1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florence Was Dragging Bottom: That would be the correct thing to say. The 1926 fishing boat Florence shown below on the boat lift was what's called a dragger. It would drag a cone-shaped net across the bottom to scoop up fish. Built by Franklin Post, the boat was part of a class known as Post Draggers, that plied the waters off CT.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, K33, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Small Town Hall: I rode by this one, built in 1817, pulled off the side of the road and took the pic without getting off the redhead. This town hall is in New Ipswich, NH. Being significantly smaller than many other halls, one is inclined to think the good townspeople didn't have either enough interest to construct something larger. The town was, by this time, reasonably affluent.

[​IMG]

The town hall is located at coordinates 42.748272, -71.854150.
    klaviator, Shaggie, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Clam Shack: What a typical waterfront clam shack used to look like. Currently being used as a storage shed.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, zookster, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  4. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Maximum carriage capacity!
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The stalls are numbered 1 through 19.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dam Stop: Each passing year, stops to stretch and get butt circulation restarted become more frequent. Yesterday I made a stop at the Clinton dam, which is a popular stopping point for both bikers and the cage crowd. Fortunately, the stupid covid barricades that tried (and failed) to keep people out are gone. Also gone are the frenetic and idiotic do-gooders who ran around telling people "You're gonna die if you gather here." . There were only a dozen or so cars parked along the road here, which made the place seem deserted.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I stopped, got off redhead and walked around a bit to limber up the joints, taking several scenery pics in the process. Shots of the bike and the dam were, IMHO, the only ones worth posting. The afternoon was somewhat cool and overcast with a high cloud layer.

[​IMG]

Later on, I did find a very interesting deserted place. That'll be the subject of another post as I was able to do some more extensive research on it.
    klaviator, zookster, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Rather Large Headache: That would be a headache ball that was fastened to an old crane up in NH. Riding by today, I had to stop and get another picture. I have others but nothing current,

[​IMG]

This thing's somewhere between 8 and 12 ft. in diameter. I am guessing it and the old crane have been used in the past for smashing things. The thing is located at coordinates 42.920606, -71.841942.
    klaviator, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Yankee Siege: That's the place where the big headache ball in the previous post is located. Also on those grounds is a very large, old trebuchet, shown below.

[​IMG]

Years back, they tossed pumpkins at a castle located in the next field.

[​IMG]

There are also some cranes laying around that were used to drop and smash things. Good fun.
    klaviator, zookster, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Sterling Abandonment: Of the abandoned places around here, this is one is near the top of the list - an abandoned inn of some repute that dates back to 1908.

[​IMG]

The old inn has just the right degree of ramshackle with creepy vines making it hard to see the place. And then, there's the noise the wind makes when its blustery. Some first class creepyness here.

[​IMG]

Below is what the place used to look like.

[​IMG]

The inn is located at coordinates 42.433966, -71.763870.
    klaviator, zookster, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice find John...

Looking at this old lady I was prompted to google the Sterling Inn...

240worcester15.jpg
  11. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    You just have to think that at some point that inn could have been saved. Sad.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    When we moved out here in the late 70s, the place looked like that but with a few vines.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I am thinking it could have were it not for the fact that it's located on a road that's not particularly attractive in a spot that's not particularly scenic. That is to say it is a spot on a road in a town that time and traffic has passed by. Were it a top-tier restaurant, it might have a chance. Inn's were having a tough time before the election infection and are in big trouble now.
    klaviator and KMichael like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Oyster Cloister: Well, not really. It's more of an oyster culling and shucking shed, where the tasty mollusks were taken off the boat, sorted by size and packed into barrels for shipment to customers.

[​IMG]

This culling shed was built in in 1874 by a Mr. Thomas in New Haven, CT, which was once the largest oyster distribution city in New England. Later, Mr. Thomas' son, John, used the shed as shucking house. The building was used in the family business until 1956 and donated to Mystic in 1970. It was moved to Mystic by barge, restored and moved onto the pier in 1984.

[​IMG]

This is to say the shed's the real deal and not some reproduction. Inside are a few of the things you would find in such a place.

[​IMG]

On the port side of the shed is the 1866 well smack fishing vessell, Emma C. Berry. The well smack design has a pyramid-shaped well amidships with holes in the hull so that fresh water can flow through the well, thus keeping fish alive for transport to market.

[​IMG]

On the starboard side of the culling shed is the sloop Nellie. Built on Long Island in 1891, the 35 foot boat, called an oyster or shoal draft sloop, dredged Long Island Sound for oysters.

[​IMG]

As the demand for oysters grew, beds were overfished by the mid to late 1800s and oystermen learned to cultivate them in undersea "farms" . Today, you can find oyster farms all along the New England coast from Maine down to Connecticut and Long Island Sound.

Back where I grew up in central Illinois, fresh oysters were not something we understood. We did, though, greatly appreciate and relish both fried oysters and oyster stew that came from canned oysters.
    klaviator, zookster, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  15. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Rust-Oleum needed!
    popscycle likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    NH Water Pics: Just some miscellaneous pictures taken up in NH the other day. First is a wetlands scene I encountered.

[​IMG]

Another is a nearly-dry mill stream I crossed (pics of the mill will post later).

[​IMG]

Finally, below is a pic from a bridge over the Piscataquog River, which is also very low.

[​IMG]

They really need some rain up there.
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Clinton Grove Academy: I came upon this place quite by accident while rooting around the back roads of Weare, NH, today. Out in the boondocks, this structure was the first Quaker seminary in NH. Other than a few old houses, there wasn't much around here, making me initially wonder why they put the school here. Anyway, I drove off the road and through the grass up to the place, which had no road or path up to it.

[​IMG]

I learned the acadeny dated to 1834 but had burned once and been rebuilt. Also, there was a village here at one time with a post office, blacksmith shop, store, tannery, meeting house and several homes. I didn't see much evidence of such a village and, as such, didn't look very hard.

[​IMG]

There is a small stone marker on the property, shown in the first pic, with a bronze plaque that says:

1834 - 1934
    Clinton Grove, North Weare, N.H.
    N.H.'s first quaker seminary
    was located on this site.
    Moses A. Cartland was the first teacher.
    "The task was thine, to mold and fashion
    Life's plastic newness into grace,
    to make the boyish heart heroic,
    and light with thought the maiden's face."​
  18. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi John. Went to a friend's place last weekend to participate in an observation run with his section of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group. He lives in Prince Edward County which is almost an island on the north shore of Lake Ontario near Belleville. The next city west of there is Trenton where there is a large Canadian Forces air base. On that base is the Canadian Air Force Museum. I thought you might like to see one of the two Handley Paige Halifax bombers still in existence. This one was rescued from a 750 foot deep lake in Norway and restored to be displayed at the museum. The story of the plane is in the photos. Aircraft content here has been a little lacking lately so I took the liberty to remedy that. Hope you enjoy.

Airforce Museum 060.jpg

Airforce Museum 062.jpg

Airforce Museum 011.jpg

Airforce Museum 018.jpg

Airforce Museum 019.jpg

Airforce Museum 037.jpg

Airforce Museum 059.jpg
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave! That was quite the restoration job and, BTW, super pics!!
    B10Dave likes this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Addenda & Errata - Road Scenes: Below are some other unposted pics taken on the road this month whilst milling around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, zookster and 3 others like this.