1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface: The (old) Long and (new) Short Of It All

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by popscycle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pain In The Butt Scenery: I brought the redhead to a stop in the middle of a bridge over Millers River several days ago, thinking it would make a nice pic. The problem, though, was that there was a big, fat ugly cable running across the river in the picture. It was a pain in the ass but I removed the cable in Photoshop.

[​IMG]

Had it not been raining cats and dogs, I wouldn't have spent the time. As it was, the effort took my mind off not riding during peak color. Around here, that's mid October and, so far, we've more rainy days than sunny ones this period.
    black 8, Shaggie, zookster and 8 others like this.
  2. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Muted Color Along The Road: There are some pics, like this and the previous one, where having a bike in the picture is an unwanted distraction.

[​IMG]

When there's nothing to take out of a picture (e.g. an ugly power line or cable), why put a bike in it?
    black 8, Shaggie, zookster and 6 others like this.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Our leaves are pretty much gone. The white shit is all around us but not here yet. I saw a couple die hard riders out yesterday around the freezing mark (0c), but most bikes down for the winter.
    popscycle likes this.
  4. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Well, I am glad to hear you're not snowed in yet but, damn, the thought of no leaves and a bike on a battery tender is depressing. I'd better make hay while the sun's still shining on what leaves we have left.
    klaviator, B10Dave and RedDogAlberta like this.
  5. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Revisiting Monroe Bridge: The only times I cross Monroe Bridge are when I am on a longer day ride (i.e., 200 miles plus) going up to or returning from the Green Mountains of VT. Such jaunts are less often these days as the old bones get a little more stiff each year, especially the butt and knees. Anyway I did cross over the Deerfield at Monroe 7 days ago and took a few pictures, as I tend to do each year to check the fall color. Going back a few years to the fall of 2016, the old wooden mill on the north side of the bridge was still standing, as shown below.

[​IMG]

That old wooden structure was torn down, the foundation rebuilt up to road level and a small park known as the Monroe Bridge Overlook was created.

[​IMG]

The little park isn't very big but you have an interesting view of the bridge and Deerfield River.

[​IMG]

During summer months, the kayakers, tubers and rafters put in across the river, especially when water from upstream dams is released.

[​IMG]

Just across the bridge is the old rail bed, now a road and trail. Tracks and station are long gone. The road turns into a river put-in and trail just off to the right. To the left, the road winds uphill and around to the where the Yankee atomic power plant used to be before environmentalists and other vested interests killed it. This did, of course, make the state more dependent on outside power sources (e.g., Canada).

[​IMG]

You get a good view of the Deerfield River and old paper mill from the bridge.

[​IMG]

Below is a better view of the river as it flows downstream.

[​IMG]

Color wasn't peak but it was getting close.
    Shaggie, zookster, CamoColton and 7 others like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Dam Color: I forgot to convert the shot that looks up river from Monroe Bridge, looking at the dam.

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, zookster, jeickerman and 3 others like this.
  7. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Color On The Rail Trailhead: Some shots taken several days ago at the head of a rail trail north of us.

[​IMG]

From another angle:

[​IMG]

Looking the other way, I was too lazy to move the redhead.

[​IMG]

This spot had some of the best color around.
    Shaggie, zookster, jeickerman and 4 others like this.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    October 15 Ride: I got the redhead out again on the 15th for a 225 mile ride. Starting out around 9, I wanted to check out the foliage in the northwestern part of the state.

[​IMG]

I didn't stop until I got west of I91 and north of the Mohawk trail. The first stop was at the supposedly-haunted, Eunice Williams bridge. It was named for a woman who was murdered crossing the river at this spot in March of 1704.

[​IMG]

Farther on, I crossed a number of scenic brooks.

[​IMG]

The lesser-traveled roads were a joy to ride. Carrying only the big camera, I had to pull over to take pics. With no traffic, this was not a problem.

[​IMG]

More streams:

[​IMG]

More pics to follow with I get them converted.
    zookster, CamoColton, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  9. popscycle

Oddometer:
    October 15 Ride - Part 2: Perhaps it is worth repeating that the pics I post here are not about me or my things. They are about what I see, however flawed that me be, when I am riding. To that end, it takes a good amount of time to draw the detail and colors out of the RAW files that come from the camera. In the picture below, I stopped to take a pic of a house having style common in the late 1700s. In the normal, automatic conversion from RAW, the sunlit areas were too bright and the shaded areas too dark, so I wanted to coax a balanced dynamic range of light and dark from the file.

[​IMG]

The challenge is not blowing out the colors so they look more brilliant than they really are. To many fall photos do just that.

[​IMG]

Sometimes sunlight shining directly at things in front of you (e.g., leaves) can make the colors scream a little more in the photo than in reality and you need to back down the highlights.

