taken and the Harley's been under the covers ever since.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I switched bikes with my best riding buddy many years ago. He took my first Sportster and I took command of his near ocean going GL1500 for about 50 miles. Upon stopping he loved the XL except the seat and I said I'd buy a Miata before his land yacht.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Ha - Good reply on your part. If I'd have had any sense, I'd have bought a Miata much earlier instead of my GL1500. That thing handled like crap, had intermittent steering wobble when braking at low speed and rattled like a bucket of legos after 20K miles. Sometime later, I thought a used GL1800 thinking it would be better. Again, the impetus was the fact that Lynne wouldn't get on anything else. Unfortunately, the 1800 had its own set of unique issues and it was the Miata that saved the day with her.
    KMichael, B10Dave and RedDogAlberta like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Seaport View: Looking toward the seaport village.

[​IMG]
    zookster, KMichael, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Planes On The Street: I was by there several days ago and all the planes are gone now. I never did figure out what a bunch of small planes were doing parked along a busy street (i.e., Providence Road at coordinates 42.150952, -71.649369). At one time, there were as many as three tied down at this location. Sat view still shows two this morning.

[​IMG]

The spot is miles away from any airport. The above pic was taken 9/18/2018 and sometime between then and now, the planes took off, most likely on the back of a truck, given their state of disrepair.
    zookster, KMichael, Shaggie and 3 others like this.