1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Emma Berry Redux: I think this is the last of pics of the Emma Berry Noanc Smack taken this year.

[​IMG]

Taken last August, this shows you how far behind I am on converting pics.
    Shaggie, klaviator, GAS GUY and 6 others like this.
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Poor shot of the print in my entry way. Space there is tight and bad reflections.

4109CE40-2527-4A3A-8D95-E0FADE556B76.jpeg
  3. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Frye's Measure Mill: The old mill (with the hit and miss engine) I found while rooting around in the NH woods is known as Frye's Measure Mill and it is located west and a little north of Wilton NH off Burton Highway at coordinates 42.856669, -71.788424.

[​IMG]

The mill was started in 1858 by Daniel Cragin, who ran it until 1909 when it was taken over by Whitney Frye. Thus, it is called Frey's Measure Mill as the product is measures - round or oval, wooden containers that were usually made and sold in five sizes (i.e. quart, two quart, four quart, peck and half-bushel), often as a nested set. Back in the day, farmers, merchants, fishermen, housewives, storekeepers, etc. used these measures to conduct trade or barter of dry goods that the measures would hold.

[​IMG]

I arrived to find one of the workers taking a break in the yard. She let me know that shop was only open on certain hours on Saturday and that they didn't allow people into the mill. I am guessing this might have something to do with insurance. So, no inside pictures for us.

[​IMG]

The mill produces a number of these wooden containers that are now called boxes (i.e., shaker boxes, oval colonial boxes, etc.) of certain sizes and capacities. In looking around, it is hard to miss the hit and miss engine up by the door and the old wooden crane by the driveway. Also on the property was this building, labeled as the Engine House. We've no idea what this was used for if not old fire engines.

[​IMG]

The kicker to all this is that (I am told) the mill still operates by water power. The water level was very low when I was last there. No water was coming over the dam and the stream was almost dry.

[​IMG]

Any way you look at this place, though, it is a gem to be preserved. I was told it is the last water-powered measure mill left in the U.S.
    Shaggie, klaviator, GAS GUY and 7 others like this.
  4. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Another CSX freight train this afternoon on the way home, just a few miles south of the river crossing shown in my previous photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator, B10Dave, KMichael and 2 others like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Bring Out Yer Dead: When I was last at the Palmer (MA) diamond talking with some railfans, the subject of Pan Am being up for sale came up. Nobody had seen anything moving at the Deerfield yard of late, making folks think the RR itself was about to kick the bucket. When I stopped by the yard several days ago, the usual cast of characters were still asleep at the switch.

[​IMG]

I no sooner said to my self, "This place is really dead" when I heard the rumble of a diesel and, wonder of wonders, one came into the yard.

[​IMG]

It was a rare sight - the "I'm not dead" that came limping down the track.. I had to take another picture in the context of the yard while the body was still moving and breathing. It didn't look all that well.

[​IMG]

Watching this unusual sight for a while, I noticed some type of cars go by that I'd never seen before.

[​IMG]

In searching around, I found similar pictures labeled as 2-unit articulated bulk container cars and trash cars. Beyond that, I've no clue but they're new to me.
    Shaggie, klaviator, zookster and 2 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Village That Time Forgot: While plying the back roads of New England, you sometimes come across places that make you stop and think. In this case, it was a couple of structures out in the middle of nowhere. The structures were an old church and adjacent building that looking like an old town hall or meeting house. The church is what first caught my eye.

[​IMG]

After getting back home, I learned this was once the town center of Wilton, NH, and is now thought of as the west village. A log church was first built here in 1752 with a replacement started in 1773. In those days, everyone supported the meetinghouse/church structure. In April 1773, the residents of Wilton voted to provide six barrels of rum, a barrel of brown sugar, half a box of lemons and two loaves of loaf sugar for framing and raising the meetinghouse/church building. Despite a construction accident (i.e., a beam broke) the killed and injured a number of people, the structure was completed in 1775.

