1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Love these posts with historical references. Very cool.
    popscycle likes this.
  2. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the Tomato trail last weekend, the colors seemed a bit muted this year. Maybe because of the September drought? Some places are still a week or two from peak color.
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you've nailed it. Muted is exactly what I found while out on a short ride yesterday.

[​IMG]

Am thinking that by the time the oaks get some color, the more colorful maples will have lost all their leaves.
    klaviator, Shaggie, zookster and 3 others like this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    It Was A Hit And Miss: As ADV rides go, this one was definitely a big hit and a miss. That earlier teaser pic was of a Fairbanks Morse "hit and miss" gas engine, shown again below in somewhat greater detail. Alsop shown is a big clue as to what this place was all about. I certainly didn't get the clue right away, though.

[​IMG]

The wooden round box sitting between the engine and the Deming pump is called a "measure". This place is an old 1858 mill that still makes these "measures."

[​IMG]

As old mills go, this one is both photogenic and interesting. I grabbed a few pics, such as the one above and below, and then vowed to come back when someone was there.

[​IMG]

More to follow on when I went back.
    klaviator, N-Id-Jim, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thoughts On Roads: Not that it's worth much of anything, but my thoughts about roads tend toward binary classifications - fast or slow, country or urban, beautiful or ugly, dull or interesting, bland or colorful, quiet or noisy, peaceful or bustling, classy or pedestrian, etc. Sometimes a fast, dull, noisy and bland bit of pedestrian roadway is useful in getting you to where you want to be. I jumped on this ribbon of interstate and moved with traffic at about 70 mph to reach points north and get back before dinner. Avoiding early morning rush hour made the ride reasonably peaceful and I took this one picture on the way up.

[​IMG]

I used to ride roads like the above in my cruiser days to get from point A cross-country to point B with some modicum of enjoyment in the process. Back then, the road was more the mechanism and less the object of enjoyment. This was especially true of segments like I80 through PA where semis, critters, cold and fog could interrupt your riding reverie. Today, the object of interstate haste is roads like below - smooth, slow, quiet, scenic, country, colorful, peaceful, etc. They're so perfect that you almost can't stand having to go back.

[​IMG]

Thus, the road is both the mechanism to itself and the object of the ride, with less interest in waypoints. Add some bumps and gravel to the mix and you'll have a most satisfying riding concoction that is close to being picture-perfect.

[​IMG]

The old heavy cruisers, Honda and Harley alike, did not like leaf-littered, rutted, gravely and sand/dirt laden roads. The redhead does.
    klaviator, N-Id-Jim, Shaggie and 7 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    October Pic I've Been Messing With: Just a pond scene that I find pleasing. Hope you do also.

[​IMG]
  7. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    Seems very tranquil.
    RedDogAlberta, B10Dave and popscycle like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Abandoned Old Manse: Taken last month, I'd wanted to get a pic of the redhead in front of this this interesting old colonial.

[​IMG]

The smaller structure to the right of the two-story was most likely the original house and has the appearance of those built in the late 1600s or 1700s., The two-story and barn/carriage house are later additions, probably dating to the late 1700s or early 1800s. I was talking to the man in the farmhouse across the road who said he'd tried to buy the place when it came up for foreclosure. We both agreed that it could cost in the neighborhood of a quarter mil to fix it up.

[​IMG]

As these old places go, this one's an architectural and historical gem, especially with the barn/carriage house. Like others of that era, this appears to have been a multi-generational home. The house is located at coordinates 42.575647, -71.650236.
    klaviator, N-Id-Jim, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  9. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “Big House, Little House, Back house, Barn” by Thomas Hubka is a great historical resource regarding New England connected structures.
    popscycle and KMichael like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Beils! I think another book is about to make it's way into our connected and book-laden (new) carriage house.
    B10Dave and Beils like this.
  11. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    We'll be seeing this house again soon in an upcoming episode of Fixer Upper.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I wish. Would have made a great candidate for "This Old House" back in the day. There's another abandoned place just several houses down. I have a pic of it somewhere.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The Thing: I was riding past Quabbin reservoir this morning and thought I'd turn in and see if there was any color. There wasn't but there was this thing way out in the water. I couldn't see what it was so I used all 600 mm of zoom and this is what I saw.

[​IMG]

Zooming in some more with software (i.e., Photoshop), the thing looks like this.

[​IMG]

It has all the appearances of a cross between a floating weather station, lightning detection system and 1950s computer console. I haven't done any research on it, hoping someone here might know so I don't have to.

Edit Update: Curiosity got the better of me and I had to go looking and, voila, I found a picture of a similar device on Lake George. The one on Lake George, shown below, is a floating, robotic platform that takes underwater measurements .

[​IMG]

Source: ars technica.
    klaviator, N-Id-Jim, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  14. KMichael

KMichael Go Explore

Oddometer:
    UFO. Unidentified Floating Object.
  15. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd guess it's a gizmo to monitor temperature, oxygen levels, salinity, and turbidity, keep track of water ciurcualtion patterns stratification, and make sure the lake is healthy. Either that or it's one of the new Robofishers :D
    B10Dave, KMichael and popscycle like this.
  16. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Out for a ride on my Himalayan yesterday and happened to catch a CSX coal train as it crossed the Mulberry Fork of the Black Warrior River in Garden City, AL. Not the greatest pictures but train! 2 power units in front and 1 at the end of the train. Just missed another freight train at the same location today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, N-Id-Jim, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  17. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I did the trans-mass-trail both ways yesterday. Colors in the central Berkshires are beautiful (e.g. Becket to Ashfield), they get muted when you get east of that. No pics because we had to cover 200+ miles of dirt, no time for stops!

Also, found a fantastic sandwich place off the beaten path: https://www.yelp.com/biz/bba-deli-market-south-deerfield

Hot pastrami grinder with coleslaw was fantastic!
    KMichael and popscycle like this.
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    LOL, for years I wanted some robo-thing that would take my topwater lure out into weedy places so I wouldn't have to lug a boat around. That said, the thing on Quabbin looks like an offshoot of the "Jefferson Project" - a joint venture between IBM and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Video below.

Shaggie and KMichael like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The train gods were smiling! You got some outstanding pics of train moving (that last one is a gem) and I managed to catch a PA consist actually moving through the yard (more pics to follow later). Thanks for taking the time to shoot/share the shots!! Sometimes, though, I almost hate it when a train interrupts a perfectly good ride. : - )

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, Shaggie, KMichael and 3 others like this.
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    American Bandstand: Just some pictures of town bandstands taken on various rides. All but one were taken during the last several months. The first one below was taken today.

[​IMG]
    Bandstands were a big deal when I was a toddler. We'd have a picnic in the park and the band would play.

[​IMG]

Some towns have weekly farmer's markets where one of more musicians play in the bandstand.

[​IMG]

In some other towns, the bandstand seems to be just be for old time's sake.

[​IMG]

In times past politicians used to pontificate from these bandstands.

[​IMG]

Regardless, they're still nice places to stop.
    klaviator, zookster, N-Id-Jim and 5 others like this.