1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And your Google prompted me to look into this place a little deeper. Immediately below is the north side of the inn.

[​IMG]

I found some interesting but grainy old pics of the place, taken from the internet, and cleaned them up as best I could. The first of these was probably taken around 100 years or so ago and shows the inn from the south or opposite side of the above pic.

[​IMG]

The old photo below shows the inn's lobby.

[​IMG]

Below is the reception area.

[​IMG]

Just beyond was the dining room.

[​IMG]

And, being an inn, it had bedrooms for the weary traveler.

[​IMG]

Finally, to put all of this into some context, below is a menu from back in the day.

[​IMG]

In looking this over, I was reminded of the time in Germany when I could get a plate of schnitzel and fries (i.e., pommes frites) for about the same price as that small sirloin (i.e. $0.75).
    klaviator, franken, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  2. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Great find.
    popscycle likes this.
  3. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    This is great -- thanks so much for sharing.
    B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  4. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    I like the volume discount on the Worcester Beer!
    B10Dave likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    If that beer came from Worcester Brewing Co., I don't think their volume discounts got them through prohibition. Some data showed that company started up and then went under three times, ending in 1933. If you go out of business the very year prohibition ends, your beer must have really sucked.

[​IMG]
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Several More Lighthouse Pics: In the process of converting the last the Mystic pictures from RAW, I found there are several more half-decent photos of the lighthouse you might enjoy as summer slips into the distance. These are below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're getting close to the end of the Mystic pics. There were hundreds taken, a good number of which will not be posted. If time and circumstances permit, we will return for some fall color at the seaport.
  7. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I'm not a train guy but plan to check out the Hoosac Tunnel that you've pictured a few times. Is getting a bike to the entrance fairly straight forward?
    KMichael likes this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Getting a bike to the eastern portal is a piece of cake (i.e., like pulling off the road into a parking lot) but the western entrance is less so (and may be more gated since the cave-in). Frankly, the eastern portal is way more interesting as it abuts the Deerfield River.
    B10Dave, KMichael and ShOqUePoT like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Fall Color On The Road: I was on a 200 mile ride into NH again on Friday last digging into an old railroad. I stopped several times to photograph foliage color progress and this is what I found up around New Boston.

[​IMG]

I wasn't really doing a "leaf peeper" run but did think to get a few pics where there was some color.

[​IMG]

With a little more research riding TBD into the railroad thing, I'll be back up there again next week if the weather holds.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Train Fix: Rode by the yard, parked the redhead in the weeds and sneaked up on this loafing trio.

[​IMG]

I've seen more action in a RR museum.

[​IMG]

As always, nothing was moving. I think this was the perfectly wrong time for Mellon to put the RR up for sale.
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you change how you host/post your photo's? I can no longer see any of your photos including those from the very start on page 1. I don't have this problem on anyone else's posts throughout this forum or other forums/www sites. All I get is an [​IMG]
    Madman4049 and popscycle like this.
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    no problems viewing popscycle's photos, at least from my end....
    B10Dave likes this.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sometimes there's signal loss/packet drops/outage along a certain path between internet nodes that affects only a subset of internet users. Sometimes the packets can be rerouted and sometimes not. Sometimes there's a DNS server problem somewhere that makes it temporarily impossible to access the picture hosting server. I suspect that's what you're experiencing. I did check to make sure my picture hosting server is up and running OK. If the problem persists, please let me know.
  14. NxtGoRnd

NxtGoRnd This Time Around, Wearing Out Tires Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am not seeing the photos either.:nah
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Another Great Old Structure: This would be the 1801 meeting house in Francistown, NH, shown below. I had to stop and pose the redhead for this old beauty.

[​IMG]

It is located at coordinates 42.987381, -71.812239.
    klaviator, zookster, The Opa and 4 others like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics fine here. Love that old meeting house.
    popscycle likes this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    About Those Horse Sheds: I had previously posted pics of the more unusual, curved horse shed in Hancock, NH and mentioned other towns that had them adjacent to the town hall, church and/or meeting house. Well, below is the shed in Francistown, NH, in the town center.

[​IMG]

The shed is adjacent Francistown's 1847 town hall and academy (i.e., local school). It was where folks parked their steeds when attending school or to civic business.

[​IMG]

You can see that the shed's been renovated over the years, noting that some of the posts have been replaced.

[​IMG]

As previously mentioned, the old town hall was built in 1847 and also served as a secondary school until 1921. The Monadnock Ledger had this bit about the school:

The building was constructed in 1847 to serve the combined needs of the town government and education in the small community. The two-story structure was designed in a Greek Revival style that accommodated government and academic needs. It was built with halls and smaller chambers to support government and educational functions. The building acted as an academy from 1847 to 1921 and schooled the likes of President Franklin Pierce and NH Gov. and U.S. Sen. Levi Woodbury. It was used as a government building until 1965. Source.
    [​IMG]

The bit about president Franklin Pierce having gone to school here is a bit of a stretch. Pierce was born in 1804, which would have made him 43 or older, since the school didn't exist before that. Also, records have him being schooled in Hillsboro and Honcock, NH, in his more informative years. Given the fact that Pierce isn't thought of all that well from a historical and current events perspective (i.e., he fought against the abolitionist movement, which wanted to end slavery), I'd think locals would be slow to adopt him as a historical student in their town.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Street Scene: Just your typical old time, seaport street. I took this picture because the neighborhood grocery store back in the small town I grew up in looked like the one below.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 4 others like this.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    That sailor's reading room looks interesting; what's that all about?
    KMichael and B10Dave like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sailor's reading rooms were not uncommon in seaport towns and villages. They were built/set up as a refuge to encourage sailors to spend shore time reading/improving their mind and morals instead of drinking in taverns/pubs and carousing with ladies of ill-repute. It was thought that sailors of the era needed to spend more time thinking about Christian ideals and less time about women and drink.