1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Francistown Followup: After posting pics of the Francistown, NH, town hall and academy, I did some follow up research, learned it had been structurally renovated in 2018.

[​IMG]

Work to the 1847 building included structural upgrades to the second floor and attic trusses, along with energy and systems improvements. Below are some pictures I found on nhpreservation.org. Temporary posts were put up to support the second floor while it and the attic structures were rehabilitated, as shown below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other work included construction of a new stairwell and installation of an elevator, sprinkler system, insulation, new windows, etc.

This post is for those of you who find the restoration of old buildings interesting.
    klaviator, KMichael, zookster and 3 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Firehouse Ride Pays Railroad Dividends: I went up into NH to look at lovely old firehouse in New Boston. Shown below, the fire house was built in 1889 after a town fire two years earlier.

[​IMG]

Below is an internet pic of the fire house and town hall as they looked around 1890.

[​IMG]

This is what the town hall looks like now.

[​IMG]

Today, the the old fire house serves as town offices, currently that of the recreation department.

[​IMG]

It was during this ride that I discovered that the small town of New Boston had its own railroad, all the stations of which have survived to this day. The New Boston Railroad will be the subject of another post, as I have just today photographed the last of three stations.
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I'll Be Darned, It Was A Railroad - Part 1: When you're zipping down a gravel road that's totally flat and level with gentle, sweeping curves in an area that doesn't have flat spots, you may wonder if this was ever a rail bed. This is to say that this particular stretch of road was totally unlike any other in the area. Time to ask questions.

[​IMG]

As it turned out, this was once a rail bed and, with a little research, I learned that the location of my bike in the picture above is about where the train was in the picture below.

[​IMG]

This particular shortline was the New Boston Railroad that ran 5 to 6 miles from New Boston to Goffstown, NH. Below is a picture of the terminus in New Boston. The building on the right is the railroad station, built in 1893, which is now a private residence. The gravel road was once the rail bed and yard.

[​IMG]

The little structure on the left used to be a section house, shown below back in the day. It looks to have been modified into a garden shed.

[​IMG]

Below is a map of the New Boston terminus shown above. The red dot is where the picture was taken.

[​IMG]

The railroad was constructed between 1892 and 1893 by J..R. Whipple so he could supply his Boston hotels with produce from his New Boston farms. Whipple was a New Boston native who made his fortune running three Boston hotels (i.e., Parker House, Young's Hotel and the Hotel Touraine). In 1881, Whipple established a 2,500-acre farm in New Boston to supply his hotels with meat, dairy products, eggs, apples, cider and vinegar . The railroad, which gave Whipple a greater degree of vertical integration, cost $84,000 to build, which was about %15,000 per mile.

Below is the official "Your Bike At A Train Station" pose at the New Boston depot taken several days earlier when I knew less about the RR. The station was designed by Bradford Gilbert, who later went on to design New York City's Grand Central Station.

[​IMG]

Below is a pic of the place taken when it was a railroad depot. The station is located at coordinates 42.978385, -71.691058.

[​IMG]

More to follow in Part 2.
    klaviator, KMichael, B10Dave and 7 others like this.
  4. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Fascinating. Some great history there. Spot on photos too!
    popscycle likes this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I'll Be Darned, It Was A Railroad - Part 2: In Part 1, I posted about discovering a very short, short line railroad that ran 5-6 miles between New Boston and Goffstown, NH. I learned this after a short romp on a gravel road led me to the New Boston Railroad station, which is now a private residence.

[​IMG]

Located at coordinates 42.978385, -71.691058, the station looked like this after the railroad was completed in 1893. The station had a fire in 1895 but was quickly rebuilt to the original plan by the architect (who later designed Grand Central Station in NYC.

[​IMG]

The railroad's purpose was to ship produce from J.P. Whipple's substantial farm to his 3 hotels in NYC (i.e., The Parker House, Touraine and Young's Hotel ). Below is a picture of the main house on Whipple's farm.

[​IMG]

The route from New Boston to Goffstown ran by the farm and small mills of the Lang family, thus creating a flag stop called Lang. Below is a map of the route to Lang.

[​IMG]

Only a small part of this rideable. The segment from the New Boston station to the county 4H grounds is a gravel road portion of what's a rail trail. Beyond that, everything is overgrown up to Capital Rock, shown in the map above.
    After that, the rail trail has been rehabilitated all the way to the Lang station, shown below as it appeared back in the day.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like today when standing on the overgrown ground where the tracks once were.