[​IMG]

In 1859, the church burned and the above structure was completed in 1865. Next door to the left (i.e., south) of the church above is the old town meeting house, shown below.

[​IMG]

Built in 1860, the meeting house replaced previous structures and served as the town hall until around 1883 when Wilton's population and town government shifted east. The move was prompted by the arrival of the railroad and mill operations that sprang up along the Souhegan River. The sign on the building explains.

[​IMG]

There are also some very nice older homes in close proximity. One of them, shown below, illustrates how New England folks expanded their homes to house extended families.

[​IMG]

Always in a hurry to get back to riding and cover more territory, I should have taken more shots of this picturesque area.
    Shaggie, zookster, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Larger than many hotels in the region. :eekers
    popscycle likes this.
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice history lesson John... who knew that back in the day you could muster tradesmen from all walks of life to raise said meeting house with the promise of rum and free entertainment from the townsfolk... :drink :freaky :beer
    klaviator, popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Some Road Pics: Just some misc. road pics taken in the last several weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, zookster, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  10. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Water Color: Some various pond and wetland scenes of late, the first of which shows more muted colors for this time of year.

[​IMG]

In some places, there's not much color at all.

[​IMG]

Round a bend in the road and you can be faced with an explosion of color. This seems to be the case on smaller ponds.

[​IMG]

It seems, though, as if wetlands peripheral areas have much less fall color.

[​IMG]

More to follow, as we're just getting out again following days of colder, rainy weather.
    Shaggie, zookster, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  11. popscycle

Oddometer:
    More Color: After managing to get my RAW converter working again (i.e., multiple unstall, restart, install, restart, etc.) I managed to get one file converted today. Shown below, it's some of the better fall color I encountered while out riding.

[​IMG]

This was the only spot on the small lake with brilliant foliage. Also, the afternoon sun helped
    Shaggie, zookster, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    John; I can't see your pics in your posts now. Never had a problem before. If I right click them and hit open image in a new tab they will open.
  13. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    I'm experiencing the same problem with Google Chrome which is my normal browser. Just for the heck of it I tried MS Edge and your photos showed up just fine. Zookster's photos above (which are on smugmug) showed up fine in both browsers. Does anyone know if there is a setting on Chrome or on ADVRider that has changed recently?

By the way, I'm still enjoying your photos John, just taking a little longer to see them.

Wayne
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    People had issues with Google Chrome way back when I was running several (non pictorial) web sites. Users had so much trouble with it back then that I refused to support it and would give them a message to that effect if chrome was detected on signup or login.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. popscycle

Oddometer:
    What browser are you using and was it recently updated? Also, there has been a few reports of internet link problems. I've also noticed that other people's pictures have been extremely/painfully slow load at time, which suggests issues with links to other image servers.
    B10Dave likes this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    On Quiet Pond: A favorite resting place that's always quiet and peaceful. I always thought it looked like a good fishing spot. It wasn't, though.

[​IMG]

It's been well over a decade since I last put a canoe in there. Never caught much after many days of beating the water to death with top baits, spinners, jigs, minnows, crankbait, etc. The only thing caught was some tiny, tooth-laden, pissed-off pickerel. Maybe if I'd bottom fished it with some good sized worms injected with air (so as to float just off the bottom), I might have caught something that weighed more than pound.
    zookster, klaviator, black 8 and 3 others like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics all there today John. I use Google Chrome on an extremely outdated computer and it doesn't get upgrades anymore. First time with pic no shows on yours or anyone else's threads. Never checked yesterday on my Chrome Book. Maybe I should have.
    popscycle likes this.
  18. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are just 30yd roll off dumpsters stacked on a flatbed. We used to transport some by rail back north.
    popscycle likes this.
  19. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not seeing pics either. All other posts on advrider display correctly.

I can see pics that others have posted to this thread. Also, looking back through the thread, now I can't see any older pics either (e.g. last year).
  20. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. Suggest you try a different browser to see if there's problems with the one you are using. As best I can tell from my own FTP connection and feedback from others around the US, there's no problem with my image server that we know of.