Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On The Waterfront: Another Mystic scene.

[​IMG]

For those of us who like old-fashioned seaport pictures.
    zookster, emptyHead, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Redhead Is Back From The Doctor: It began running a little rough a while back and then got real rough, like a cylinder goin bad. The problem turned out to be an ignition coil, with resultant fouled plugs. Although swamped by pre- and post Labor Day bike work, they got the redhead back to me today shortly after lunch.

[​IMG]

Kudos to Kyle, et. al. at Max BMW in S. Windsor, CT. (iPhone photo)
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Welcome To The Seaport And Thanks, Tom: When we paid to enter the seaport through the building below, they were giving out free copies of Thomas Watson Jr's book, Pacific Passage: A South Pacific Adventure, which retailed for about the same price as admission to the port. Watson was the CEO and Chairman of IBM and a big time sailor with a big time boat and seemingly a big hero to the seaport folks.

[​IMG]

Going through that building looking at Watson's book took me back to a time when Watson's people at IBM tried to get me fired. At the time I was working at a division of a company that at the time was IBM's largest customer after the U.S. government. I had recommended to senior management that we purchase non-IBM memory for all of our IBM 370-155 computers, saving millions of dollars. Well, as I understood it, Watson made phone calls and sent legions of executives to do a business beatdown of this lowly operations research analyst. Sane people simply didn't attach non-IBM things to their big mainframe computers. I survived that skirmish, but at a cost - I later left the company and moved out of state. Watson later had a heart attack, retired, went sailing and wrote the book that I carried around the seaport. In the long run, Tom's actions did me a big favor, although that certainly wasn't his intention. Getting stuck in the bowels of that huge company, hung up there by all the benefits and goldren retirement goodies, resulted in a higher mortality. They didn't think much of my motorcycles either.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good service from your dealer John. You are fortunate to have a good one. I have sold my F650GS but am still in the BMW family with my R50/5.
    KMichael, GAS GUY and popscycle like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Posing By The Abandoned: I would have posted this in the "Lets See Your Bike At Abandoned Places" thread, but the building doesn't look like anything other than a normal warehouse with loading dock.

[​IMG]
    zookster, N-Id-Jim, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Max isn't the closest BMW dealer; however, the more local BMW dealer has become more of a purveyor of Indian, Ducati and KTM motorcycles and doesn't seem to have a good stable of people who can wrench a BMW. You might wait a long time to get things fixed on your Beemer. I remember hearing someone say their BMW mechanic only came in on certain days.
    B10Dave likes this.
  7. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Great news!
    popscycle likes this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I Was Not Led Into Temptation: I got a pass this morning to take the bike and make a wrapple run to Williamsburg. It was a perfect day. Weather in the 60s under clear skies with no wind. Bike just back from the for the doctor and running well. Slept well and got up with no aches this morning. Although highly tempted, I didn't do it and got out the Miata instead.

[​IMG]

It was Lynne's birthday and I couldn't leave her in the dust on this fine day, even though I'd gotten a pass and the redhead was calling me from beyond the garage door. We made the 80 mile drive to the Williamsburg general store with the top down and the heat on for a short while (it was about 57 when we started out). The Miata puts out a lot of heat - enough to drive it top down in the high 30s. Today, we just needed a little for the old bones.

[​IMG]

When you enter the store, which is mostly a gift shop, the pastries are in the back.

[​IMG]

It was here when the next set of temptations formed.

[​IMG]

From all the pies, breads and pastries, I fought the temptations and only bought a few wrapples and some cinnamon rolls. That, however, prompted the next temptation - to eat a wrapple as soon as I got outside the store. That's what I did the last time here. The fight with that temptation was helped by a look from Lynne, who wanted to save them for when we got home. You can see below what the last temptation was - some drizzle.

[​IMG]

As a footnote, along the way home we stopped by Pekarski Sausage Co. and picked up some smoked pork chops, andouille sausage and more maple blueberry drizzle. She had a good day and I was delivered from the evils of temptation.
    zookster, KMichael, N-Id-Jim and 4 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Old Navy Launch: They give boat rides around the seaport on this. I should have taken one to get more photos of this wonderful place.