[​IMG]

The trail trail folks diverted the path around to the back side of the station.

[​IMG]

There are informational posters on the back side of the station that provide some of the station and railroad's history.

[​IMG]

I couldn't find any pictures of the train at the Lang stop. Part 3 on the segment from Lang to Goffstown to follow.
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 5 others like this.
  6. Fordfixer

Fordfixer Semi Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Had one of those a lifetime ago...great memories
    KMichael, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  7. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday's ride on the Tomato Trail. This is in Phillipston, MA:

IMG_2445.jpg
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Lovely piece of history John...
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I've one more part to go on the rail segment between Lang and Goffstown. I hope to get the pics done today.
    KMichael, B10Dave and black 8 like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great pic. That is a church I've missed the many times I have gone through Phillipston (bought a bike from Doug at Cycle Design there way back). I was on the Tomato Trail myself yesterday.

[​IMG]
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see guywithchickens photo's but still not yours. Weird!
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Our pictures are on different servers. There's an internet link drop somewhere that's preventing your URL link to mine.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I'll Be Darned, It Was A Railroad - Part 3: In Parts 1 and 2, I posted about discovering a very short, short line railroad that ran 5-6 miles between New Boston and Goffstown, NH. It was construct by J.R. Whipple, a NYC hotelier and New Boston native to ship produce from his NB farm to NY by way of Manchester, NH. The closes terminal that would get his goods to Manchester and down to NYC was in Goffstown, NH, so he built his little railroad from New Boston to Goffstown with an intermediate flag stop at the Gregg/Lang farm/mill village. The line was dedicated June 22, 1893, as shown below. Records suggest over 1,000 people attended and were served a feast by Wh-pple's hotel staff, who were brought to NB for the event. The event was supposedly held on the town common.

[​IMG]

The NBRR was essentially a freight line that also had a passenger car or two that shuttled people between NB, Lang, Goffstown and ultimately Manchester. Lang was a flag stop as there weren't that many people at that mill and farm location. Below is another pic of the Lang station.

[​IMG]

The route from Lang to Goffstown is well known as they've preserved most of the rail trail. It looks like this, with no motorized vehicles allowed.

[​IMG]

Below is a map of the route. The NB trains switched onto the Boston & Maine tracks in Goffstown that went to the town's B&M station.

[​IMG]

The old freight terminal and depot, as shown below in a postcard pic, can still be seen in Goffstown.

[​IMG]

The depot was moved some 30 ft to the left from its position to the right of the freight terminal shown above and is now one of those foo-foo coffee joints name Apotheca.

[​IMG]

The hardware store behind the station is where the depot originally stood. Just to the left (north) of the the hardware store (behind the station) is the old freight house, shown below. The tracks ran past where that red container is.

[​IMG]

The last passenger-carrying train left NB on June 11, 1931 with the last freight shortly thereafter. For a more complete history, see New Boston Historical Society.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Fog In The Bog, Not: I shot this pic on a ride yesterday thinking it would make an interesting photo. There was just a spot of sunlight out on the wetlands that, when converted from RAW, looked like fog as the camera tried to adjust for the various light levels and over exposed the sunlit area.

[​IMG]

Some would say this shot called for HDR but I don't do that.
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Redhead At Milford Station: That would be Milford, NH. Train tracks were on the right where the bushes are. Carriages, and later cars, drove up under the portico that's now the garage entrance.

[​IMG]

Bring back the trains!
    klaviator, zookster, KMichael and 4 others like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Charles Morgan Redux: Below is a different, perhaps better, picture of the whaler Charles Morgan that I found from the August foray down to Mystic.

[​IMG]

When it comes to ships, boats, planes and trains; you just can't have enough pictures thereof - especially this 3-masted ship, which is the last wooden whaler in the world. As noted, it was built in 1841 in New Bedford, MA.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Cleaning Up The Waterfront: Am cleaning up the remaining pictures of the Mystic waterfront - there aren't many left that I haven't been processed. These are two that now have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The images of summer are fading fast - thus the remaining pics.
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Are the fall colors taking form up in your neck of the woods? I'm hoping to run into some vibrant colors in the northern lower of Michigan this weekend.
    B10Dave, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    You can find spots of color around here, such as shown below, but it's sketchy rather than generally colorful.

[​IMG]

The color above is the exception around here rather than the rule. It may be better up in NH. We'll be checking your thread for any MI color you find.
    klaviator, zookster, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  20. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Great, great, great post.
    popscycle likes this.