[​IMG]

Sometimes you get lucky and don't have to do much of anything. When out riding, I don't want to spend time taking a lot of pictures or messing with different settings. It's get out the camera, check to see it is on AUTO, take one pic and get back to riding. If there's time to be spent on the pictures, it will be at home, when I am not riding and not during the ride.

[​IMG]

This was a nice bit of road. I only encountered one other car and no other motorcycles.

[​IMG]

More to follow.
    black 8, zookster, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  10. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    beautiful colors in the autumn forest. beautyful area. Thanks for sharing
    popscycle likes this.
  11. RickyBilly

RickyBilly Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    Maybe they are for some form of chemical as I see a bracket for a dangerous good placard
    popscycle likes this.
  12. popscycle

Oddometer:
    Good catch! Thanks for your thoughts on this. It is another avenue for me to investigate.
  13. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Quick Walk In The Park: A quick stretch stop in the park where I took a couple of pictures exactly one week ago. At this particular place and time, most colors were muted.

[​IMG]

When you walked closer to the water, things looked better with mores sunlight.

[​IMG]

Anyway, these are places I always visit around mid-October on my fall rides.
    black 8, zookster, GAS GUY and 4 others like this.
  14. popscycle

Oddometer:
    October 15 Ride - Part 3: The redhead and I spent some happy hours combing the back roads for fall color.

[​IMG]

There were the usually stock of maple sugar houses, closed and waiting for spring to start making syrup and sugar again.

[​IMG]

Some of these back roads have seen better days, making you long for gravel. This particular stretch leads into one of the state's smallest towns.

[​IMG]

After scooting around in the hills a bit, we came down into the Deerfield River valley for a short run back east.

[​IMG]

This is a very scenic stretch along the Mohawk Trail, the western portion of which is the state's "Leaf Peeper Highway" during fall foliage. I pulled off and stopped at the first bit of wide shoulder that had gravel.

[​IMG]

No sooner had I stopped and gotten the camera out of the bag when several other cars pulled up and people poured out with their cell phones. One car pulled up into the spot where I stood taking the above pic. Despite the new gathering, I did get in several more pics.

[​IMG]

Having grown up in a small river town, I have to admit I like rivers, especially those that are clean and clear.

[​IMG]

One more post on this ride to follow. With crap weather in the forecast today, I should get the pics converted
    black 8, zookster, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful timing for such fantastic shots. The white sh*t has arrived. Soon I can wear pants. Apart from riding, I only wear shorts until after the World Series is over. Currently -8ºc. I've also discovered the KTM 390 Duke. It seems perfect. I don't know what that's about as I've generally mocked KTM's as they always seem to need repair in many trip reports. This motorcycle wandering usually begins with the arrival of the white sh*t. There'll be months more of it ahead.
    black 8 and popscycle like this.
  16. popscycle

Oddometer:
    My days in front of the fire place with a good book and cup of coffee or tea start with the arrival of that white sh*t. I think it was it was sometime around 2015 that I quite riding in the snow and ice.
    B10Dave, RedDogAlberta and GAS GUY like this.
  17. popscycle

Oddometer:
    A Reminder of Zoom, Zoom: And it's not our old Mazda Miata that I am referring to. With a little help from others, I was reminded of the value of a good, built-in, optical zoom lens. First, it lets me reach out and grab some pics that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten, such as the one below that was taken back in 2018. It was taken handheld at or near the 600 mm limit of the RX10 zoom standing on a bridge over the river. The heron was way upstream and I would have likely missed him if I wasn't scanning the old structure thru the zoomed-out camera lens.

[​IMG]

Second, having a good lens built-in means you don't have to fuss with different lenses while on a ride. The downside is, as always with good cameras, cost. I had to save my shekels for a good bit for this camera (i.e., Sony RX10 iv).
  18. popscycle

Oddometer:
    October 15 Ride - Part 4 Final: The last part of this fall foliage ride was mostly taken in or around towns and villages, such as the view below.

[​IMG]

I managed to get a couple of church shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some streets were more colorful than others. Tree color along the street below really jumped out at you.

[​IMG]

The old street below, not so much.

[​IMG]

Farther down the street above, however, was this colorful old colonial.

[​IMG]

At this point, I packed up the camera in the pannier and headed for home, which was 1.75 hours and nearly 100 miles away.
    klaviator, black 8, Shaggie and 4 others like this.
  19. popscycle

Oddometer:
    An Autumn Spring: That would be a small spring as it looks in the autumn - a view that I like taken from a small wooden bridge.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, Shaggie, zookster and 2 others like this.
  20. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    cool colors
    popscycle likes this.