[​IMG]
    zookster, NxtGoRnd, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Re: Miata. I was out yesterday in the country on a cool, blustery day and on a rural back road surrounded by rolling fields of cattle and horses when I came upon a restored Triumph Spitfire with the top down driven by an old man with a handlebar moustash in an Ivy cap. I can't even remember the last Spitfire I saw.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    RE: Spitfire. It's been decades since I've seen one and when I read the words "Triumph Spitfire", I immediately though of Lucas' ignition reputation then of the coil that went south on my GS. A strange connection, certainly, but not the first this weekend. More to follow on that. On another note, I do have a nice tweed flat cap that would fit the stereotype MG or Triumph driver. Miata pilots tend to wear baseball caps.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    There's a thriving scooter club locally - Crude City Scooters. I fit in with the Grom. One of the guys has both an old Jag E-Type and (get this), a Lotus Elan on the restoration go. His Vespa is over 40 years old and he rides it daily. Many Sunday rides wind up back at his place for car and bike chatter.
    B10Dave, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Back in the mid 50s, I rode both a Cushman Eagle and a Vespa. Loved them both but the Cushman was the more rugged (except for the centrifugal clutch) while the Vespa was the most fun on the street. When these motorcycles get too heavy for me, I'll likely end my days with another scoot.
    B10Dave, KMichael and RedDogAlberta like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Shakedown Cruise: This morning I took the redhead for its first ride since she got home from the doctors on Friday.

[​IMG]

The weather was nice with temps in the low 60s under skies that were alternately sunny and cloudy. Only a slight wind.

[​IMG]

I did a 100 mile run with only three stops to stretch and hydrate, taking pictures only during these stops.

[​IMG]

The bike is running better than I remember, which suggests the coil was in a slow fail mode for some time. I remember earlier in the year that backing off the throttle would sometimes result in a small backfire, whose frequency and intensity gradually increased to the point where, all at once after a startup, it wouldn't hardly run below 3,000 RPM. When I called Max, Kyle immediately said he suspected the coil. Anyway, it runs like a dream now and, to top it off, I got the bike back with a windshield that was only this clean when I first installed it.

Edit Note: I'll probably have to go ride it again later today to see if I am not dreaming about how good it runs.
    black 8, zookster, NxtGoRnd and 4 others like this.
  15. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    I am jealous. Great ride. Great snack.
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  16. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Back in business.
    popscycle likes this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Easy Moto Meal: I threw together one of my favorite repasts tonight - bubble and squeak (my version thereof). Lots of leftovers in this one including potatoes, onions, peppers, cabbage plus some recently purchased andouille sausage and bacon cooked up in a skillet in some beef broth with a little dijon mustard mixed in.

[​IMG]

Very tasty.
    NxtGoRnd, KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you are aware enough to cook on a gas stove John. Don't understand how so many can like those electric abominations. Gas forever!!!
    black 8, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Never did care for electric stoves. As I recall, electrics are slower to get things going, and use way more energy than gas. Also, when in doubt look to see what the pros prefer (i.e., gas). Gas is more adjustable (you cam see how much heat the burner is throwing up by looking at the flame, which also better heats both the bottom and side of the pan. This is important stuff in the world of old age and motorcycle meals where you don't have all the time in the world when adventure beckons or you're just tired out from a longer ride.
    B10Dave and KMichael like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Life-Saving Station: Below is a picture of the New Shoreham life-saving station, which was built in 1874 to government specifications for the U.S. Life-Saving Services. The Life-Service was established in 1871 and became part of the Coast Guard in 1915.

[​IMG]

Originally located in Old Harbor on Block Island, Rhode Island, the building was moved by barge to Mystic in 1968. The lower level was essentially a shed for surf boats and breeches buoy equipment and the upper level sleep and storage rooms. It should be noted that the large doors to the shed were located inland, not on the water side, so they were accessible by town roads. The architecture of the the station above is like that of stations that were located up and down the Atlantic coast. Most are now gone but some still exist as museums or endangered buildings. Below are internet photos of some.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    zookster, B10Dave, NxtGoRnd and 2 others like this.